Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought people might find this post about a 1999 Rav4 EV here in the UK interesting as a new thread rather than loosing it into the MK EV meeting.

Below are a series of photos I took in May 2010 of an EV rally I was drawn to, that finally convinced me I had to have an EV and discard the burden of petrol payments! At the time I was burning through about £5,000 a year in petrol, which implies I had to earn about £8,000 before taxes to feed the habit. This was not including any £500 road taxes or £2k service bills etc ... I had previously followed Tesla Motor blogs from 2006 onwards, so this event was a bit of an epiphany.

There's about 1,500 out in the wild, the vast majority being in California. But there are some RHD ones out there, mainly Japan. They regularly pop up for sale if you fancy importing one. (not to be confused with the more recent Tesla powered 2012 Rav4EV).

Toyota UK did test RHD Rav4 EVs in 1998-9 . . on the Island of Jersey. Perfect place to avoid range anxiety !

The one in the photos was manufactured in 1999. It has a standard 27 Kwh Nimh pack and an average 100 mile range. The top speed is limited to 80mph, but it has unfriendly aerodynamics to start with. It still has its original 15 yr old battery. These can be replaced by 3rd party manufacturers for about $10k (I think) but there are original Rav4EVs out there with 150,000 miles on their original pack and apparently still going strong.

They can be charged by a rain proof 6kw inductive coupler (anyone see the TV advert showing one being charged in a thunderstorm ??!!), but also 13amp, and 7kw.

However, what's amazing about this particular car is it has a 50kw CHAdeMO DC port on the side, yet these photos were taken in 2010 before the standard became established.

If you've watched the moving 2006 film "Who Killed The Electric Car" you'll know that GM and Texaco bought up all the Nimh patents in an attempt to kill off the EV industry before it was born. I wonder why ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_RAV4_EV

Interesting piece about how GM, Texaco and other ICE manufacturers tried to kill the EV industry 15 yrs ago :-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patent_encumbrance_of_large_automotive_NiMH_batteries

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
A '99 car with chademo?? OK fair enough I will stop referring to chademo as being 5 years out of date and give it it's full truth of 15 years out of date!

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
Fascinating though, thanks Arch!

·
Registered
518 Posts
I am not sure if its the same car but, Barrie an EV enthusiast in Wembley, N. London also has a Rav4 EV.
And like @Arch he thinks its 'brilliant', 'best car ever owned'.. 'will never sell it' etc.
He also imported a LHD Tesla Roadster 1.5 into UK .. .. the grey one recently on Pistonheads and now ebay ... a nice car, I almost bought, But obviously not as appealing as the RAV4.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks for link - a good car, almost affordable, I think c£35K would be more appropriate - but who knows.
He seems to alternate between UK and US ebay (I 1st saw it on US ebay about a year ago, even tho based in UK).

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
Seems like a good price to me! an '08 Elise would be about £20k, and nowhere near as cool.

*goes off to see what the biggest loan his bank will give him is*

Reactions: Mark Sanders

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure if its the same car but, Barrie an EV enthusiast in Wembley, N. London also has a Rav4 EV.
And like @Arch he thinks its 'brilliant', 'best car ever owned'.. 'will never sell it' etc.
He also imported a LHD Tesla Roadster 1.5 into UK .. .. the grey one recently on Pistonheads and now ebay ... a nice car, I almost bought, But obviously not as appealing as the RAV4.

It is the same Rav4 EV! The chap I know owned it up until 2011 when he sold it to 'Barrie'.

He also imported the LHD Roadster around about the same time, and as far as I can see its now fully UK compliant and recognised by Tesla UK. He did originally try selling it in late 2011, but its now for sale again for a bargain price for sure. In one of his ebay listing you can see the Rav4 and Roadster in the same shot..

From a personal point of view I'd be happy driving that in the UK. I've owned various LHD cars and after a while it just becomes 2nd nature. The two things that bugged me were when trying to overtake big things on country roads and how to grab car park entry tickets !

In the past Barrie has listed photos up online of his yard full of weird and wonderful EV's in all shapes and sizes. And by the power of Greyskull, I've managed to find it :-

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mode of transport

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Tesla roadster Sports car

·
Super Moderator
7,575 Posts
Wow, this guy loves his EV's! I'm not ashamed to say I'm jealous!

·
Militant EV driver!
4,563 Posts
Just stumbled across this old thread.

I have driven this car and indeed almost bought it. The only thing that stopped me was the guy selling it in Birmingham wanted £30k for it and I needed some options to mature before I could commit - which of course were delayed. Barrie has seen it first but was dragging his feet and so the seller was prepared to sell to me.

It annoys me to this day that I couldn't get that money together and would be back there like a shot if it ever comes back up. The car was mint, and indeed Barrie did later tell me in an eBay message that he thinks it's the best car he's ever owned.

By the way, although it is a CHAdeMO port in form factor, it apparently used RS-422 instead of CAN bus. I'm told it is possible to put an interface box in the car and use modern rapid chargers. It also used normal conductive charging at 25A instead of the inductive type used on the LHD Californian models.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Wow a RHD Rav4 from 17 years ago? I heard they were highly sought after in the US as the nimh batteries are quite long lasting. Is this the only one that exists in RHD or are there others?

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is my first post on this forum... I own couple of different RHD Toyota RAV4 EVs and I felt compelled to post...
The total produced is a mystery - I own quite a lot of documentation but was not able to find any reference to the number of RHD cars.
There are at least 4 different versions of the cars - there is the short (3 door version) with a the spare wheel on the back door, there is a short version with the spare wheel under the trunk, there is the long (5 door version) with conductive charging, and then there is the long with inductive charging. There are even small changes (in programming, etc) between cars that are seemingly same...

Here is a video that shows (earliest in existence?) RAV4 EV :

Here is a photo of it next to a model S
EVMonitor: RAV4 EV and Tesla Model S

And here is a video of converting my inductive RAV4 EV to conductive (with Type 1 inlet):

And here is another one charging "ghetto style":
EVMonitor: Ready to go soon

They are all fantastic cars!

·
Registered
870 Posts
out if interest do these age better than the regular rav4? Do ev's suffer from age related rattles to ICE's I was curious if the lack of engine vibration helps make the car feel better for longer?

I remember reading about these years ago, always wanted to see one!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have never been in a gas driven (regular) RAV4 of that generation so I can't really compare.
A friend of mine that has owned one said that the EV was much quieter and smoother. But we already knew that :)
Also - the roads here are relatively well maintained.

There is much more noise in the car if driving with 110km/h compared to the LEAF, but there is also the issue of the LEAF being about 15 years younger. :)
I am also getting better range compared to a 24kWh LEAF...
All the RAV4 EVs have heatpump, heated windshields, etc... but no heated steering wheel...
Let me know what you want to see and I can make some more photos.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts