Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have just filled up with 97 Oct. fuel - and am thinking maybe I should have checked the manual first...

I don’t have it with me, so can anyone tell me whether the GTE plays nice with expensive fuel? Thanks!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Manual says "Refuel only with petrol that has the specified or a higher Research Octane Number (RON)." Only has a warning about using a lower rating.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,128 Posts
Have just filled up with 97 Oct. fuel - and am thinking maybe I should have checked the manual first...

I don’t have it with me, so can anyone tell me whether the GTE plays nice with expensive fuel? Thanks!
Someone on here was saying that he got more power with the 97 octane fuel.

Never tried it myself. Plenty power for me already!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Have just filled up with 97 Oct. fuel - so can anyone tell me whether the GTE plays nice with expensive fuel? Thanks!
All I can say is that with Golf GTE running on BP Ultimate over 4 years never got the message to run ICE due to deterioration of fuel octane value.

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Over the four years of ownership of my previous Golf GTE - I truly believe that the car ran better on the higher octane fuel.
Not just for out and out performance, but the car just felt happier running on it.
Can not really explain why, it just did some how ?.
I had a 1.4 TSI ACT GT before my GTE and the difference on running on the higher grade fuel was really noticeable.
As you know, the ACT refers to the the cars ability to run on two cylinders when at low power demands and therefore saves on fuel costs.
It is a very clever system and works really well.
When the car detects more power is required, it automatically brings back the other two cylinders into play.
The change over is pretty much seamless, but when running on the higher grade fuel it is so smooth you can never tell when you are running on 2 or 4 cylinders !.
Again - it just ran much smoother on the higher grade fuel.
I did try switching back to standard unleaded a few times, just to see if I could spot the difference and yes I could.
I did fill my ACT GT with super market ONCE.
That did not end well, when we ended up on the side of the road a few days later when the car suddenly went into limp mode, with the dash had more lights than a Christmas tree !.
I was advised by the senior tech ( also a friend ) never to run the car on super market fuel.
After this little incident, I aways ran the car on BP Ultimate high octane fuel.
Never missed a beat on BOTH cars after that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good info as always (y)

I keep hearing bad things about supermarket fuel - admittedly, mostly diesel though. Definitely going to play it safe and stick to premium unleaded.

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,128 Posts
Good info as always (y)

I’ve keep hearing bad things about supermarket fuel - admittedly, mostly diesel though. Definitely going to play it safe and stick to premium unleaded.
I have bought most of my petrol and deisel from supermarkets for the last 50 years with no ill effect. I don't run high performance cars at full throttle, of course.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Higher octane fuel is generally less susceptible to 'knocking' and therefore is better than lower octane fuel.

There is some exception as really high octane fuel (avgas for instance, used by some aviation piston engines) can damage a regular car engine. But you won't find that on your forecourt any time soon.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts