Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Day One,

Saturday

After many months of waiting, D day is here, prearranged with the dealer to collect the car (and pay!).

09:00, arrive and met by the sales person, run through paperwork, handed the card machine, slot in debit card, key in PIN, *boom* just like that spent £22k ;), scarily easy - just like buying a coffee in Starbucks!

Then outside to walk round the car (which was still plugged into the dealers single customer accessible ev charge point).

Sales job done, I sit in the car and contemplate the bewildering dash (Did I say, I've never driven the GTE before, never even had a demo before placing my order as dealer had sold their demo). So, feeling confident after watching numerous YouTube videos and having read many posts, it can't be hard to drive...can it?

Eventually, leave the dealership and head for a local road with lots of bends. After an hour or so, I feel confident in the car's performance envelope having tested the braking, acceleration and various EV, GTE modes.

Head for home and put car on charge, plug in the zappi and hit boost charge, which sqeezes in electro pixies at the full 16A that the GTE will accept.

Decide to sit in the car reading the manual, to work out how to set up timed charging. Set the relevant parameters in the menu, but as car is already daytime charging, leave it to finish the cycle.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Day Two

Sunday

Bright sunny day, the sunshine really sets the Isaac Blue off, 18" Advance wheels look sharp.

Go to unplug the zappi charge lead encounter resistance...ah yes, I remember it locks, so grasp the car keys to unlock the car, hey presto the charge plug is released. Whilst coiling up the lead on the zappi, notice that the car has received just over 5.8kWh charge.

Out for a drive to visit my parents, Dad is a lapsed petrolhead, but due to age/illness is resigned to driving around like a Grandad...(well actually he is a Great Grandad) so, f$#@ that means I'm a Grandad :eek: (Note to the younger readers, age creeps up on you when you least expect it ;).
Anyway, back to the car...So it's a sunny day and I head out on the 95-mile round trip. Initially I'm running on hybrid EV mode, but it's very hot and I've got the aircon on, soon notice the EV battery range dropping to sub 10-miles, so switch to battery hold mode as I want to demo the EV mode to Dad when I get there.

It was a couple of hours after arrival before we look at the car (somehow on arrival I'm co-opted into helping to repair a refrigerator!).

First impression from an octogenarian 'it's a smart looking Golf', ummm, not sure what I was expecting, but this muted, almost underwhelmed reaction is much like my own on first seeing the car in the flesh.

So, I pop the bonnet and get a much better response, 'what the 'f$#@ is all that' he exclaims! I learnt most of my mechanical knowledge from this guy, he knows his way around motors, but he is lost looking at all the extra stuff in the engine bay.

So, time for a ride out.

Is it on, ....he asks as I reverse out of his drive ;)

Okay, an admission...I may have killed more electro pixies than was entirely necessary when we pulled away...the result being that Dad was impressed at the rapid and smooth acceleration under pure EV.

Once we were clear of the local houses I selected the GTE mode and floored it, resulting in us both having stupid grins like the TV advert VW ran back in Dec :)

On returning home, I took my Mum out, but knowing that she would not be impressed with the same things that appealed to a petrolhead, I kept it in pure EV. She was impressed in how quite and refined the car was. Job done!

Having used most of the EV battery, the journey home was on hybrid mode, mostly ICE, with a little intervention at roundabouts and slow junctions.

Arrived home with 0-mile EV range showing.

Plugged the zappi in and set to charge overnight for E7 cheap rate electro pixies.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Day Three

Monday morning, 06:00

Out to car, (remembered to unlock the car this time!), unplugged the charge lead and go to coil up...WTF....

...zappi reports 'failed charge'.

Now, consider its 06:00 and I need to catch a train in 20mins...I am not so silently cursing VW and the manufacturers of the zappi in equal measure.

Getting in the car, turning the key shows I have 3-miles EV range, so start my journey after selecting Battery charge mode.

The journey is only 3-miles each way to the railway station, so even with the ICE 'charging', I arrive with 1-mile EV range showing.

Now it just happens that this is the first day of a major shake up in the railway timetables and long distance commuters like myself have a $hitload of issues to contend with this week with trains being cancelled/delayed etc, so the GTE is the last thing on my mind.

In the evening (being grateful that I was even able to get a train home) I'm not best pleased to see the car reporting 0-miles EV range...

....but, I was able to get home running Battery Charge mode.

Not being in the mood to faff around with setting/diagnostics after a $hit day, I just plug in the zappi lead and hit boost mode (ignoring the fact that the charge is costing like 3x what it should do had I been able to use the E7 tariff.

Go to bed contemplating what might be wrong to cause a failed overnight charge, but frankly more concerned about the prospect of more screw ups by the train companies...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Day Four

Tue.

Thank God, .....zappi reports that the 'EV is fully charged'.

Indeed the dash display states 28-mile EV range.

So, make the short journey to the station in pure EV, no dramas...this is how it should be.

The trains on the other hand are royally screwed- but hey you don't want to know about that.

When I eventually finish my return commute from London, I'm glad that I can get in the dependable GTE and get home.

I don't bother plugging in the zappi as the car reports that there is still 19-mile EV charge (I don't take much notice that the 28 initial range, less the 6-miles travelled has somehow 'lost' 3-mile).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Day Five

Wed

Much like Tue, only as I had not plugged in the zappi charger I did not lose the 2-mins it takes to unplug and coil up the cable....

....hey don't judge me....2-mins can make a big difference if you're running late and have to catch a train!

The GTE reported 20-mile range on start up (noticing a trend here...i.e. don't trust the reported EV range as it is making it up as we go along...

Anyway, as expected no issues with the car. Unfortunately, same can't be said for the trains...really does make you wonder what level of service I should expect for my £6,400 annual season ticket :(

Journey home from station is uneventful, car behaving.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Day Six

Thur

Essentially a repeat of Wed, excepting I realise that my rail season ticket expires at the end of May and the cost has increased to £6,700...

Still issues with trains (3 of 4 in my commuting period are now being cancelled by default), again, I contemplate the sanity of paying a small fortune each year for a deteriorating level of service.

Sorry to bore you with my woes on the trains, but I am trying to put in context how the GTE (or any car for that matter) sits in my weekly journeys.

For me (and many thousands of other commuters) the car is one part of our daily journey. In my case, the GTE was selected to fill a specific purpose, 5x days a week it will do a 6x mile round trip on pure EV, at the weekend it will occassionaly go longer distances and may get called into doing a little 'enthusiastic' driving if the mood takes me.

Oh, 16-miles reported EV range at the end of the day.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Day Seven

Friday

Again, the car was not charged overnight, but wow!!! EV range reported as 10-miles...

...somehow the electro pixies are escaping?

Journey to and from the station were uneventful, no issues with the car (on pure EV mode).

On returning home, plugged in the zappi as EV range showing as 4-miles. After double checking both the zappi and car settings, confident that I will get a full charge overnight (during E7 period).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Day Eight

Saturday

Yes, I've had the car precisely 1-week!!!! 158-miles on the odo.

Lots of stuff to do round the house (that's the disadvantage of being a long distance commuter, you only have 'spare time' at the weekend).

Its my Daughters birthday today, so 4x of us go out to the GTE ready to go out for a meal....

....I push the key fob to release, half acknowledge that I did not hear the doors release/mirrors move and go to remove the charge plug...

It won't budge...

...push the button again, by this time everyone except me has gotten into the car...

....I'm confused!!!

The zappi reports EV fully charged.

I try locking the car ....nothing, nada, zip...

Get in and turn ignition....faced a completely dead dash nothing working...at this stage the family have twigged that all is not as it should be and beat a hasty retreat back into the house.

Having access (not sure why car is unlocked as it was definitely locked on Fri night), I pop the bonnet.

As a table had been booked, my Wife takes our other car and departs, leaving me to ponder what is wrong with my brand new car!

A quick glance at the user manual tells me that the battery is hidden in the boot, but jump start points are accessible in the engine bay.

I grab a multimeter from the garage and test the voltage...4.2v showing ....oh [email protected], that's not good.

Because there is no 12v supply, the boot release cannot actuate the solenoid to open the boot - so no access to the 12v battery. (In hindsight, I realised I could have got in by dropping the rear seats)

So call VW Assist.

It is 19:20, they don't have a VW tech available until Tue!!!!!, but can send an AA man, eta 45-mins...not bad I guess.

20mins later, I get a call from VW Assist, the AA man won't be able to attend, so they reallocated the call out to a 'local' agent (aka subcontractor).

I finish the call and my phone immediately let's me know that there is a call waiting, its the subcontract recovery guy. I advise that there is no point recovering the car as it is safe on my drive (and physically attached to my house via the charge lead that won't release), also the local VW dealers closed some time ago, so nowhere to deliver the car to anyway.

VW Assist call me again to advise that the recovery guy was unable to recover my car and that a VW tech will attend tomorrow.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Day Nine

Sunday

GTE is dead on my drive, zappi connected unable to disconnect the charge plug.

10:40 receive a call from VW Assist, the tech is on another call out, but I am the next job.

11:30 receive a call from the VW tech, I give him detailed directions to the house.

12:10 VW tech arrives, but after a couple of hours he admits defeat and we jury rig his battery boost pack, piggyback style onto the GTE 12v battery which enable me to release the charge plug and manage to drive it, limp mode with dash displaying every imaginable warning light to my supplying/local dealer.

Receptionist at dealer raises my hackles by saying that they 'may be able to look at the car on Wednesday', I say you mean Tuesday, no she says Wednesday, I repeat you mean Tuesday...

...she does not get it, I'm really pi$$ed at this stage and it is taking every ounce of my self control not to explode. The VW tech guy gets it, and advises the young lady that as the supplying dealer with a week old car completely out of action, perhaps the dealer should raise this job to a priority case....

After the receptionist is corrected by the VW tech on her understanding of who is supplying the replacement vehicle and who pays after the 2nd day (i.e. the dealer does), we depart and the VW tech drives me to my home in his van.

2hrs later I get a call from VW Assist advising me that they have allocated the responsibility of providing a loan car to Enterprise and that they will call me.

Another hour passes and I get a call from Enterprise, I told by a very bubbly and happy person that unfortunately due to it being a bank holiday their local depots are not open until Tue, I will have to wait until then...

...well at this stage, frustration and anger got the better of me.

After I had suitably impressed on the Enterprise person how it was unacceptable for me to be without a car until sometime Tue (when I would be in London anyway), they advised that there was no way I could get a car on Sunday, (it was already late afternoon at this stage). It was left that they would get one of their agents to call me on Monday.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Day Ten

Monday (Bank Holiday)

GTE, ummm yes, kinda wishing I had bought a new Fiesta ST instead at this point, economical, sporty as I need it to be, probably more reliable...

...Anyway, to continue, where were we...oh yes, awaiting a phone call from the agent that Enterprise have engaged to provide a replacement car.

10:46 received call from ? agent for Enterprise. Very sorry, but due to it being a bank holiday, choice of cars severely limited, 'would a VW Sharan be okay?'.

Ummm, no says I, explaining that I need a smaller vehicle to park at the train station (I have an allocated parking bay, that frankly won't accommodate a people carrier!)...oh, says the guy, let me see what I can get and will call you back.

11:10 receive call from the agent, 'how about a Hyundai he asks'. At this stage with my bank holiday almost entirely wasted in waiting for phone calls, I agree.

Around midday I had a 2016 Hyundai i10 delivered...

.....wow really feeling as though I am living the GTE dream.

Tomorrow's instalment - what will the dealer say?, will the trains improve, how is the i10 to drive...all this and much more!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm completely speechless, I always thought that dealerships saved up there worse help for myself. It now seems that you too get the full experience. Looking forward to your next report.

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
I hope not, that story has been going on forever !. Sorry for the joke, I do hope you get sorted very quickly with regards to your car !!. Good luck !.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Seems to be another quality VW GTE. It took them 4 months to fix my 4 month old GTE, had to replace 3 cells in the HV battery and that was VW HQ doing it not a dealer.
It took Nissan 5 days to do the same with a Leaf from start to finnish including shipping the car to Newcastle and back. I dont think VW have a clue what to do when they go wrong.
They are very good when they work : )

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
As mentioned in other threads, there have been other cars where the 12V battery hasn’t been charged properly. It seems to be fixed fairly quickly, so I think the idea of rejecting the car is a little premature.

Oddly, I’ve been reading about Tesla S models where this has happened too. The HV battery charges the 12V battery, but if something goes wrong with the process you get a flat 12V battery and nothing works.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day Eleven

Tue

Awake at 05:00, abolutions and breakfast complete by 05:45, open the front door.....and confronted by the i10...looking on the positive side, I don't need to worry if the car has been charged or not!

Start up procedure is familiar to anyone brought up driving ICE cars, surprising even after a short week of ownership, but it seems so noisy compared to the silence of driving the GTE.

The bite point of the clutch on this car is so high that I bang my knee (clutch is literally 8" off the floor, almost at the end of its travel before it bites...).

After a quick adjust of the seat off I go, this being a sub 1000cc engine I cannot say I enjoyed the journey.

Parked up and had to run for the train, ....I mean WTF it was early!!!!!

But then discovered that the 06:00 train had been cancelled and this (the 06:20) was a reduced service, only 8x carriage instead of the normal 12x...

So, all passengers from two 12x carriage trains fitting into a single 8x.... After a scramble and some judicious elbowing I manage to tag a seat. Approx 10x poor souls are left standing.

The next stop, many more than normal passengers stand looking glum once they realise they will have to stand...before we pull away there are probably 60x people standing in my carriage. 25mins and two stops later the swearing starts, with passengers on the platform trying to push onto all already full to capacity train.

Oh, yes Great Northern/Thameslink rail company has really managed to screw things up even worse than last weeks fiasco.

We arrive into Kings Cross around 07:15 and I then run to St Pancras to catch HS1 for the next leg of my commute.

08:39 I call the dealer to remind them that my GTE is with them,...oh yes they say, 'it was a Bank Holiday, so no technicians were working yesterday...', ummm no $hit Sherlock, I knew that, so when are you looking my car?...'hopefully someone will be able to look at it later today, I'll give you a call with an update'. Maybe I'm being a bit over sensitive but I got the impression that the dealers stance was that because I have a loaner, it is not a priority.

I'll update later when I get a call from the dealer.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Edward, can you explain this comment please:

Getting in the car, turning the key shows I have 3-miles EV range, so start my journey after selecting Battery charge mode.
The journey is only 3-miles each way to the railway station, so even with the ICE 'charging', I arrive with 1-mile EV range showing.

Why the battery charge mode ( and on your return journey)?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Edward, can you explain this comment please:

Why the battery charge mode ( and on your return journey)?
The car starts out in EV, I selected battery charge so that the ICE kicked in. The journey is mostly stop start junctions, traffic lights etc, so best carried out in EV.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts