Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
About time!
It is irritating having to tap Accept.
Don't get me wrong. It still asks me every time I get in the car and that is still irritating. But not when cycling between modes, as long as it isn't in the Off mode for too long.

There may be a software update for older Leafs -- I would check with your dealer next time you talk with them.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
Don't get me wrong. It still asks me every time I get in the car and that is still irritating. But not when cycling between modes, as long as it isn't in the Off mode for too long.

There may be a software update for older Leafs -- I would check with your dealer next time you talk with them.
Same as mine then. I thought you meant it never asked you.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
I do like and use E-pedal most of the time, even on motorways because it isn't too hard to feather the throttle so there is no braking.
Don't you use adaptive cruise/Pro Pilot on the motorway, which over-rides e-pedal? I find that so much more relaxing. Incidentally I have given up using e-pedal altogether as I find it too jerky manoeuvring in a confined space, and prefer to let it creep on D.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
Don't you use adaptive cruise/Pro Pilot on the motorway, which over-rides e-pedal? I find that so much more relaxing. Incidentally I have given up using e-pedal altogether as I find it too jerky manoeuvring in a confined space, and prefer to let it creep on D.
On the contrary, I use E-pedal in the local village for reversing into the tight parking spaces and it's dead easy thanks to this, finger light low speed steering and the all round camera.

I drive with 'verve' on the country roads and have habitually been a 'later braker' so E-pedal suits me fine and probably explains why my regen % per month is about 23% of total consumption.

Not having to move my foot and being able to control even rapid progress with the one pedal is a superb innovation I didn't initially anticipate when deciding to buy an EV. I guess it must wearing the ballet shoes to drive that helps!

I don't like the idea of paddles on the wheel, unless one was for actual braking (like a Motability car).

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
On the contrary, I use E-pedal in the local village for reversing into the tight parking spaces and it's dead easy thanks to this, finger light low speed steering and the all round camera.
Maybe it's because I had a bad experience in a gravel-covered car park. The car just took off as it gripped the underlying hard surface as I reversed into a space and crashed into the rear of a brand-new car behind. The owners were very nice about it, but without giving me the option to pay for the repairs, claimed through their insurance, with the result I now have a loading on my insurance for goodness-knows how many years. I feel very bitter about the way they went about it.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
Maybe it's because I had a bad experience in a gravel-covered car park. The car just took off as it gripped the underlying hard surface as I reversed into a space and crashed into the rear of a brand-new car behind. The owners were very nice about it, but without giving me the option to pay for the repairs, claimed through their insurance, with the result I now have a loading on my insurance for goodness-knows how many years. I feel very bitter about the way they went about it.
Sorry to hear that and I can see why you don't like E-pedal.
I'll have to find some gravel and see what happens as I am puzzled as to why it just didn't stop when you lifted off completely. (as mine does when manouvering.)

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Sorry to hear that and I can see why you don't like E-pedal.
I'll have to find some gravel and see what happens as I am puzzled as to why it just didn't stop when you lifted off completely. (as mine does when manouvering.)
Especially bitter since I bought them a bottle of Chateauneuf du Pape as a peace offering as they seemed so reasonable about it. Anyway back to the story. I didn't lift my foot off the pedal as I was slowly backing into the space when it suddenly took off without warning. Hit the other car before I had time to react. The other car shot back a couple of feet on impact.

Incidentally the Leaf was undamaged :)

·
Registered
Two Nissan Leaf e+
218 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. We haven't had a Leaf gripes type thread for a while! 'First world problems' comes to mind :).

Regarding flappy paddles, I tend to agree with you @KenBerry . I am a big Leaf fan, but having come to it from an Outlander which had paddles, they are a very user friendly thing. 5 modes of regen on the Mitsu made the paddles more relevant though perhaps.

The charging status thing I kind of get. But as has been said, a quick look at the blue flashing lights is pretty helpful and many other EVs don't have this at a glance feature. An i3 owning friend is quite envious of said lights actually, and the app is normally quite responsive as another way of checking. But a quicker way of checking in a more detailed way without waiting for boot up, would be an improvement.

To reiterate what @80698 said. Starting up the infotainment and heating with just the ignition button (ie not the brake pedal too) will flatten the 12v battery.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
This has been an interesting thread. We haven't had a Leaf gripes type thread for a while! 'First world problems' comes to mind :).

Regarding flappy paddles, I tend to agree with you @KenBerry . I am a big Leaf fan, but having come to it from an Outlander which had paddles, they are a very user friendly thing. 5 modes of regen on the Mitsu made the paddles more relevant though perhaps.

The charging status thing I kind of get. But as has been said, a quick look at the blue flashing lights is pretty helpful and many other EVs don't have this at a glance feature. An i3 owning friend is quite envious of said lights actually, and the app is normally quite responsive as another way of checking. But a quicker way of checking in a more detailed way without waiting for boot up, would be an improvement.

To reiterate what @80698 said. Starting up the infotainment and heating with just the ignition button (ie not the brake pedal too) will flatten the 12v battery.
Yes, it speaks volumes for owner satisfaction that the only complaints are trivial and really amount to a wish list.

Although I have to say I don't find the auto headlight dipping much use. It's too slow to dip when a car is approaching and too slow to switch main beam on again. Locally, it dips on bends for no reason, presumably from reflections from the shrubbery. I turn it off.

I would like the voice commands to have included wiper and heating control, even charging status.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Overall, happy with mine. My main gripes are not really Leaf or even EV specific.

1. I haven't figured out how best to manoeuvre it on a hill yet, especially getting in and out of parking spaces. I am used to manual clutch control for balancing against gravity & fine adjustments. This is the only serious thing & it would be the same with most autos.

2. The 'intelligent' RFID key seems like a stupid invention. I was quite happy sticking the key in the ignition with all my previous cars. I still have something I need to carry around with me but now I need to buy and use special Faraday cage wallets to prevent 'boosting' theft when the keys are in the house. But it's the same with many modern cars.

3. The app could be better. (So say all Leaf owners ever.)

·
Registered
Two Nissan Leaf e+
218 Posts
Yes, it speaks volumes for owner satisfaction that the only complaints are trivial and really amount to a wish list.

Although I have to say I don't find the auto headlight dipping much use. It's too slow to dip when a car is approaching and too slow to switch main beam on again. Locally, it dips on bends for no reason, presumably from reflections from the shrubbery. I turn it off.

I would like the voice commands to have included wiper and heating control, even charging status.
Yes! The auto dip isn't much good. Good one.

And the turning circle isn't as tight as I'd like. That's two ;).

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
Yes! The auto dip isn't much good. Good one.

And the turning circle isn't as tight as I'd like. That's two ;).
I think the reliability and absence of very irritating problems that afflict many other EVs is a much undervalued feature of the Leaf.

It would totally ruin my enjoyment if I was all set to leave at 5am on a 6hour journey to find the charge timer had not worked, or I had managed to lock the fob in the car (even worse if the dog was inside and kept triggering the alarm).

Never had any problems stopping a charge, disconnecting the cable or finding the charge rate was not what it should be.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Overall, happy with mine. My main gripes are not really Leaf or even EV specific.

1. I haven't figured out how best to manoeuvre it on a hill yet, especially getting in and out of parking spaces. I am used to manual clutch control for balancing against gravity & fine adjustments. This is the only serious thing & it would be the same with most autos.

2. The 'intelligent' RFID key seems like a stupid invention. I was quite happy sticking the key in the ignition with all my previous cars. I still have something I need to carry around with me but now I need to buy and use special Faraday cage wallets to prevent 'boosting' theft when the keys are in the house. But it's the same with many modern cars.

3. The app could be better. (So say all Leaf owners ever.)
The faraday cage (also known as a metal box) is only needed if you leave keyless entry on. You can switch this off and just use the buttons on the key fob to open doors etc. If keyless entry is turned off the boosting theft cannot by used.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
I assume you mean this as a positive, as it's impossible to lock the car from outside if either fob is inside.
That's what I implied as I said "it would have ruined my day had I been able to lock the fob in the car". Ergo it can't be done, which is a positive and I can't believe drivers of other EVs can get caught out.

·
Registered
385 Posts
The faraday cage (also known as a metal box) is only needed if you leave keyless entry on. You can switch this off and just use the buttons on the key fob to open doors etc. If keyless entry is turned off the boosting theft cannot by used.
That setting would make gaining entry harder but would not prevent the boosted signal from starting the car.

The pouches I bought are small and light, and use some kind of fabric, rather than a box. They cost very little, so it’s not a major issue really.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Two things that annoy me about my Leaf are:

1) set the satnav for a 105 miles journey with a 100% charge and approx. 130 miles on the GOM and a message pops up, "Destination out of range, search for a charging station." This is nuts! I have enough charge and couldn't fit anymore in if I did go to charge.

2) the open door alarm for the driver's door. Even if yout parked up enjoying some air with the door open it goes off. Wish I could just disable it totally.

Other than these, I'm very happy with it and have done a few long journeys in it too.

40KWh Tekna, love it!

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,296 Posts
Two things that annoy me about my Leaf are:

1) set the satnav for a 105 miles journey with a 100% charge and approx. 130 miles on the GOM and a message pops up, "Destination out of range, search for a charging station." This is nuts! I have enough charge and couldn't fit anymore in if I did go to charge.

2) the open door alarm for the driver's door. Even if yout parked up enjoying some air with the door open it goes off. Wish I could just disable it totally.

Other than these, I'm very happy with it and have done a few long journeys in it too.

40KWh Tekna, love it!
I sometimes get the message and have never understood why. i think if you turn off the alert in the settings it disables it.
Click on Info, EV setting, EV info, alarms & beeps and you can turn it off.

Yes, the door beeps are a minor irritation if the power is not off.

Did an enjoyable 175 mile round trip from east to west and back along the B6318 Hadrian's Wall route this morning.
I could have done it without recharging but decided on a quick top-up at the Toby Inn Carvery at Carlisle as I had some credit in my BP Pulse account. (29p/kwh)

21 - 40 of 82 Posts