Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why o why do you have to switch on the ignition to view your charging status when charging?
Would like a flappy paddle to switch from D to B to D instead of having to take my hand off the wheel.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Most people pick B or D and simply stick with it for the duration of the drive. If you leave it in B remember you can still avoid the regen where it's not wanted by simply not fully lifting off the accelerator pedal and keeping the power meter as close to zero as possible. Paddles have uses in the likes of Hyundai cars where you have customizable levels of regen and can pull them on demand to slow to a stop, but it serves no real purpose in a LEAF where B mode is more of a set and forget kind of thing, rather something that the average driver would dynamically toggle on and off during a drive - Try leaving it in one gear in future and see how you get along with it.

There's no real need to see your charge status. If you're on a rapid charger then the charger itself will tell you. If you're AC Charging you likely wouldn't be sitting around inside the car anyways so could quickly glance at the dash lights or monitor it via the app.

These are both things I am sure you will quickly get used to. They probably won't be as big of an issue as you first think.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
17 Posts
If this is a griping thread, I'll add my two penn'orth, after stating that I am a fan of my 40kWh Leaf. But............

I agree that the 'ignition' on and off thing is a pain. Maybe I should read the manual more thoroughly but, as I understand it from practical use, there are four conditions for the 'ignition':
  1. Everything off
  2. Auxiliaries only (first push of the Power button without having your foot on the brake). Starts the Infotainment so that you can sit in your drive and programme the SatNav and listen to the radio.
  3. Power up everything except the transmission (second push of the Power button with no foot on brake). Starts climate control and the full dashboard letting you see the battery status etc.
  4. Fire up the engines (push the Power button again with your foot on the brake).
What I cannot figure out is how to go from 4 to 3 or 2 without going through 1 first. When I get home, and want to unload the car, I would like to leave the radio on while I am emptying the boot. But that requires going to 1 first then rebooting the whole machine again. Am I being dumb? Is there a simple way to 'stop the engine' but leave the auxiliaries running while your passenger pops into the shops, without rebooting the whole car?

And, to support the OP's point about viewing charging status from inside the car when doing a rapid charge......
I agree it is a pain to have to go to "3" above to view the charging status. I made the newbie error on my first couple of rapid charges after I acquired my Leaf of going to "3" to view the battery temperature and state of charge before plugging in the Chademo connector, and then ranting when the charger failed to connect. Of course, I now know that you have to be in "1" to get the Chademo to talk to the car and start the charge. After that, you can boot up the systems to "3" to view the progress. I disagree with 80698 that you can just view the state of charge on the charger itself. On a cold windy day, I don't want to keep going to the charger to check; I'd rather stay in the car listening to the radio. And I am a bit obsessive, watching the GOM tick up mile by mile, working out how much above the 'distance to go' on the SatNav I need to charge to reach my destination safely.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Is there a simple way to 'stop the engine' but leave the auxiliaries running while your passenger pops into the shops, without rebooting the whole car?
Nope. And if I remember correctly, anything except for fully on and ready to drive will only draw power from the 12v battery, so I wouldn't really advise doing it much anyways.

·
Registered
130 Posts
my major complain is that I can not release the charging cable without using the key.
The whole point of having keyless entry is that you put your key in your pocket/purse/back and you don't have to check for it again.
Having to press the actuall key fob button to release the power plug misses the point!

·
Super Moderator
7,576 Posts
my major complain is that I can not release the charging cable without using the key.
The whole point of having keyless entry is that you put your key in your pocket/purse/back and you don't have to check for it again.
Having to press the actuall key fob button to release the power plug misses the point!
A backwards step from the first generation car, the type 1 connector itself has a button to release, doesn’t matter if the car is locked or not.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sorry but I don't get the leave it in B or D for the duration of a journey
I often drive journeys which is a mix of motorway and A or B roads and use D on the motorway and a mix of D and B on the A and B roads. Using B mostly for slowing for corners without having to break, which I find works really well, and equally an A road with a long straight, into D and then B to slow the car. Which works really well in fact it's something I really like about the car.
would just really like to have the charging status displayed without having the system on.
Most of the rapid chargers I use have screens that are at best just visible on even a moderately bright day.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
17 Posts
Using B mostly for slowing for corners without having to brake....
Why don't you just use the e-Pedal? With the e-Pedal it makes no difference whether you are in D or B, and you can control the car entirely with your right foot, giving as much or as little regen as you want. I am a huge fan of the e-Pedal and only ever turn it off for slow speed manouvering, such as when reversing into my garage, when it's easier just to hold the car on the brake pedal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Why don't use just use the e-Pedal? With the e-Pedal it makes no difference whether you are in D or B, and you can control the car entirely with your right foot, giving as much or as little regen as you want. I am a huge fan of the e-Pedal and only ever turn it off for slow speed manouvering, such as when reversing into my garage, when it's easier just to hold the car on the brake pedal.
I mainly use e-pedal in town as I find the throttle response poor in that mode.
On an A road at legal speed flicking the car into B mode at the right moment to slow for a corner not touching the brake and judging it right is very pleasing.:)

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
You can press the charging door unlock button. I never use the fob.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
I agree with the above, but they are trivial points given what other EV owners have to contend with (eg timed charging not working, locking the car with the key in it, etc etc)

I don't get having to use the fob to release the cable - just press the button on the dash, disconnect the cable and then lock the car.

I do like and use E-pedal most of the time, even on motorways because it isn't too hard to feather the throttle so there is no braking. I do also use Eco mode much of the time and really only turn it off when I anticipate overtaking or pulling out into traffic.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
Can you unplug the cable with that??
Of course, I do it all the time, just this morning after my overnight 4hr charge.
The door was unlocked remotely from the kitchen with the fob and then I walked across, opened the door, pressed the button, the socket lock clicked and i withdrew the plug.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
sorry but I don't get the leave it in B or D for the duration of a journey
I often drive journeys which is a mix of motorway and A or B roads and use D on the motorway and a mix of D and B on the A and B roads. Using B mostly for slowing for corners without having to break, which I find works really well, and equally an A road with a long straight, into D and then B to slow the car. Which works really well in fact it's something I really like about the car.
would just really like to have the charging status displayed without having the system on.
Most of the rapid chargers I use have screens that are at best just visible on even a moderately bright day.
Just use E-pedal, then D or B are the same. It's not hard to feather the throttle to avoid regen or friction braking.

I concur about invisible charger displays and some of them only show the charging power for a few minutes and then revert back to the standby screen so it would be useful if the dash showed this after 1press when charging is happening.

PS no need to shout

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just use E-pedal, then D or B are the same. It's not hard to feather the throttle to avoid regen or friction braking.

I concur about invisible charger displays and some of them only show the charging power for a few minutes and then revert back to the standby screen so it would be useful if the dash showed this after 1press when charging is happening.

PS no need to shout
Sorry didnt mean to shout.
I just don't like the throttle pedal feel in E-pedal mode, you need to use the pedal more, softer in D and less stress.
I like the challenge of using B mode as engine braking and little or no touch on the brakes.
I guess everyone drives differently 😀
Wonder if you get hand controls for a leaf 😉

·
Registered
283 Posts
Turning an EV on isn't the costly process it is an ICE car. 'Ignition' and 'firing up the engines' are holdovers from the old way of thinking. So, it doesn't matter much if it's a cycle (1-2-3-1-2-3 etc.) or a ladder, like a traditional ignition (1-2-3-2-1 etc.)

The Leaf isn't exactly either though. There is a section of the manual that explains it but it is complicated enough I can't remember the details. So maybe could be simpler.

My current thoughts on drive mode are:

Eco: undemanding suburban driving, best for maneuvering
D: fast, mixed, or unfamiliar driving
B: downhill, engine braking
e-Pedal: congestion, urban stop/start, never use for maneuvering

Kind regards
- Garry

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
17 Posts
So, it doesn't matter much if it's a cycle (1-2-3-1-2-3 etc.) or a ladder, like a traditional ignition (1-2-3-2-1 etc.)
But it does matter. The reboot process on the Leaf is painfully slow. You have to wait for the Telematics disclaimer and then accept that. And, if you have your phone connected, it will reconnect to Android Auto and so you have to wait for that to time out before you can go back to the screen you first wanted. It all takes about 30 seconds and is a pain if you just want to play with the SatNav while your other half has gone into the shops. I know I could just leave the car 'fired up' (ready to drive) but I suppose my ICE upbringing just makes me uncomfortable sitting in the car in that condition for a long period stationary.

·
Registered
283 Posts
But it does matter. The reboot process on the Leaf is painfully slow. You have to wait for the Telematics disclaimer and then accept that. And, if you have your phone connected, it will reconnect to Android Auto and so you have to wait for that to time out before you can go back to the screen you first wanted. It all takes about 30 seconds and is a pain if you just want to play with the SatNav while your other half has gone into the shops. I know I could just leave the car 'fired up' (ready to drive) but I suppose my ICE upbringing just makes me uncomfortable sitting in the car in that condition for a long period stationary.
That's not what happens on my Leaf. If I am quick with my button presses I don't have to re-accept the disclaimer. (Haven't tried the phone thing though.)

Mine's a 2021 model, so the infotainment system is different from yours. Perhaps someone at Nissan saw the problem and fixed it?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
2,928 Posts
I don't use AA so the start up time is negligible.
That's not what happens on my Leaf. If I am quick with my button presses I don't have to re-accept the disclaimer. (Haven't tried the phone thing though.)

Mine's a 2021 model, so the infotainment system is different from yours. Perhaps someone at Nissan saw the problem and fixed it?
About time!
It is irritating having to tap Accept.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts