Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 week old eNiro has developed a gentle tapping noise near the top of the driver and front passenger windows.
I didn't notice for the 1st couple of weeks.
The sound is that of small solid metal (say like a screw or small bolt head) tapping on the glass.
Trying to raise the window with the button shows there's no further height to be had.
Pushing the glass against its frame from the inside doesn't prevent the sound. (Trying from the outside might be risky).
And yet gentle cornering affects the noise, as if the glass was moving slightly closer to and away from the metal with gentle cornering forces.

Any thoughts on cause or cure would be welcomed.
TIA

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,127 Posts
Is it the same in wet weather as sunny weather? I've got some weird buzzing in my Corsa that sounds like the top of the A pillar or window glass is buzzing. Can't hear it when it's manky wet weather. When it's dry and sunny it's obvious.

Try dropping the window slightly so it's not right up up. If that changes the noise then it's definitely the window glass up to no good.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
No idea off hand but I’d avoid jumping to conclusions about its source. Sound has an odd ability to appear to be coming from somewhere other than the source especially in the box like structure of a car. I’d be checking for fixtures and fittings elsewhere that may be loose before deciding it’s the door glass. I was once convinced I had a rattle in the radio cage on my dash only to find it was in the interior light unit and I’ve also had what I thought was something stuck in the drivers air vent outlet only to find a leaf trapped in the vent fan down in the passenger footwell behind the glovebox. Sound has a weird habit of travelling through and rebounding off all sorts of surfaces.

It would be strange to have the same fault / noise on both sides of the car. I would say it was being transmitted from a single source somewhere else. Is it louder with the windows down or does it stop?

I just hope it’s not the dreaded ticking noise from the drive train reported by some early edition drivers.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I was convinced there was a screw loose somewhere in my front passenger door. Any cornering would make an odd noise from there until my son who obviously has better hearing than me mentioned that it sounded like the loose change I keep in the storage area in my armrest in the middle of the car. He was right :). The noise had been bugging me for weeks but the sound absolutely sounded like it was coming from the passenger door.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys - completely agree about sound travelling around cars. This sound is very much like something tapping glass but I will broaden the search and try the window-down-abit test.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
293 Posts
Does the ticking sound only occur at lower speeds and just whilst accelerating or decelerating? Does it vary with regen strength etc? Does the repetition rate of the tapping speed up as tge car speeds up?

There was an issue with some cars relating to the traction motor output shaft coupling. I thought it had been all but resolved though as nobody seems to experience the issue now. Thank goodness. I hope it’s not that anyway.

Peter

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,257 Posts
My 4 week old eNiro has developed a gentle tapping noise near the top of the driver and front passenger windows.
I didn't notice for the 1st couple of weeks.
The sound is that of small solid metal (say like a screw or small bolt head) tapping on the glass.
Trying to raise the window with the button shows there's no further height to be had.
Pushing the glass against its frame from the inside doesn't prevent the sound. (Trying from the outside might be risky).
And yet gentle cornering affects the noise, as if the glass was moving slightly closer to and away from the metal with gentle cornering forces.

Any thoughts on cause or cure would be welcomed.
TIA
I can tell you of the three noises in my Soul that I cured, might be completely unrelated or might be a 'brand-thing':

Firstly, the trim of the A pillars was a poor fit. I wedged tissue paper between the window and the plastic trim.

Secondly, the plastic scuttle panel at the bottom of the outside of the window would just rub gently on the bottom of the window, possibly against the window seal, I don't know. Took me a long time to track that down, it sounded like it was coming from the whole of the window so I couldn't trace it. I fixed it by taking a length of sellotape, folding it over itself a few times to make quite a thin wedge of plastic (it's outside so needs to be water proof) and jamming it between the plastic and the window, which cured it. The dealer removed the whole scuttle panel at a service and tried to fix the noise properly, but only resulted in me having to make a new piece of sellotape to jam into that gap to stop the plastic tapping on the bottom of the window.

Thirdly, the dash was simply loose on the left hand side and I wedged a short piece of cord between it and the window to damp that movement.

HTH

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
I was convinced there was a screw loose somewhere in my front passenger door. Any cornering would make an odd noise from there until my son who obviously has better hearing than me mentioned that it sounded like the loose change I keep in the storage area in my armrest in the middle of the car. He was right :). The noise had been bugging me for weeks but the sound absolutely sounded like it was coming from the passenger door.
I once spent a fair amount of time and effort examining every aspect of an Audi rear suspension to find the source of the annoying clonking noise I could hear coming from underneath it. Dodgy bush, loose joint, broken spring? Nope, the golf ball the previous owner had lost into a chassis member in the boot floor which was rolling from side to side on cornering 🙄

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Does the ticking sound only occur at lower speeds and just whilst accelerating or decelerating? Does it vary with regen strength etc? Does the repetition rate of the tapping speed up as tge car speeds up?
Thankfully this noise only occurs with surface conditions and gentle cornering.

I can tell you of the three noises in my Soul
Certainly worth the capital S.
I admire your dedication to quiet (and wedges) - I'll explore those avenues - thanks.

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Is it a regular noise? The one thing I find un-nerving is the way small gravel stones ping around off the underside. Far noisier than any other car I’ve owned.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts