Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've only owned our 2017 Nissan leaf 30kwh tekna with 53,000 for a couple of weeks, bought from a small dealership. Its showing the full 12 bars battery health. It drives great no problems. That is until I bought a Lelink obd2 off Amazon along with leaf spy and now I'm having kittens as most of the cells are showing red and also my soh is only telling me it's has 83%!.. how can this be when I have no loss on the battery bars. 馃様 Thanks in advance for any help.

Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
The colour of the bars is nothing to worry about - it just means they are balancing if red and balanced if blue.

In terms of your SOH, you are about to loose that 12th bar any day now , but in terms of the pack it has a low differential and does not appear to have any weak cells.

For a truer reading tho, you need to measure it at 100% charge as I see its at 74% so not fully charged, but I would not expect it to alter the SOH tbh.

Reactions: Adie_s

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply. I'll give it a full charge today then give it another reading with leaf spy.
I thought with 12 bars the soh percentage wise would be in the 90s.

Super Moderator
Nope, first one goes at 85%. I've now had five disappear leaving me with 7 bars. 67Ahr capacity is still more than my car had when it was brand new in 2011 :)

Registered
I'm waiting for my 2016 leaf 30 Tekna to drop its first bar any day now. Coming up to 29,000miles. It's all because of the lovely Jane's "little run out today", otherwise it would still be under 15,000 miles. Glad she didn't get this habit until we got the EV, with my 3 litre petrol EOS it would have been a very expensive exercise.o_Oo_O

Reactions: Adie_s and JohnMars

Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
I'm waiting for my 2016 leaf 30 Tekna to drop its first bar any day now. Coming up to 29,000miles. It's all because of the lovely Jane's "little run out today", otherwise it would still be under 15,000 miles. Glad she didn't get this habit until we got the EV, with my 3 litre petrol EOS it would have been a very expensive exercise.o_Oo_O
Just go in "lovely Janes" car!!!!

And at least you can be driven for a change!

Your car is pretty much the same as mine, but Ill be happy with it for another 3-5 years I think, even 80 miles is enough for me where we live.

Registered
The Fiat Panda is a lovely little car and has done us proud - never let us down.
However, it is not the most comfortable ride and long trips are not something I relish in it. We took it from Poole to Kew Gardens for a day trip in 2019 and I can still feel the bumps in my buttocks.....:censored:

Reactions: JohnMars

Registered
Hi all,
I've only owned our 2017 Nissan leaf 30kwh tekna with 53,000 for a couple of weeks, bought from a small dealership. Its showing the full 12 bars battery health. It drives great no problems. That is until I bought a Lelink obd2 off Amazon along with leaf spy and now I'm having kittens as most of the cells are showing red and also my soh is only telling me it's has 83%!.. how can this be when I have no loss on the battery bars. 馃様 Thanks in advance for any help.
A tip when posting Leafspy screenshots publicly - in the settings there is an option to obfuscate the VIN number - that way you can post any screenshots without showing your VIN number or having to manually redact it.... (if you care about that, some people don't)

Since you have Leafspy, I would go into the Service screen (go into settings, tick service screen then press back) then go to the "Read ECU firmware versions". Probably best to hold the device vertically so you can get all the firmware versions in one screenshot.

Post a copy of the firmware versions screen and we can check if your battery management system firmware is up to date - some Leaf 30's shipped with a BMS firmware which dramatically underestimated the SoH of older batteries causing apparent rapid degradation of the battery which was not real, there is a firmware update to address this if your car has one of the bad firmware versions. (Although getting a dealer to apply it is not always easy)

As already mentioned, don't worry about red vs blue bars. The 9mV figure tells you how well the cells are balanced - 9mV is very good. Anything under about 30mV is fine for balance, and it will vary with temperature and state of charge.

Registered
What's your SoH? Why would you be expecting to lose your first bar at 29k miles? I'm just over 90% at 31,000 miles - first bar is lost after the car has been below 85% consistently for a while. I've been keeping a record of my SoH since I've had the Leaf - as you can see it wanders around a lot but there is an overall downwards trend:

Out of interest I tried extrapolating my data forward to @Adie_s 53,134 miles and I get a very close match:

Of course this is only a linear extrapolation, and batteries don't follow a linear degradation rate over their entire life - faster at first during the infant period, then slower for a long time then faster again when they start nearing their cycle life limits... and it doesn't take into account differences in how the battery is treated by the driver (cell temperatures, time spent at high state of charge, deep cycling etc) and the fact that some degradation is cycle based and some is calendar age based (hard to pick them apart if you do a consistent mileage per month as I do) but it is interesting all the same.

If a na茂ve linear extrapolation is to be believed and I don't get any individual cell failures before then I should lose my first bar a bit over 50k miles...

Registered
Simon- don't have any screenshots lately but here are 2 from October 2019 and Nov 2020

As you can see the first is taken at 16532 miles and the second at 25263 miles.
a 5% drop in SOH.

Tony.

Registered
Simon- don't have any screenshots lately but here are 2 from October 2019 and Nov 2020
View attachment 141768

View attachment 141769

As you can see the first is taken at 16532 miles and the second at 25263 miles.
a 5% drop in SOH.

Tony.
Ouch.

What sort of driving does the car see? Do you do a lot of motorways and/or rapid charging or is it more city driving? Charge to 100% every day? Do you use the charge timer to delay charging? Does it get deeply discharged regularly? Just trying to get an idea of how your battery is treated vs mine.

I see in your second photo it was taken at a state of deep discharge so the cell imbalance was quite high here, but what is it at a higher SoC? Regular deep discharges cause cell capacity to diverge between different cells and imbalance to increase - this happened on my Peugeot Ion which was deeply discharged every day in winter to make the necessary journey.

Have you checked your BMS has the updated firmware?

Registered
Ouch.

What sort of driving does the car see? Do you do a lot of motorways and/or rapid charging or is it more city driving? Charge to 100% every day? Do you use the charge timer to delay charging? Does it get deeply discharged regularly? Just trying to get an idea of how your battery is treated vs mine.

I see in your second photo it was taken at a state of deep discharge so the cell imbalance was quite high here, but what is it at a higher SoC? Regular deep discharges cause cell capacity to diverge between different cells and imbalance to increase - this happened on my Peugeot Ion which was deeply discharged every day in winter to make the necessary journey.

Have you checked your BMS has the updated firmware?
Simon- lots of questions, I'll try an answer one by one.
Journeys- mostly country runs, gentle along the New Forest and around the country lanes in Dorset, rarely get over 50mph, most mileage done at about 15-25 mph. The only time my car has seen a motorway is my trip to Blackpool a couple of years ago.
I leave the car charged at about 40-70% most of the time, unless I know there is going to be "a little run out" for the lovely Jane the next day, when it is left on overnight on a cheap tariff timer charge to 100%.
No regular deep discharges, the odd run to Weymouth or Winchester and back to Poole is about the extent of the radius with which I feel is comfortable without dire warnings from the dash. The Winchester run is more problematic because of the bit of motorway on the M27 and M3. When we do the Weymouth run it is a lot slower, we go through Winfrith and the lovely villages around East and West Chaldon average 20mph.

The battery has the updated firmware, yes.

Registered
I don't think that screenshot is showing the LBC firmware version. It's near the bottom of the list and the whole list isn't usually visible in landscape mode without scrolling.

BTW enable VIN obfuscation in the settings in Leafspy and it will randomise the second half of the VIN number then you don't have to scribble it out. :) I leave mine set to obfuscated all the time so I can post screenshots without giving away my VIN.

Registered

Oops!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

Heres a screenshot of the ECU to see if I have the updated firmware.
Thanks again for the replies appreciate it 馃憤

Registered
Heres a screenshot of the ECU to see if I have the updated firmware.
Thanks again for the replies appreciate it 馃憤
As far as I know there is no update available for 4NR6A - so you are on the latest firmware.

Since linear extrapolation of my battery SoH degradation out to the mileage of your car is very similar to what your car is reporting I'd say that your car's SoH is probably par for the course for the mileage it's done so there probably isn't anything wrong as such. Cell balance looks good so there aren't any individual failing cells.

As long as the car drives fine and has the range you want it should be fine - if you buy a higher mileage EV the range is going to be a bit less than a lower mileage one.

Registered
I'm also on 6A, also on just under 60k miles, and also have 12 bars showing despite an SOC in the low 80's.

Mines been below 85% for months. I posted on here about it back in December and it was at 83% then. Its fluctuated as is normal, dont check it lots, but i've seen it down in the 82's, back up in the 83's and its now sitting at 82.4%

Registered
Spoke too soon!

Checked this morning. 11 bars. 81.94%

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Spoke too soon!

Checked this morning. 11 bars. 81.94%
Oh no!!! Expect mine to go down to eleven bars soon then.
The car does drive great tbh with no problems apart from the soh dropping into the low 80s but I can see this is normal now with your post. The range is no problem for us as we use the leaf for local commutes and have a nasty diesel for longer journeys. no chance on buying a Tesla yet.
Thanks again

1 - 20 of 21 Posts