Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in a leaf but need to do 82 miles is this achievable in a mk2 leaf

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
See here...

http://speakev.com/threads/a-dealer-that-quotes-a-realistic-range-surely-not.1223/

I would say that the honest answer is possibly but that depends on a number of things. The terrain, the speed you drive, whether you are prepared to drive without heating in winter, whether you have the possibility of charging on route in an emergency, how carefully you drive etc.

Mark Tebbutt has a Mk2 and commutes about 84 miles every day but he has several "bolt holes" that he can use on his route that he can use if things look tight and he has needed to use them occasionally. When he doesn't he arrives home with zero remaining sometimes... not my idea of relaxed driving. He has had to be recovered too. Again, not my idea of fun.

I have even done 82 miles in my Mk1 but it was in summer, and slowly!

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Yes. With care every day. Comfortably.(I did it today and do it most days)

But....if driving at 70 on the motorway is important to you. With the heater on. Accelerating quickly around town. All these things can impact your range and may make it less than what you need on some days.

Look at the maps of chargers in your area. Get the 6kw charger. This can make adding range in a lunch break or while at the shops or in a meeting trivial.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
with the Zoe you can charge at 7kw 22kw (43kw rapid) at public charge posts, the leaf is 7kw only and (50kw dc rapid) maybe the Zoe will give you a little more flexibility, but the leaf can charge at 3kw 13am plug, very slow about 8/10 hours to charge, the Zoe does not have this. Update the zoe now has a 3pin charger but it takes about 15hours to charge from dead.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
They are bringing out a 13am charging lead soon for the zoe , but i have so much more range compared to a leaf, in 6700miles ive never find my self needing one. the only time i was thank full for having it was when i test drove the a leaf for the weekend and i was thinking it could do the same 86mile trip just the same as my Zoe, but god i was wrong it got to my Girlfriends house 76 miles had to plug it in for 9 hours, the charge post is 10 miles more up the road from my girlfriends. The Zoe can get there with about 25 miles left maybe more when i get to the charger 43KW at fleet services, so i can use the car why i'm there, but the leaf was dead weight no good for the trip. The Zoe has the most versatile charging ability. There are only to two cars that i know of that can use the 22KW charger eg ecotricity ones to there full capacity is the tesla and the zoe. so its not a Achilles heel at all, as the leaf can not Match up to the Zoe for charging ability. (13am leaf yes Zoe no) (7kw charge post leaf only 6.6 kw Zoe full 7kw from the post) (22kw post leaf 6.6kw max Zoe 22kw full power from the post) (rapid charger 50kw for the leaf 80% in 30min Zoe 43kw AC 80% in 30min ps Zoe has smaller battery thats why its still 30min), and god forbid you did run out of charge Renault will pick you up for free.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
I am interested in a leaf but need to do 82 miles is this achievable in a mk2 leaf
Yes. But like Mr Churchley rightly points out, it is entirely dependent on your driving style, the terrain, and the weather.

Even with the worst hills and a headwind you could still get 85 miles from a full charge, but it would involve slowing down. A lot. I've done it quite a few times since getting my leaf, but it wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun. It will probably be easier in the summer months.

I'm guessing you're from Cambridge? If I remember correctly, it's pretty flat round there. So you might get away with it.

Speak to Marshalls in Bury St Edmunds & get a demo leaf for 24 hours :)

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your replies, im happy to do 55mph and no fast pull aways, im in the motortrade so I understand petrol and diesel but electric is a whole new ball game.
Im having a leaf on a extended test drive so will have to wait to see, currently im driving a smart diesel and have got 82 mpg so im a fairly economical driver

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes. But like Mr Churchley rightly points out, it is entirely dependent on your driving style, the terrain, and the weather.

Even with the worst hills and a headwind you could still get 85 miles from a full charge, but it would involve slowing down. A lot. I've done it quite a few times since getting my leaf, but it wasn't pretty and it wasn't fun. It will probably be easier in the summer months.

I'm guessing you're from Cambridge? If I remember correctly, it's pretty flat round there. So you might get away with it.

Speak to Marshalls in Bury St Edmunds & get a demo leaf for 24 hours :)
Nooo my name is Gary Csmbridge

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
They are bringing out a 13am charging lead soon for the zoe
Well, yes and no. What they are bringing out is an updated Zoe with an on-board charger capable of charging properly below 16A. You won't be able to buy a current spec Zoe and then add a "13A" lead when available as it will not have the updated on-board circuitry. Actually the current Zoe can be connected to a "13A" EVSE (actually 10A) but the charging efficiency is so poor at this level that it will take close to 24 hours to charge apparently.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Indeed, the lack of 13 amp charging is a real Achilles heel for the Zoe, a real oversight and why I'd never buy one.
Very easy to build/buy a portable EVSE that will charge the ZOE down to 6A... However, it's much slower than a Leaf to charge below 16A so many would regard it as impractical.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Well, yes and no. What they are bringing out is an updated Zoe with an on-board charger capable of charging properly below 16A. You won't be able to buy a current spec Zoe and then add a "13A" lead when available as it will not have the updated on-board circuitry. Actually the current Zoe can be connected to a "13A" EVSE (actually 10A) but the charging efficiency is so poor at this level that it will take close to 24 hours to charge apparently.
You are wrong I talk to Renault about this, the leaf does not have a on bord charger only the zoe does, that why when you use the rapid charger your info is displayed on the rapid charger itself, When the Zoe is using a rapid Charger all the information is displayed on the car's dashboard. Renault said it will not need an update it will take 9 to 10 hours to charge the car, you should look up what a Chameleon charger is

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Very easy to build/buy a portable EVSE that will charge the ZOE down to 6A... However, it's much slower than a Leaf to charge below 16A so many would regard it as impractical.
As in impractical as waiting 10hours to charge a leaf as it stands now. I would sure say

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I really do feel like some of you guys really do knock the Zoe big time over a13am plug. I was thinking it would come a time were I would really find it handy to have one but there so many chargers about I have never found it. The guy asked about needing a car that do 80+ miles, and there is always someone that shoots the Zoe down over a 13am plug. I know he was looking at a leaf but Milton Keynes has the e-up available for test drives and we have. A i3 down here as well, VW told me the e-up is 17k no battery rental, should be a nice little car.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You are wrong I talk to Renault about this, the leaf does not have a on bord charger only the zoe does
Sorry, but it is you that is wrong in that respect. The Leaf does have an AC charger on the car. It is either 16A charger if it is a Mk1 or can be a 16A or a 32A (as an option) charger if it is a mk2.

It doesn't have a DC charger.

I certainly don't get the impression people "knock" the Zoe. I get the impression people don't like the Zoe! Big difference. I would not even consider the Zoe until it could charge on a 13A socket.

You like the Zoe and that is great but please don't expect us all to like it just because you do. We all have our own opinions.

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
You are wrong I talk to Renault about this, the leaf does not have a on bord charger only the zoe does, that why when you use the rapid charger your info is displayed on the rapid charger itself, When the Zoe is using a rapid Charger all the information is displayed on the car's dashboard. Renault said it will not need an update it will take 9 to 10 hours to charge the car, you should look up what a Chameleon charger is
From the offical Leaf specifications:
http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/LEAF Brochure.pdf
LeafCharger.png

Renault tend to keep info about the low-end charging issues closely guarded, but there were quite a few news stories about this last year, such as this:
http://www.motornature.com/2013/09/the-renault-zoe-will-plug-into-a-conventional-wall-socket-with-a-new-smaller-charger/

Rubbish I've never found that I can't get a charge from some were,
I'm happy for you that you have never needed to use a 13A socket. I have needed it many times in my EV. People have different requirements.

As in impractical as waiting 10hours to charge a leaf as it stands now. I would sure say
Can you tell me where the 10 hour figure comes from? I have heard figures of 20 hours or more quoted for 10A charging a Zoe.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
You and me have talked about this before the 13am plug thing, the ac charger on the leaf is fix ac charge port at 3kw or 6.6kw, talks to nissan about it, they told me it has fixed AC circuit board that would only accept 3kw/6.6kw it does not have a on-board charger, the Zoe does that's why it can take 3 different chargers through the same AC port. I know your stand on the Zoe, and people knock things they don't like, I think I'm just just a little sick of every time i say look at the Zoe, someone makes a big thing about the 13am plug. As the leaf achilles heel is it's range.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
From the offical Leaf specifications:
http://www.nissan.co.uk/content/dam/services/gb/brochure/LEAF Brochure.pdf
View attachment 374

Renault tend to keep info about the low-end charging issues closely guarded, but there were quite a few news stories about this last year, such as this:
http://www.motornature.com/2013/09/the-renault-zoe-will-plug-into-a-conventional-wall-socket-with-a-new-smaller-charger/

I'm happy for you that you have never needed to use a 13A socket. I have needed it many times in my EV. People have different requirements.

Can you tell me where the 10 hour figure comes from? I have heard figures of 20 hours or more quoted for 10A charging a Zoe.
Renault told me about it as they said the first time they tried to use a 13am plug it melted the cable. And in the post they say it all it's a over night charger, same as the leaf it's a over night charger

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
You and me have talked about this before the 13am plug thing, the ac charger on the leaf is fix ac charge port at 3kw or 6.6kw, talks to nissan about it, they told me it has fixed AC circuit board that would only accept 3kw/6.6kw it does not have a on-board charger,
Please, you are very wrong in this. You really don't know about the Leaf and yet you talk as if you are an expert :rolleyes:

All Nissan Leafs have an AC charger on board at either 16A or 32A. On the Mk1 it is in the hump in the boot, on the Mk2 it is underneath the power stack at the front.

Please stop saying that the Leaf doesn't have an on board charger - IT DOES!

What it doesn't have is a Chameleon charger as the Zoe does. The Chameleon charger will charger at different rates so it can be used for rapid charging.

Renault is clearly not the best place to get information about the Nissan Leaf. You have been misinformed by Renault... I wonder why that could be ;)

1 - 20 of 81 Posts