Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday will forever be known as "Black Saturday" in relation to my 14hr, 200mile journey (the last part of which was completed on a recovery lorry.)

I left home at about 0930hrs with a full and preconditioned battery in the 2020 Jaguar iPace. In theory I could make the 200mile round trip (permitted under lockdown, BTW) without charge, but I knew this wouldn't be achievable given the majority being on motorways and with a cold, fully-laden car on the return leg. Accordingly I had checked ZapMap and five chargers I've used before were all available and working. My intention was a quick charge to get me home, where I'd charge as usual, in readiness for work on tuesday.

I've done lots of long journeys needing DC rapid charging and have never had a problem. I only needed a few hours at my destination and so I assumed I'd easily be home for an 8pm Zoom Wine-tasting event my sisters and I had booked for my parents wedding anniversary...

My first charger option was an Ecotricity unit (I know, I know) using CCS which seemed to work fine but then cut out, saying it had a fault and an engineer had been notified. Resetting made no difference.

I was unperturbed because, well, it's Ecotrishitty (as the late Sean Connery would have said), and I had plenty of Plan B, C, D options.

My next charger was also Ecotricity but I'd forgotten it had no CCS so baled-out and headed for a BP Pulse (formerly Polar, at Coldra Court Hotel) which I've used several times without bother.

Disappointingly, when I arrived it said it couldn't take contactless payments; members only using RFID card/fob.

I got the same message at the next BP Pulse (Travel Lodge).

Plan D, I headed to the shiny, "new" BP Pulse 150kW units on Malpas Rd near Newport, which ZapMap reported as working. I had several attempts on each, using contactless on both card and iWatch. The machines made all the right noises and displayed a % progress bar but then cut out without delivering charge each time.

Several attempts later I got a text message from Lloyd's bank saying my card was suspended until I responded, due to repeated pre-authorisation payments. I responded and got a message back to say I could re-attempt the payment in 10mins, which I did. Again, no charge delivered.

A helpful chap in an iPace arrived (he lived locally and also works for JLR, ironically). He tried his BP/Polar RFID fob for me but that didn't work either. The BP garage staff said they'd log a problem for me and the machines would be reset. I gave up after 30min of no reset. Afterall, there were several more options ahead on my route, one of which was trusty Instavolt.

Next stop was another Ecotricity (again, one I've used, and which was reportedly OK in ZapMap).

I was fully expecting it to fail, and indeed multiple attempts confirmed this expectation. I wasn't expecting the car to give a flashing red warning on the dash, as pictured, after the fifth or sixth attempt to charge (on each occasion, the process seemed to be working until a "session finished by vehicle/operator" message appeared, and no charge delivered.)

The car being dead, I called Jaguar assistance, who dispatched AA unit to my location; he called me to say he was en route.

While waiting, the car ceased to give the error message and appeared to be fine. I was 18%, 36mile range. Home was 55 miles and, as expected, the guessometer range:actual-miles-covered ratio had been much worse on the un-preconditioned, fully-laden return leg, so no chance of getting back without a successful charge.

The car was driving fine in the car park so I called the AA man back and asked if he could meet me at the Instavolt unit. He was happy to do this.

At the Instavolt charger, all seemed well, as with Ecotrishitty, until charging cut out having delivered no charge. We tried both units.

I noticed the car was didplaying "Timed charging" on the dash, so I cancelled this option in the in-car menu and in the app, but the problem persisted (no charge and "timed charging" on dash.)

The AA man admitted he didn't really know what to do and was happy to check the TCU battery, which was fine, and connecting a booster battery didn't change the MyPace app displayed voltage significantly, nor solve the problem.)

The AA diagnostics unit did reveal a temporary error in the log, but no current issue. He reset the fault log (?) with a view to retrying a charge but now the chargers were declining my card. I tried a different card which was reported as "incompatible".

I hadn't received a text from my bank saying that the card was blocked due to suspicious, multiple transactions, so I rang them. 30mins in a queue while the AA man rang Instavolt as the sign by the chargers said you could pay by phone (the American help centre said you can't, sorry, and the machines report no fault at their end.)

We hadn't managed to try charging after the reset of the car's error log, as my payment method was no longer being accepted by the charger.

The AA van man had kindly over stayed his shift and called-in for a recovery lorry. I received a call from the AA lorry driver to say he was en route.

While waiting, I finally got through to my bank. They said the card wasn't blocked but that the contactless option may have been disabled due to the multiple attempts to use it. They suggested going to any venue where I could use a cash machine or any card reader where PIN could be used with card.

I phoned the AA lorry driver, Martin, who agreed it might be worth trying a charge now that the error log was reset, and that he would meet me in a nearby Morrisons car park, where I could use a cash machine with PIN, then try a contact-less purchase at the service station.

This we did. However the car still wouldn't charge when we returned to Instavolt, despite payment approval.

So, car was loaded onto lorry and I was delivered home, having missed the Anniversary celebration by nearly 3hrs.

Interestingly, the car is charging off my Podpoint:

I presume therefore, that there is a problem with high-speed charging in the car, which I will take up with Jaguar.

Learning points for me:

-Ecotricity may be crap (first charger?) but it's not always them
-If there is a problem with one charger brand/supplier, the same problem may thwart you at other locations using the same brand (BP Pulse, on this occasion)
-Multiple failed attempts at using contact-less may lead to your card being blocked
-Multiple failed attempts at using contact-less may lead to your card having contactless payments deactivated, despite card remain usable in Chip-and-PIN units
-Instavolt signage says you can pay over the phone but the American support line (via UK number on sign) says you can't.
-JLR reputation for unreliability may be deserved.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Not a good day...sorry to hear it and thanks for sharing your experience. I've found Instavolt very reliable, however if the problem was with the payment method (understandably after all the failed attempts) or the car then not much they could do...although unhelpful to state that payment by phone is possible if it isn't. There is a new Instavolt app which might be worth setting up as a backup (...and a referral system of course for a £5 charge credit 😉, my code m87p6).

Sadly with regards to the car, my experience with a 1,000 mile test drive of the iPace was that it's a brilliant car with very flaky implementation of the CCS protocol. Really easy for it to get tied in knots and fail to communicate properly. It always recovered for me after a reset, but I did get traction fault / HV faults a few times in the brief period I had the car. Hope it is quickly sorted, it's a good car apart from that and great fun to drive!

Reactions: EV i fi

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,536 Posts
F**k...

Hope you get it sorted!

And that is one cautionary tale that destroys all the fun of EV driving...

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Disappointingly, when I arrived it said it couldn't take contactless payments; members only using RFID card/fob.
Just out of interest did you try contacting BP Pulse? I've had issues with some rapid chargers in areas where connection is not good, and have always had a great service from the customer service side, initiating charges for me usually at no cost.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
For anyone else in this situation, if you have a willing friend you can probably add their contactless card to your phone temporarily to try charging.

Reactions: EV i fi

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
You can get an RFID from instavolt as well if you download and register on their app. I hate apps but they can be useful in situations like this. I have a fistful of RFID cards and would shamelessly try every single one on any machine that wasn't working. I also have a pingit contactless card which is contactless only so something like that is also worth having so it doesn't bugger your main bank account.

I'd also try charging on AC at a rapid instead of finding another rapid if it fails a second time. It also gives time to think and plan. It may also reset whatever is keeping track of failed charges and also make sure the 12v is properly topped up.

I think banks need to review their policies on repeated contactless transactions with charge point operators.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
In the Instavolt app thread, lots of people ask why on earth they would want their RFID card and app when they have a perfectly good contact less card.

This tale shows why. Contact less is best and Instavolt are the best charging network but failed charging can and does happen and multiple failed attempts appear to leave the risk of blocking the card. It acts as a backup.

Hope I never have a sorry tale of woe like the OPs day above. Would right put me off.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,940 Posts
It also gives time to think and plan.
Well said. (y) (y) (y) :love: Panic usually sets in quite quickly when a charge fails. 'My Goodness, how are we going to get home now'! tends to fog your thinking.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,684 Posts
You can get an RFID from instavolt
You are better off getting a RFID Card from Chargepoint instead. It's also free, and works at Instavolt, but also with Chargepoint (as a few of them are starting to pop up in the UK as it's own brand now) and even gives a slight discount with the likes of Ionity as an added bonus.

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,593 Posts
Yesterday will forever be known as "Black Saturday" in relation to my 14hr, 200mile journey (the last part of which was completed on a recovery lorry.)

I left home at about 0930hrs with a full and preconditioned battery in the 2020 Jaguar iPace. In theory I could make the 200mile round trip (permitted under lockdown, BTW) without charge, but I knew this wouldn't be achievable given the majority being on motorways and with a cold, fully-laden car on the return leg. Accordingly I had checked ZapMap and five chargers I've used before were all available and working. My intention was a quick charge to get me home, where I'd charge as usual, in readiness for work on tuesday.

I've done lots of long journeys needing DC rapid charging and have never had a problem. I only needed a few hours at my destination and so I assumed I'd easily be home for an 8pm Zoom Wine-tasting event my sisters and I had booked for my parents wedding anniversary...

My first charger option was an Ecotricity unit (I know, I know) using CCS which seemed to work fine but then cut out, saying it had a fault and an engineer had been notified. Resetting made no difference.

I was unperturbed because, well, it's Ecotrishitty (as the late Sean Connery would have said), and I had plenty of Plan B, C, D options.

My next charger was also Ecotricity but I'd forgotten it had no CCS so baled-out and headed for a BP Pulse (formerly Polar, at Coldra Court Hotel) which I've used several times without bother.

I got the same message at the next BP Pulse (Travel Lodge).

Plan D, I headed to the shiny, "new" BP Pulse 150kW units on Malpas Rd near Newport, which ZapMap reported as working. I had several attempts on each, using contactless on both card and iWatch. The machines made all the right noises and displayed a % progress bar but then cut out without delivering charge each time.

Several attempts later I got a text message from Lloyd's bank saying my card was suspended until I responded, due to repeated pre-authorisation payments. I responded and got a message back to say I could re-attempt the payment in 10mins, which I did. Again, no charge delivered.

A helpful chap in an iPace arrived (he lived locally and also works for JLR, ironically). He tried his BP/Polar RFID fob for me but that didn't work either. The BP garage staff said they'd log a problem for me and the machines would be reset. I gave up after 30min of no reset. Afterall, there were several more options ahead on my route, one of which was trusty Instavolt.

Next stop was another Ecotricity (again, one I've used, and which was reportedly OK in ZapMap).

I was fully expecting it to fail, and indeed multiple attempts confirmed this expectation. I wasn't expecting the car to give a flashing red warning on the dash, as pictured, after the fifth or sixth attempt to charge (on each occasion, the process seemed to be working until a "session finished by vehicle/operator" message appeared, and no charge delivered.)

The car being dead, I called Jaguar assistance, who dispatched AA unit to my location; he called me to say he was en route.

While waiting, the car ceased to give the error message and appeared to be fine. I was 18%, 36mile range. Home was 55 miles and, as expected, the guessometer range:actual-miles-covered ratio had been much worse on the un-preconditioned, fully-laden return leg, so no chance of getting back without a successful charge.

The car was driving fine in the car park so I called the AA man back and asked if he could meet me at the Instavolt unit. He was happy to do this.

At the Instavolt charger, all seemed well, as with Ecotrishitty, until charging cut out having delivered no charge. We tried both units.

I noticed the car was didplaying "Timed charging" on the dash, so I cancelled this option in the in-car menu and in the app, but the problem persisted (no charge and "timed charging" on dash.)

The AA man admitted he didn't really know what to do and was happy to check the TCU battery, which was fine, and connecting a booster battery didn't change the MyPace app displayed voltage significantly, nor solve the problem.)

The AA diagnostics unit did reveal a temporary error in the log, but no current issue. He reset the fault log (?) with a view to retrying a charge but now the chargers were declining my card. I tried a different card which was reported as "incompatible".

I hadn't received a text from my bank saying that the card was blocked due to suspicious, multiple transactions, so I rang them. 30mins in a queue while the AA man rang Instavolt as the sign by the chargers said you could pay by phone (the American help centre said you can't, sorry, and the machines report no fault at their end.)

We hadn't managed to try charging after the reset of the car's error log, as my payment method was no longer being accepted by the charger.

The AA van man had kindly over stayed his shift and called-in for a recovery lorry. I received a call from the AA lorry driver to say he was en route.

While waiting, I finally got through to my bank. They said the card wasn't blocked but that the contactless option may have been disabled due to the multiple attempts to use it. They suggested going to any venue where I could use a cash machine or any card reader where PIN could be used with card.

I phoned the AA lorry driver, Martin, who agreed it might be worth trying a charge now that the error log was reset, and that he would meet me in a nearby Morrisons car park, where I could use a cash machine with PIN, then try a contact-less purchase at the service station.

This we did. However the car still wouldn't charge when we returned to Instavolt, despite payment approval.

So, car was loaded onto lorry and I was delivered home, having missed the Anniversary celebration by nearly 3hrs.

Interestingly, the car is charging off my Podpoint:

I presume therefore, that there is a problem with high-speed charging in the car, which I will take up with Jaguar.

Learning points for me:

-Ecotricity may be crap (first charger?) but it's not always them
-If there is a problem with one charger brand/supplier, the same problem may thwart you at other locations using the same brand (BP Pulse, on this occasion)
-Multiple failed attempts at using contact-less may lead to your card being blocked
-Multiple failed attempts at using contact-less may lead to your card having contactless payments deactivated, despite card remain usable in Chip-and-PIN units
-Instavolt signage says you can pay over the phone but the American support line (via UK number on sign) says you can't.
What a nightmare of a day that was.

I swear a DBT unit damaged my DC charger in my BMW i3 but could not prove it but it was fixed under warranty at the time thankfully. I now plan never to use those units again which is still difficult right now given where they are.

Just interested to know if you tried the contactless card on the RFID area of the BP 50kW Ultras? Read somewhere that has worked but not tried myself?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
You are better off getting a RFID Card from Chargepoint instead. It's also free, and works at Instavolt, but also with Chargepoint (as a few of them are starting to pop up in the UK as it's own brand now) and even gives a slight discount with the likes of Ionity as an added bonus.
I already have (y) As well as New Motion that can be used on many networks. At some point I may set up ZapPay so there's yet another way to pay... if they do an RFID card I'll add that to the collection too :)

The networks just aren't mature enough for me to rely on any one payment method.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,987 Posts
I had a similar experience with an eTron last week.

However one of four Ionity pumps were working, which saved me.

I agree the current infrastructure leaves a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
195 Posts
As it is possible to get the RFID cards either free or for a very small subscription I think it is best to have at least one if not three or four in your wallet. (I have three)

·
Registered
552 Posts
As it is possible to get the RFID cards either free or for a very small subscription I think it is best to have at least one if not three or four in your wallet. (I have three)
I just leave my collection of RFID cards in my car. :)

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,913 Posts
I can't see that happening.
It's the chargepoint operators that need to sort their sh*t out, not other people having to provide them with get-out-of-jail cards.
Which means retrofitting all chargers with contactles with a keypad to get that PIN... Ideal for card skimmers to get full card details from. Even better than using a ATM as a host as there won't be CCTV and users will be focussed on getting a charge not security. Many are used to looking out for weird stick on things on ATMS not the weird stuck on card readers that are already stuck on many charge points.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
545 Posts
I have a separate wallet for all mine in the car :)

Of course, with covid, I have never once had cause to use any of them!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
The sad reality is there are still two iron clad rules for EV ownership:
  • Never attempt a return trip that exceeds the range of the car
  • If you do want to do this, buy a Tesla instead for the Supercharger network (and seeing that you have an iPace, I’m guessing a Model 3LR or Model S are within your means 😉)

Reactions: onlineo

·
Registered
552 Posts
A thought came to mind but before sharing it I thank you for sharing your experience and learnings. Relevant for us all. And commiserations for your inconvenience too, especially missing the anniversary celebrations.

Yes, the infrastructure can be debilitating, frustrating and downright disappointing. To put it politely! But as far as the car is concerned it reminded me of situations I saw when I was a young driver. Different here in that you have a newish car that is in good order. Well, apart from the fault.

I recall it being quite common for cars to experience overheating faults. Leaky radiator, hoses, broken fan belts or an incorrect mixture of antifreeze. Not uncommon on warm days to see drivers limping from one service area (or filling station etc) to another, topping up the radiator as they went, hoping to limp home before arranging a subsequent fix. Perhaps we EVers are the modern equivalent sometimes?

PS: Not intended to be rude to the OP or detract from the valid points made by him.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,685 Posts
Surely, this thread is more about a faulty car than the Rapid charging infrastructure?

Not saying the latter couldn’t be better, but the car was flat bedded because it wouldn’t charge, not because none of the chargers worked.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts