Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talking to Matt today I had an idea. Recently I purchased a 16A wired charge point unit. Rather than fix it to the wall as intended I might fit a comando plug. If the Nissan offering is the brick then is mine the rugby ball. That way If I find a comando plug in the wild I can have the full 16A rather than adapt to 13A plug and have 10A. At work I can put in a 16A feed to a comando plug so the charge point becomes movable. I will probably be braking 101 EU rules but I don't care. Lets face it none of the other EU members do anything they don't want to.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Forget rules... it just won't be as safe... I wouldn't do it.

I have a spare 32A Pod-Point wall unit (off the wall) and have often wished I could use it away from home but it really wouldn't be safe IMO.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Forget rules... it just won't be as safe... I wouldn't do it.

I have a spare 32A Pod-Point wall unit (off the wall) and have often wished I could use it away from home but it really wouldn't be safe IMO.
It's just an attractive EVSE. As long as you get it tested properly, surely there is no problem ?

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
We offer such a solution under one of our propositions (rentable temporary 32A Chargepoint via AlphaElectric) BUT, you really don't want to use such a setup without an isolation transformer, and those things aren't "portable", they're just "transportable".

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
For starters... possible water ingress as it is intended for use mounted on a wall... inadequate cable security and clamping - could result in cables being pulled away from the unit while in use.

There is also the issue of whether it could be considered negligent if someone got hurt thereby making any insurance claims unsafe.

There is also the image it portrays to others... it makes EV drivers look like a bunch of DIY enthusiasts if they use equipment that is not designed and built for the purpose... although I expect most people don't give a hoot about that if it saves them a few quid.

I can appreciate that people will want to do it but IMO it really isn't worth it.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Also many (if not all) Mode 2 cables check for an earth on the supply side, but a Mode 3 charger mounted on a lead and plug rather than hard wired won't, so you risk not knowing if the earth connection fails.

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
I don't follow the logic of the water ingress. Surely the wall mounted charge points sit outside in the rain anyway ?

Bearing in mind the issues people have had with the Vauxhall supplied Evse, this doesn't really seem all that much different.....
But then that is why I am not an electrician.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I don't follow the logic of the water ingress. Surely the wall mounted charge points sit outside in the rain anyway ?
When it is on the wall it is upright and stationary. Once it is installed and sealed nothing changes. If it is not wall -mounted then there is the potential for mounting holes and cable inlets to leak. Also, all seals assume that the unit is upright and stationary. On it's back, front or at an angle may mean that seals may no longer be water-tight/resistant.

If people have the old style Vauxhall EVSE they should return it to their dealer and get it replaced under warranty. It is unacceptable in the Vauxhall EVSE to have cabling/plug/water issues.

:)

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Fair points, well made.
I can just about live with 3.3kw charging, I haven't used the vauxhall evse since September, and don't envisage using it anytime soon....
In fact I haven't come across a commando socket in ages either. My world in changing, and a leaf looks like a good fit now ! ;)

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I often find in Life there is a substantial difference between what an individual considers safe and what can be approved as safe by a large scale organisation. The individual thinks there is a 1 in 20000 chance of a problem I will keep an eye on it. The Gov thinks we have got 200000 instances and 10 problems is unacceptable.

Recently I replaced some weather resistant outside sockets and I notice there is a marked position to open up a drain hole at the bottom. So even though they have an impressive seal it seems recommended to have a drain hole at the bottom to let out any water which may accumulate. In my experience your average electrician may not notice the proposed drain position. I must look at the pod point and see if something similar applies. Before you ask Paul I have a 17th Edition Certificate so can be considered as a competent person to fit sockets if the law were to intervene. Being as B&Q sell millions of sockets to people with no qualifications I do not anticipate being the first to be challenged over this. It may eventually get to a similar situation to gas but not yet.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Please don't take my comments as any kind of directive or criticism. We all do what we feel is safe and I am not in the business of telling others what to do. :)

However, I mention things like this just to make sure that people reading the forum, who might not be as careful or as informed as you or I, might get a better picture of the risks so they can make up their own minds.

Just because I wouldn't do something doesn't mean a jot and if you have your own standards then fine by me :) :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
There is also the image it portrays to others... it makes EV drivers look like a bunch of DIY enthusiasts if they use equipment that is not designed and built for the purpose..

Hmm.

I actually made the same thing, you gave me the idea so thanks for that:). But do you not think thats double standards? As that's a DIY and it wasn't designed for the purpose.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I don't think so. That is made for the purpose! It is an inline RCD. Nothing DIY about that IMO. I bought that as is and just changed the fitted 3-pin for a commando. We will always need adapters and converters if we are to use 3-pin, commando 16A, commando 32A etc.

Why I said that using a wall unit as a portable EVSE was giving the wrong impression is that it is obviously a wall unit! It is big, bulky and clearly not designed for portable use. It will have to be left on the ground beside or under the car. It will not have sensible cable routing as the supply lead will be coming out of the back or the bottom and it will possibly have mounting holes that are filled or sealed in some DIY way.

So not I don't think I have double standards in this respect but I do take your point... that does look a little bit DIY doesn't it :)

I think it is about the scale of it. A small converter cable with RCD is almost expected when using electricals outdoors. In fact it is the only sensible and safe way so that cable would not appear to be "cobbled together" or adapted. You can buy them off the shelf and many people will have done so. If anyone looks at a wall charging unit beside the car they may well imagine that was a requirement for owning an EV and that was what we had to carry around with us to charge and so putting them off.

It is a small point though and as I said in my previous post... we make our own choices and it is not for me to criticise. All I can say is I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
558 Posts
But the DIY was a good idea, cheap and safe so it's all good. You can buy them as you said but they aren't as good and a lot more expensive.

It doesn't matter what people think as long as it works tbh and is safe.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion.

However, I will post as I see fit and not as you want me to post and if you don't like it then can I suggest that you don't read it. The forum is a place where all kinds of views and opinions can be aired and IMO no one should dictate to others what they can and cannot say. What I post might not help you, I accept that, and you might strongly disagree with my opinions, but I will continue to post as I see fit... not as you see fit.

This forum has posters of every view, position and style. We should be able to accept that and providing posts are friendly and respectful and comply with the forum rules no one should dictate to others what they can or cannot post.

You have not insulted me at all. I don't take offence just because people disagree with my views. However, I will not be told by you or anyone else what I should and should not post (well... except the mods and Paul ;) ). I am sure that my comments may help someone even if you don't think they will and even if they don't... they are my views and I have the same rights as any other member to post them :)

Nuff said :)

·
Registered
558 Posts
You are entitled to your opinion.

However, I will post as I see fit and not as you want me to post and if you don't like it then can I suggest that you don't read it. The forum is a place where all kinds of views and opinions can be aired and IMO no one should dictate to others what they can and cannot say. What I post might not help you, I accept that, and you might strongly disagree with my opinions, but I will continue to post as I see fit... not as you see fit.

This forum has posters of every view, position and style. We should be able to accept that and providing posts are friendly and respectful and comply with the forum rules no one should dictate to others what they can or cannot post.

You have not insulted me at all. I don't take offence just because people disagree with my views. However, I will not be told by you or anyone else what I should and should not post (well... except the mods and Paul ;) ). I am sure that my comments may help someone even if you don't think they will and even if they don't... they are my views and I have the same rights as any other member to post them :)

Nuff said :)
Paul chill, no one is getting angry. He never said the things you are getting at. I agree with LutonLeaf. I'm not having a go but if your saying it's illegal please state why. You have more knowledge than we do but to say that is that illegal or something but then don't provide any reason why it leaves us in the dark.

Remember I've only had my leaf not even 2 weeks so any knowledge taken on board or not is ALWAYS kindly received by me :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts