Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have just completed 12 months 9000 miles of living and towing with the A3 etron. The mpg worked out at 83mpg over that distance. All our local running is on electric,longer journeys we start with a full battery and set the car in hybrid mode. Towing or solo we travel at 60mph where possible. Included in the above mileage was 3 towing trips, Carnoustie in Scotland, Perranporth in Cornwall, Cambridge. The towing mpg range from 26-32mpg. This towing mpg compares well with out 2litre TDi Seat Altea automatic which used to return 28-30mpg on similar journeys.For our life style we find it a brilliant vehicle.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Is this yet another silly post by a PHEV owner who just repeats the nonsense statistics presented by the manufacturer.

Think about it. MPG stands for MILES PER GALLON. The GALLON is Fuel (petrol or derv). How many miles did you really travel propelled by petrol, Divide that by the number of gallons of petrol consumed. That is your MPG.

If you want to do some real maths with a common denominator, use energy terms (MJ or kWh).

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi Johen
Looks like you have upset the Crusaders of BEV (COBEVS).

What (mpg) you get out of your car depends on your life style and driving style. But COBEVS have small minds about the size of an electron orbit.

I had a A3 etron for 3.5 years and adding the equivalent gals of petrol that i could have bought with what i spent on electricity to petrol used i got 86mg over 27k miles.

Enjoy your car.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Hi Johen,

We are considering an A3 e-Tron for local and towing. Can I ask whether yours came with a factory fitted tow bar, or whether you got one fitted?

It looks to have a greater tow rating than an outlander PHEV which surprised me. We are looking to tow an ~1500kg caravan.

Regards

LeafEV

·
Registered
264 Posts
Is this yet another silly post by a PHEV owner who just repeats the nonsense statistics presented by the manufacturer.
I just did my first year in my near identical (tech-wise) Golf GTE Advance covering 9,500 miles and only put £150 petrol in it from new (recorded fills) and still currently have half a tank (180 mile petrol range).

So at current price of ~ £5.70/gallon that's 26 gallon therefore 9,500 miles / 26 gallon = 365mpg electro/petrol equivalent. My own personal charging at home cost me ~ £110

I'm really happy with that :) especially as 50%+ of my charging is at work for free ;)

Can be very economical if your driving pattern fits the PHEV car range (and no range anxiety or public chargers). Only a couple grand more than the Golf GTD too with the discount.

So 9,500 / (£150+£110) = 2.8p/mile cost to me. One service cost me £155. Tax at £130

The Golf R it replaced averaged 30mpg so would have cost me £1,805 in petrol. And that's without having many 0-4.5s fun moments! Still have some slightly less fun 0-6.7s in my GTE too.

·
Registered
76 Posts
The perfect example of everything that is wrong with this forum. The guy is a new member and sharing his experiences. It is not a silly post at all, its totally appropriate and in a PHEV specific forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts