Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

What do you think is(are) the ultimate enabler(s) of long-distance trips by BEVs

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody, I am a Ph.D. student from the University of Washington. I am working on a research project on the charging behavior of plug-in electric vehicle owners. I have some questions for PEV users here:

(1) What is the model for your EV?

(2) What is the longest trip you have ever used your EV for?

(3) How often do you use your EV for trips that are significantly longer than its range?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Nissan leaf 30kWh
110 miles
Never - I have an ICE too

Also, note that you have provided check-boxes in your survey and all 3 clearly apply, so I ticked all 3.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
1) Leaf 30kWh (and a Renault Zoe that's used for short trips)
2) 1800 mile round-trip across several countries
3) Nearly weekly

·
Registered
221 Posts
Bmw i3 94ah Rex

136 miles each way (no Rex use; 1-2no. recharges)

None significantly so far...take train instead

PS on the poll, all do apply but I believe charge rate is the critical ( lagging) factor

·
Leaf lover
3,696 Posts
Like @Orrery I tick all three in your poll.
I purchased my lovely blue Leaf in 2011 but am nolonger adventurous in a BEV, I sold my soul to the rex.
I have a model 3 reservation and have the faith that a Tesla will be all I need to get wherever by road when I choose.
Driving electric is here and now. Tesla are a here and now company showing the world what is possible here and now but like all things new it does come down to those with the money enjoying it first.
I don't have S or X money and being in the UK the model 3 is yet to come.
So, here and now I do 90+% miles electric in my BMW i3 94 rex.

·
Registered
848 Posts
24kWh LEAF
500 miles (24hrs)
2-5 times a month

More range, then faster charging would help.
40kwh with 100kw charging would be ideal, and some battery thermal management, dam those cold mornings and 5th, 6th and above melting rapids.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
30kwh Leaf, 250 miles and about 10 times a year
Thanks for your response. This is really important for me to know. I used to think Leaf is hard for road trips because of the limited range and low charging speed. Do you think you are one of the few "brave" Leaf users? :).

1 - 20 of 64 Posts