Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 2016 Acenta 30kWh
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, still only a few weeks into our ownership and thought it'd be easier to ask here!

Firstly, is there an easy way to see the current battery charge, in percentage terms (not just the blue bars) displayed somewhere? I'm struggling to connect the Nissan app (waiting for Nissan to call me back), and I'm guessing that's the main way. But it'd be nice to know the exact figure, both while we're driving and while it's charging. Surely there's some way of getting it displayed on the dashboard?

Secondly, we're planning quite a lengthy drive on Saturday and I'm trying to pre-sort a route. Are we able to use the high power Tesla Type 2 rapid chargers? There are a couple en route but I don't want to melt my car...

Thanks!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you scroll through the menus using the 4 buttons on the dash to your right, there is just the item you need.

Chademo are the chargers you need use zap map.

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
As Tony says, press the top left button in the group of four buttons to the right of the steering wheel to cycle between different displays - one of them is exact battery percentage.

And no, you can't use any Tesla chargers on a 24/30kWh Leaf. (You don't say exactly what model you have)

For rapid charging you want to look for chargers that have Chademo. If the car came with a Type 2 to Type 1 cable you can charge from socketed Type 2 AC charge points ("destination chargers") as well but it will be quite slow (3kW or 6kW) vs 45kW on Chademo, so not something you'd normally use en-route.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool, thanks - Chademo it is then. And thanks for the display advice - just checked it out. :) Is there any way to get something to display as we're charging? A couple of chargers that we've tried so far didn't have any sort of decent display so all we had to go on was the three blue charging lights - all a bit of a guessing game...

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Cool, thanks - Chademo it is then. And thanks for the display advice - just checked it out. :) Is there any way to get something to display as we're charging? A couple of chargers that we've tried so far didn't have any sort of decent display so all we had to go on was the three blue charging lights - all a bit of a guessing game...
Sure - you have to turn the car off before you can start charging but once charging has commenced just press the power button twice (once will only bring on the radio) and you'll get a fully lit dashboard where you can select the percentage remaining just like when the car is being driven. (Also you'll see the charge bar graph and estimated range on the right hand side)

You can also run the heater while charging to keep warm although it will slightly slow down the charging speed - the heater will use about 0.5 - 3kW depending on conditions out of a maximum possible 45kW from a rapid charger.

If you want the dashboard display of charge percentage but not the heater you can just turn the heater off (the heat button) or turn the climate control completely off including fan. (The button below the auto button)

One other tip if you're new is charging to 100% on a rapid charger is usually not recommended as the last 10% takes a long time and also puts more stress on the battery if it's hot. So it's actually much faster for total journey time if you only charge to 80-90% on rapid chargers provided that gives you enough range. This is particularly the case if you'll be making more than one charging stop on the journey.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sure - you have to turn the car off before you can start charging but once charging has commenced just press the power button twice (once will only bring on the radio) and you'll get a fully lit dashboard where you can select the percentage remaining just like when the car is being driven. (Also you'll see the charge bar graph and estimated range on the right hand side)

You can also run the heater while charging to keep warm although it will slightly slow down the charging speed - the heater will use about 0.5 - 3kW depending on conditions out of a maximum possible 45kW from a rapid charger.

If you want the dashboard display of charge percentage but not the heater you can just turn the heater off. (The button below the auto button)
Amazing - thanks! I'm sure it's all in the manual, but that thing weighs more than I do :)

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
If you're charging on a rapid charger (CHADeMo) then 30-40 minutes generally gets the job done.

Most of the charge networks will insist you have to download an app to use them. While that's initially an irritation, many of these apps will also give you a running total in kWh or similar while you are drinking your coffee inside. You can get a reasonable idea from that if you don't have the Nissan app sorted out.

If your going on a trip you may want to figure out a few to download to your phone before you set off.

FYI The much maligned (on this forum at least) electric highway chargers (ecotricity) work pretty well for a Leaf on CHADeMo. There's a couple of them in most motorway service areas. They are relatively expensive but on a longer trip I use them as they are typically on route and often available.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
Agreed, the top left of the four buttons scrolls through various displays including SoC.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
As you are new to charging en route I would recommend loading " A Better Route Planner" - known to all as ABRP.

A Better Routeplanner

In the settings, you can enter your car details and also other facts such as your preferred starting and ending charge percentage on a journey as well as weather and car loading etc. Then, when you enter the starting and endpoints, including a return trip if it isn't one way, it will plan your optimal route and give suggested charging sites and timings to fit with your overall charge plan. It is usually accurate but also use ZapMap to check its charger suggestions as ABRP does not know the status of its suggestions but ZM does. Then prepare plan B + C to overcome any glitches.

And make sure that you have the necessary apps on your phone and a valid credit card for any Rapid operator where you intend to stop. The first longish trip is always daunting but properly planned it can be a satisfying adventure.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks, that's all really useful. Attempting a 200 mile round trip with the whole family on Saturday - adventure time! Reckon there's a couple of decent charging options on the way there, plus the destination is Milton Keynes so shouldn't be hard to find somewhere once we arrive. Quite looking forward to it now!

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Remember to be conservative with how far you're going for each leg of the journey between charging - range will be significantly less at this time of year than summer. Play it safe until you're comfortable with what the car can and can't do.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi all, just wanted to update you after all the helpful support on here. Successful first major trip yesterday: Norwich -> Milton Keynes -> Norwich in a day. Ended up charging 5 times (stopping in Cambourne and Thetford on both stretches) and on the whole it worked really well, and we learnt a lot over the length of the trip. It seems the max range in this weather is about 75 miles: 15 miles for every 20% of battery seemed to be pretty consistent (cold weather, lights and rain most of the way, although it was pretty flat, and mainly driving on A roads). Had to have the heater / blower on pretty much constantly to keep the screen clear - I'll look into some sort of dehumidifier solution that we can keep on the dashboard.

Only major issue was when I trusted the Leaf's SatNav over the roadsigns in front of me and missed a major turn, sending me miles further down the A14. After we'd turned round, we made it into Cambourne with only 7% left. Guess I'll need to look into how to update the maps in the system. Pretty successful charges too, although getting some of the BP Chargemaster / Polar stations in MK to work was a pain - spent £20 on credit that wasn't even used. Also had a Geniepoint charger fail once someone else tried charging off the same unit at the same time, but all else good.

Thanks again. Loving the EV life!

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hi all, just wanted to update you after all the helpful support on here. Successful first major trip yesterday: Norwich -> Milton Keynes -> Norwich in a day. Ended up charging 5 times (stopping in Cambourne and Thetford on both stretches) and on the whole it worked really well, and we learnt a lot over the length of the trip. It seems the max range in this weather is about 75 miles: 15 miles for every 20% of battery seemed to be pretty consistent (cold weather, lights and rain most of the way, although it was pretty flat, and mainly driving on A roads). Had to have the heater / blower on pretty much constantly to keep the screen clear - I'll look into some sort of dehumidifier solution that we can keep on the dashboard.

Only major issue was when I trusted the Leaf's SatNav over the roadsigns in front of me and missed a major turn, sending me miles further down the A14. After we'd turned round, we made it into Cambourne with only 7% left. Guess I'll need to look into how to update the maps in the system. Pretty successful charges too, although getting some of the BP Chargemaster / Polar stations in MK to work was a pain - spent £20 on credit that wasn't even used. Also had a Geniepoint charger fail once someone else tried charging off the same unit at the same time, but all else good.

Be very careful with map updates. The 2016 Leafs had no less than 3 different map code SD cards and head units fitted between March and September 2016. Our vintage of Leaf was right on the cusp of the changeover and my Nissan dealer had to try twice before getting the right card-and that was 5 years out of date by the time it was released! Even the Dutch suppliers got it wrong first time!

I no longer use the inbuilt Nissan sat-nav for directions, I have an Android 8" phablet set up just above it and use Sygic sat-nav.
IMG_20200829_115453_8.jpg IMG_20200829_115517_7.jpg IMG_20200829_115615_9.jpg

The Phablet is secured by a silicon mat with an old Garmin sat-nav bean-bag mount I had lying around.
It is obviously a cheapie tablet so not a thief magnet.
I use Sygic because it doubles as an extra dash-cam recording in the background, plus I have all the other Android goodies at my finger tips. The tablet is just a cheapie-about £130 and it automatically hooks onto my hotspot on my 'phone for up-to-date traffic etc. when I get into the car. I use EE and for unlimited data/calls/texts it's about £36 a month. EE have the best UK-wide coverage at the moment. I have an emergency gif-gaff sim in the phablet just in case.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,912 Posts
Glad that you had a successful trip.
The maps are stuck at 2014 and even the most recent updates are January 2016 - use Waze or Google Maps on your phone.
BP Chargemaster / Polar are unreliable and best avoided, use Instavolt and Engiene where possible. Genie point are normally OK.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts

The Leaf satnav is a bit odd in any case. It selects routes that are a bit roundabout. Seems to object to smaller roads.
That A14 / A428 junction is a new layout and the new A14 won't be on the Leaf map as only completed about a year ago. I can imagine the Leaf SatNav completely failing to understand that one. Glad you made your charge stop.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
Glad that you had a successful trip.
The maps are stuck at 2014 and even the most recent updates are January 2016 - use Waze or Google Maps on your phone.
BP Chargemaster / Polar are unreliable and best avoided, use Instavolt and Engiene where possible. Genie point are normally OK.
Depends what head unit the car has. You might well be right for the Carwings head units used from 2013 to 2015. But the "Nissan Connect EV" style head unit used from 2016-2017 (late 24kWh and all 30kWh) had a map update to bring the map data up to the end of 2018. (So still two years out of date... :rolleyes: ) It's unclear if there will be any more official map updates beyond that but it looks like 3rd party updates are feasible in the future.

I just use Google maps in my car.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
My Leaf 24 was delivered in October 2016 and on the way home I noticed that the SatNav was a few years out of date as a new road near here that was built two or three years earlier wasn't showing. I went back to ask them to update it but they just said that they could sell me an updated card for £350. We had a frank exchange of views as I declined their kind offer.

·
Registered
559 Posts
The problem with the map updates is by the time they actually get to the dealers they are already years out of date. The maps are done by HERE in Holland, coded and encrypted to ensure Nissan get their massive cut, then transferred to an SD card packaged nicely and so by the time they actually see a head unit they are 2-3 years out of date.

The problem is there is no way for the end user to just pay their dosh get a code and download the latest maps over the air so the maps are as up to date as possible.
Use a tablet with Google Maps, TomTom, Waze or as I do Sygic.
Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
4,944 Posts
My Leaf 24 was delivered in October 2016 and on the way home I noticed that the SatNav was a few years out of date as a new road near here that was built two or three years earlier wasn't showing. I went back to ask them to update it but they just said that they could sell me an updated card for £350. We had a frank exchange of views as I declined their kind offer.
The price through official channels for the map SD card is around £130 now - not nearly that expensive, but still expensive given that it's late 2018 map data.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
7,735 Posts
I had my classic Hyundai Ioniq serviced a few weeks ago and they upgraded the SatNav free at the same time. Of course, this is a wifi download rather than a new physical card. I say upgrade rather than update because it greatly improved the whole programme as well as the maps. All as it should be. You watching Nissan?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts