Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Kona64
2,065 Posts
So do they have loads of gridserve type 10+ stall locations ?

Just wondering how they will not suffer heavy queuing at the rapids

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,662 Posts
This is more impressive:

"Investment returns have been stellar, and Norway now sits on an oil fund worth almost $1.3 trillion.

For a country with only 5.3 million people, this is a stupendous amount of money. Think about it this way: total US Federal tax revenues amount to 16% of GDP. For Norway, a below-average year with a 5% return on the fund’s investments will yield that same 16% of GDP in passive income! On top of that comes ongoing oil and gas rents of about 7% of GDP."

This not so much.

Norway – a major oil and gas exporter – needs to sell over 100 barrels of oil (which emits 40 tonnes of CO2) to pay for the tax breaks it gives EVs to avoid one tonne of CO2.

Norway an EV role model? Their pathway is expensive and paid for with oil & gas exports - Energy Post

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,237 Posts
Possibly wouldn't be possible without being the world's 2nd largest exporter of pipeline gas, and top 10 oil.
It's still enterprising and far-sighted of them. They could have frittered away the oil and gas by burning it themselves and have nothing to show for it. Instead they will have a whole transport infrastructure running on hydroelectric power, which they will always have. I bet they have insulated their houses properly too!
Britain had north sea gas but has had no long term benefit from it, and has driven itself into a corner where we can't afford to build efficient houses and can't afford the fuel to heat them either.

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
2,662 Posts
It's still enterprising and far-sighted of them. They could have frittered away the oil and gas by burning it themselves and have nothing to show for it. Instead they will have a whole transport infrastructure running on hydroelectric power, which they will always have. I bet they have insulated their houses properly too!
Britain had north sea gas but has had no long term benefit from it, and has driven itself into a corner where we can't afford to build efficient houses and can't afford the fuel to heat them either.
Absolutely. Can't fault them. Also all of that hydro electricity :love:

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frittered .... like we did yes. Norway's sovereign wealth fund and approach to funding is first class.

Whilst we (as a nation) went spend, spend, spend, they looked to the future rather well it seems.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't know so much but I believe they removed VAT (or massively reduced it) for folks buying into the EV way forward.

Imagine our progressive government (ahem) being so brave.

You can't see that? No me neither.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Sorry not sure on that. Other more experienced folks will have the answer here shortly I'm sure.

But I did see this as well in a linked article. It's a battery swap system. Probably known to many on the site but I found it an interesting take .....

One thing for sure, our Norwegian friends are treating this stuff very seriously.

·
Registered
Tesla Model Y, 2022
1,099 Posts

Yes, by law something like every 20 miles. Bjorn Nyland videos usually have this info. But note that faulty chargers and queuing are also common since it is part of the experience.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
Been to Norway recently to meet (finally face to face) one of our company suppliers.
The supplier HQ is close to one of the junctions of E-18 motorway near Larvik where nearby is Cricle-K petrol station and Burger King so not really even proper service area. But they had 12 Ionity 350kW chargers, 20 Tesla Superchargers and I think 2 x 50kW chargers of some other operator.

There seem to be a lot of EVs seen on the roads and close to Oslo this seem to be like 50/50. A lot of Chinese EVs you can't see here like BYD or Xpeng and imagine that Oslo airport has not German but Chinese luxury EV Hongqi HS-9 on display...

Reactions: Tooks and Mkultra

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Been to Norway recently to meet (finally face to face) one of our company suppliers.
The supplier HQ is close to one of the junctions of E-18 motorway near Larvik where nearby is Cricle-K petrol station and Burger King so not really even proper service area. But they had 12 Ionity 350kW chargers, 20 Tesla Superchargers and I think 2 x 50kW chargers of some other operator.

There seem to be a lot of EVs seen on the roads and close to Oslo this seem to be like 50/50. A lot of Chinese EVs you can't see here like BYD or Xpeng and imagine that Oslo airport has not German but Chinese luxury EV Hongqi HS-9 on display...

Very interesting data and photos. These guys really are light years ahead and treating it seriously.

And you right, I don't recall ever seeing a Chinese car on display at an airport. Even in China! :)

·
Registered
VW ID.3 58kWh
202 Posts
These guys really are light years ahead and treating it seriously.
I guess a bit easier for them to EVangelise ;) the whole population that is some 12 times less than ours.

• Haha
Reactions: Mkultra

·
Registered
EV6 GT Line and e208 GT
645 Posts
I guess a bit easier for them to EVangelise ;) the whole population that is some 12 times less than ours.
Yep, they started LONG before we did, spent more money on infrastructure and had a joined up plan to go electric for a very, very long time - some of their EV incentives date back to 2001 or earlier. Norwegian success is really down to policy not size. If consecutive governments here had spent less on Trident or Test and Trace and more on EV incentives and infrastructure might be further ahead as well.

I also spend a fair bit of time in Norway (wifey is Norwegian) but not for the past two years lol. Last road trip I did there in 2019 I was surprised to find a tiny supermarket in the middle of nowhere with masses of Tesla Superchargers and but one car using them. EV penetration in Oslo and Bergen has to be seen to be believed with every other car being electric in the rush hour. Two years ago I was surprised at how few EV's there were on longer distance trips but I suspect that has now altered. I suppose the lesson is that even with extremely high sales of EVs there are still masses of petrol cars on the roads so it takes a long time for them to be phased out.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yep, they started LONG before we did, spent more money on infrastructure and had a joined up plan to go electric for a very, very long time - some of their EV incentives date back to 2001 or earlier. Norwegian success is really down to policy not size. If consecutive governments here had spent less on Trident or Test and Trace and more on EV incentives and infrastructure might be further ahead as well.

I also spend a fair bit of time in Norway (wifey is Norwegian) but not for the past two years lol. Last road trip I did there in 2019 I was surprised to find a tiny supermarket in the middle of nowhere with masses of Tesla Superchargers and but one car using them. EV penetration in Oslo and Bergen has to be seen to be believed with every other car being electric in the rush hour. Two years ago I was surprised at how few EV's there were on longer distance trips but I suspect that has now altered. I suppose the lesson is that even with extremely high sales of EVs there are still masses of petrol cars on the roads so it takes a long time for them to be phased out.
I think we will be surprised Smitten .... re the number of petrol cars on road in Norway.

I run two very old units ... both 94's and both were high volume models that sold by the truck load.

It's interesting that in the last year, the fall off in numbers of these on the road has dropped off the cliff. I think once a model gets to a certain point, they do just literally disappear. I don't know what the average age of an ICE on the road is but for sure it's not 1994. But I think the vacuum effect will hit hard there.

Here? Well the numbers are encouraging EV take up wise and the world conditions around us only serve to nudge us further away from oil based transport and services. We don't have the political will, policy and money that the Norwegians have.

·
Premium Member
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
There are also some things which count against them. It's a relatively big country and its often cold, so from a range perspective it's far from ideal.
Is a point I'd not considered. Interesting.

One thing they don't seem to lack though is commitment. If all countries has this level of commitment then we would be in a very interesting place

And I do wonder in light of current tensions in the east if this might ply on the minds of those in the Scandi area. I think it would me. Small percentages but small percentages are what just might make a difference in the buying cycle.

Interesting to see when those same stats are published in April 2023.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts