• Total voters
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Occasionally Sensible
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had an email from Tesla:
A CCS Charging Upgrade is available for your Model S.​

With the upgrade, you’ll be able to access our latest generation V3 Supercharging technology—with smoother power delivery and no need to power-share with the car next to you. In addition to our Supercharging network, your Model S will also be compatible with public charging locations across Europe.​

A CCS Charging Upgrade includes retrofitting your charge port and the purchase of a CCS Combo 2 Adapter—with a total cost of £425. To get the upgrade, schedule a service appointment in your Tesla app.​

On the Q&A it has:
What is the peak charge rate I can receive with a CCS Combo 2 adapter?
All Model S and Model X owners can currently receive peak charge rates up to 142kW, roughly on par with the fastest charge rates supported by V2 Supercharging (150kW). We will continue to validate this technology as part of the V3 Supercharger rollout and will provide additional information regarding peak charge rates as it is available.

I've never seen more than 119kW for my 2016 75D so (apart from not having to share), I'm not sure I'd get any quicker.
I'm keen to hear views as it has its first service on Monday (@ 47,000 miles).

·
Registered
15,403 Posts
It will allow you to access all CCS chargers of course, not just Superchargers.

What this is worth to you is entirely up to you and your circumstances. A bit like buying a Chademo adaptor.

·
Registered
55 Posts
My 75d appears to have had its charging speed reduced to around 80kw so it may be beneficial to me if my charging speed returns to normal. That would be worth the price.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,676 Posts
My 75d appears to have had its charging speed reduced to around 80kw so it may be beneficial to me if my charging speed returns to normal. That would be worth the price.
Isn’t the charging speed limited if you’ve done a lot of supercharging in the past. Tesla do it to protect the battery. Not sure if this adaptation would reverse that.

·
Premium Member
10,909 Posts
I've never seen more than 119kW for my 2016 75D so (apart from not having to share), I'm not sure I'd get any quicker.
It won't charge any faster but it would allow you to charge on non-Tesla CCS rapids and ultra-rapids. It depends on how useful that is to you? Personally I would find it useful as (outside of lockdown) I travel to North Wales where there are no Superchargers. IMO it is more "future proof " and better value than a CHAdeMO adaptor plus it will probably make the car easier to sell.

·
evezy referral code d6540
2,676 Posts
It won't charge any faster but it would allow you to charge on non-Tesla CCS rapids and ultra-rapids. It depends on how useful that is to you? Personally I would find it useful as (outside of lockdown) I travel to North Wales where there are no Superchargers. IMO it is more "future proof " and better value than a CHAdeMO adaptor plus it will probably make the car easier to sell.
I did the North Coast 500 in a Model S and it would have been a lot easier if I could have charged at 50kW with CCS. AC at 18kW was painfully slow after/before the last/first supercharger at Aviemore.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I keep thinking about it, but I have a Chademo and so (with a few exceptions) CCS has no real benefit speed-wise. I'll probably get it done when the likes of InstaVolt roll out more >50kw units.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
Likewise I have a Chademo and thought about it a few times, but it really is diminishing returns, if you don't already have a Chademo adapter then it probably is a no brainer if you would like the convenience of other rapid options.

For those of us who have one the number of sites where there is no Chademo and CCS >50kW are probably counted without running out of fingers...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts