Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,922 Posts
View attachment 153103

I’ve always been super diligent in carrying out ‘checks’ and ‘maintaining’ my previous ICE cars often choosing to go way above and beyond specified OEM advice, hence I would like to think steering clear of any serious repairs and bills.

There is lots and lots of very good technical knowledge and detailed content on this forum (sometimes overwhelming as a recent/novice owner of an Ampera), I am still on a steep learning curve about what would constitute a good, diligent check and maintenance regime for my Ampera. Obviously I’d like to avoid any nightmare repairs problems before they might arise.

I wonder if I could simply ask the following question to create a maintenance regime, what are the TWO things you consider most important to keep an eye on and check/change each:

• week
  • month
  • year

Of course there may not be two things to say or there might be more! Thank you in advance for your input, and hopefully might help others starting out on their Ampera journey! 😊
Suck out and replace the contents of the engine expansion bottle every month or two, this will keep the coolant fresh and you don't need to replace it.

Unless the coolant in the motor/inverter looks anything less than transparent then leave those alone, but you can do the same with those, gradually replacing the coolant by replacing the contents of the tank. But for the HV battery drain and refil, disconnect the 12V battery and leave it for an hour before doing that replacement, else it may trigger a locked error (low coolant).

That being said, if you still have the low coolant level sensor, get it replaced with a fixed resistor on a well-made encapsulated connector.

The other thing to do is strip down your rear brakes every two years, minimum.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts