Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just seen this post on Leaf Talk and it causes me great concern.

I have included the text of it here as I would imagine that the Leaf owner concerned would welcome any help possible...

Dear Leafers

I am writing to you as a last resort. See, I've made a personal sacrifice to go electric, and am now being forced into downgrading to a petrol car, despite: living in central London!

I've recently moved to Wapping from Russell Square, along with my trusty Leaf, and was hoping that by having an underground parking spot at my complex, I'll be able to live the blissful EV life. But no. My building, despite being brand new, and despite having sockets next to every bay(!!), will not permit electric vehicle charging.

And there are no on-street charging points in all of Tower Hamlets, Wapping's Borough.

So this means: I can't charge at home, I can't charge on the street, and short of driving to an NCP car park and leaving my car to charge nd taking the tube back home, I can't charge anywhere else.

I have appealed to Wapping's councillors - both of them, and have learnt that Tower Hamlets has no initiative towards EV use, and is London's only borough to not sign up to the Source London scheme.

And my building, despite being brand new, and having sockets by each parking bay, won't support charging either.

The sad fact of the matter is that people are skeptical about EV use; know nothing about EVs; and won't support it.

I'm writing to you to see if there's some way you could possibly help. I don't know how you would - but I've reached at the end of the road having exhausted all other options....and my battery is flat.

Thanks,

A Leaf owner of 2 years
http://www.leaftalk.co.uk/showthread.php/17424-Have-to-go-back-to-Petrol-end-of-the-road

I am very surprised that any London Borough could be so backward thinking as Tower Hamlets seems to be.

I am sure he might be able to do something... does anyone have any ideas? I am sure he'd love to hear from you.

I don't know if he is a member here... probably not as he hasn't posted his plight here... so perhaps you might want to contact him on Leaf Talk... or even better... get him to sign up here :)

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So... you would recommend that he:

- steals electricity from the landowner... or whoever pays for the electricity supplying those sockets?
- charges against the expressed wishes of the landowner so that if there was an issue he would potentially have no insurance?
- Places his fellow neighbours in a difficult position because it is likely they already know that the landowner has refused permission to charge. Do they report him or not?
- put at risk the future of his accomodation?

It sounds so easy doesn't it, so simple... just plug in!

No. That is not the right approach if he wants to find a lasting solution. It would work until they found out then he might be needing to look for another place to live. Far better to stay within the spirit of the law as well as the law itself, show willingness to find a working and permanent solution for the benefit of everyone.

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
So... you would recommend that he:

- steals electricity from the landowner... or whoever pays for the electricity supplying those sockets?
- charges against the expressed wishes of the landowner so that if there was an issue he would potentially have no insurance?
- Places his fellow neighbours in a difficult position because it is likely they already know that the landowner has refused permission to charge. Do they report him or not?
- put at risk the future of his accomodation?

It sounds so easy doesn't it, so simple... just plug in!

No. That is not the right approach if he wants to find a lasting solution. It would work until they found out then he might be needing to look for another place to live. Far better to stay within the spirit of the law as well as the law itself, show willingness to find a working and permanent solution for the benefit of everyone.
Yeah that's what I'd do. I've got told off several times at work for driving up onto a grass verge to get to the other side of the charging bays, since they were iced. Yeah, they moan about it, but if you calmly explain why you chose that course of action with getting arsey they can't really say much else...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Paul your right of course, im just saying what I would do, yes im a bad person but quite frankly I dont care yes I do download music and dont pay I also have driven above the speed limit I have also tried to and been sucesfull in not paying for parking tickets, and I have also had dodgey software for my computer, so im qualified to give advice about getting stuff for free

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LOL!

That doesn't make you a bad person... many people are happy doing those things... unfortunately it is the rest of us though who don't that who suffer... that is your choice and mine.

However, to give advice to someone asking for help that could get him in deep do do is not very friendly IMO. If he was like you and didn't have any issues with stealing or putting his future at risk then he would have probably just plugged in and not asked. Clearly he wants to find a better and permanent solution and so just plugging in is not going to do that.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Paul what I do is bad, im tight aswell but I say in fact I like it when people dont like me because beimg in the motor trade they all seem to like me when they want advice but lucky ive a app that picks up the two faced ones
lol

·
Registered
309 Posts
I reccon for the residents to say hoover there car, charge a flat battery ect, to be honest I think he is not hard up as living there in london he loaded, so im gueasw he is as tight as me driving a leaf

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Point of order: If you are in the motor trade then why isn't that in your signature? It is a forum requirement you know?

You may post on behalf of a commercial organisation without any prior arrangement or agreement. However, If you represent – officially or otherwise – a company related to electric vehicles, related infrastructure or the motor industry we ask you declare such interests in your forum signature.
See: https://speakev.com/help/terms

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
Paul what I do is bad, im tight aswell but I say in fact I like it when people dont like me because beimg in the motor trade they all seem to like me when they want advice but lucky ive a app that picks up the two faced ones
lol
You are hilarious Gary

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Tower Hamlets is the closest thing the UK has to a banana republic. Electoral fraud investigations from the Mayoral election earlier in the year are still outstanding. There was a near riot outside the count on polling night. TH can be almost impossible to reason with...

·
Super Moderator
7,478 Posts
I've removed some posts, please don't get personal guys.

Reactions: E Geeza

·
Registered
309 Posts
Thanks edd, I have upset paul and im truly sorry please pass on my appology, I will not hide the fact that im not a saint, I do speed I do download music and I have used copied software, I realise this will offend lots of people but im not prepared to live a lie,

For anyone that I have upset or caused upset I here by appologise for my words or actions

1 - 20 of 48 Posts