Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to post a big thank you to Gridserve for the commitment they are showing in terms of delivering a charging network that really will make all our EV lives easier over the coming years. Also, words are being backed up by action which is great to see. Rollout is happening at quite a pace and customer service appears to be good so far. Well done Gridserve!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wanted this thread to be easily visible to anyone from Gridserve who read these boards to show appreciation. For me it's a gamechanger in terms of using EV's on long journeys. Took my EV to Devon over the weekend and although it worked out OK I almost took the ICE. In 12 months time I'm sure the decision will always be EV.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I am a big fan. +1 for me. Gridserve have done more in six weeks than ecotricity did in many years. Fantastic.
It is great what Gridserve are achieving. But please don't forget that Ecotricity were really the trail blazers in getting some sort of charging in virtually every service station. If Ecotricity had not achieved what they did I don't think the charging structure would have developed so well. Despite criticism, and I know the chargers have not been maintained as well as we would have liked, Ecotricity did provide free charging for about 5 years. I have never failed to get a charge with Ecotricity - but then I did have a Leaf with a chademo socket.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
It is great what Gridserve are achieving. But please don't forget that Ecotricity were really the trail blazers in getting some sort of charging in virtually every service station...
I was going to say the same. What they did was a scaled down version of what Tesla did: put chargers on motorways to make it possible to drive a LEAF (just about the only EV around when they started) pretty much anywhere in the country.
It's been a mixed blessing because they obviously didn't have the resources to maintain and expand, while there seemed to be some sort of monopoly deal that kept the other charger providers from competing in those prime locations.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Lets not get carried away here. Nissan and the EU provided the chargers. Ecotricity never spent a bean on chargers, and then dithered and delayed and prevented others installing at MSA's.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah well, the past is the past. Gridserve are our future and what matters from here on in, I think we all owe Ecotricity and Dale a thanks for kicking things off as well but lets be honest Ecotricity hardly covered themselves in glory over the last few years. Lets keep this thread positive and about gridserve and the future if possible.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,975 Posts
They really have done well. With the EH takeover, the worst charging network is well on its way to becoming the best!
Not for the hundreds of thousands of people with CHAdeMo and Type 2 cars for whom it's now almost impossible to use. Could EASILY have provided more than one socket for us.

The cars are still there and still working just as well. It would have cost nothing to provide a little redundancy.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,110 Posts
It's a pity they are decimating the chademo connectors. Long journeys are now much worse for me with each Gridserve upgrade.
Not for the hundreds of thousands of people with CHAdeMo and Type 2 cars for whom it's now almost impossible to use. Could EASILY have provided more than one socket for us.

The cars are still there and still working just as well. It would have cost nothing to provide a little redundancy.
Try these statements from Gridserve:-
(TL;DR = They installed what they could get hold of at the time. More CHAdeMo & AC sockets, and charging 2 cars at once are on their way)

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a pity they are decimating the chademo connectors. Long journeys are now much worse for me with each Gridserve upgrade.
I drive a Leaf so do get where you are coming from, however this is a case of short term pain for long term gain for Chademo users. We have to accept CCS has a much larger market share now and will be the standard going forward so it's what has to be done. It's vital they get the twin heads working properly though as I don't like the idea of being blocked by a CCS user when they have another charger available. It's the charging hubs that will make the real difference.

·
2,975 Posts
I drive a Leaf so do get where you are coming from, however this is a case of short term pain for long term gain for Chademo users. We have to accept CCS has a much larger market share now and will be the standard going forward so it's what has to be done. It's vital they get the twin heads working properly though as I don't like the idea of being blocked by a CCS user when they have another charger available. It's the charging hubs that will make the real difference.
It doesn't have to be done - there can still be a majority of CCS connectors, and I see no reason why the chargers couldn't be reconfigured later down the line. But only one at each site is ridiculous - and exactly the same problem CCS users used to have, just burdened onto a different group of people.

Yes, they do desperately need to sort out the fact that they promised every unit would share power between two cars when it actually doesn't do anything of the sort. So far every single time I've pulled up to a Gridserve Electric Highway site, the only CCS car charging has been using the only CHAdeMo charger and there's nothing I can do but wait. At least if it shared the power, I could start charging at a slower speed and CCS users would eventually learn.....

They also need to sort out the somewhat silly situation where there's no check at all to make sure that the person pressing stop is the person who's charge it is.

Sometimes, it is a bit better to just wait a little while and sort out the problems before going in gung ho....

·
2,975 Posts
Ignore this. Why can't I delete my own posts anymore?

·
2,975 Posts
Try these statements from Gridserve:-
(TL;DR = They installed what they could get hold of at the time. More CHAdeMo & AC sockets, and charging 2 cars at once are on their way)

Have they considered that they might be getting 75% CCS requests because people with CHAdeMo cars can't use their service very easily? This is typical of companies that fail to look at the complete picture and just rely on badly collected data.

Nice to see that they are doing something about it :) although I maintain this was quite predictable...

To their point about adaptors...I'd happily buy a reasonably priced CCS > CHAdeMo adaptor to keep my car on the road for longer. At least until the price of newer EVs isn't utterly ridiculous!

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
581 Posts
Somewhere I've seen a post from Toddington himself agreeing that they may have overdone cutting down on Chademo connectors and they would do something to restore balance. I think the context was Cobham where 2 Chademo + 1 dual has been replaced by 2 dual CCS and 1 Chad+CCS (I may be wrong about the exact numbers.) Replacing a dual CCS with another Chad+CSS would help.
I noticed that the new Rugby hub has all the Chademo capable chargers at one end of the line, and the CCS only at the other end. As demand patterns change, they will be able to replace a charger in the middle to move the dividing line left or right.
In the long term, though, there will be fewer Chademo users. It's one reason why I'm trading my 40kWh LEAF for a Kia e-Niro, and it's looking like a well-timed move!

·
Registered
260 Posts
CCS vs Chademo

I think the numbers speak for themselves...

As of 2019, the UK had around 90k battery EVs, where around 30k were Leafs (the bulk of the Chademo BEV cars, though not all), and maybe 40k were CCS.

In 2020, 100k BEV cars were added to this - more than all previous years combined. 10k were Leafs, suggesting Chademo demand being 33% higher. The majority of the rest were CCS, suggesting CCS demand being 300% of what it was (200% higher).

These are the numbers that show there are now 3x as many CCS as Chademo cars. That sessions should be a similar pattern would not be surprising.

2021 is going to be higher than 2020, so it wouldn't be a surprise for CCS to now be 4x Chademo, and 5x by the end of the year.

Of course, the picture is complicated by Teslas with/without CCS, and PHEVs with Chademo.

But the broad direction of change is undeniable.

Edit: Fix the percentage maths.

·
2,975 Posts
CCS vs Chademo

I think the numbers speak for themselves...

As of 2019, the UK had around 90k battery EVs, where around 30k were Leafs (the bulk of the Chademo BEV cars, though not all), and maybe 40k were CCS.

In 2020, 100k BEV cars were added to this - more than all previous years combined. 10k were Leafs, suggesting Chademo demand being 33% higher. The majority of the rest were CCS, suggesting CCS demand being 300% higher.

These are the numbers that show there are now 3x as many CCS as Chademo cars. That sessions should be a similar pattern would not be surprising.

2021 is going to be higher than 2020, so it wouldn't be a surprise for CCS to now be 4x Chademo, and 5x by the end of the year.

Of course, the picture is complicated by Teslas with/without CCS, and PHEVs with Chademo.

But the broad direction of change is undeniable.
Nobody disagrees on the direction things are going - but those CHAdeMo cars still exist and those drivers still need to charge them.

What's stupid is that only providing one connector is absurd - something that has been proven already by Electric Highway themselves. At multi charger sites, there is no excuse for not providing two connectors.

Reactions: rossnruss
1 - 20 of 25 Posts