Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Vehicle Car Auto part Machine Automotive exterior

I’ve always been super diligent in carrying out ‘checks’ and ‘maintaining’ my previous ICE cars often choosing to go way above and beyond specified OEM advice, hence I would like to think steering clear of any serious repairs and bills.

There is lots and lots of very good technical knowledge and detailed content on this forum (sometimes overwhelming as a recent/novice owner of an Ampera), I am still on a steep learning curve about what would constitute a good, diligent check and maintenance regime for my Ampera. Obviously I’d like to avoid any nightmare repairs problems before they might arise.

I wonder if I could simply ask the following question to create a maintenance regime, what are the TWO things you consider most important to keep an eye on and check/change each:

• week
  • month
  • year

Of course there may not be two things to say or there might be more! Thank you in advance for your input, and hopefully might help others starting out on their Ampera journey! 😊

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for sharing your experience and advice. Me thinks I now have the bones of an Ampera specific maintenance regime! A few follow ups if I may…

@h8ten @Spiny - Coolant Levels, this is the one which has confused from the beginning, how many coolants are there to keep an eye on (is it three?), and what does each coolant keep cool just so I understand, and can I assume all coolants are located under bonnet?

@Spiny - Engine Oil - As I have chosen to always do with my ICE cars, I was planning to change oil every 12 months regardless, however given the Ampera set up, would you say this is perhaps too much overkill?

@farmergiles - 12v Battery - Noted, not sure when the battery was last changed as I have only owned my car a few weeks So may go ahead and change anyway if not detailed in service history. Is there any brand / spec of battery recommended for the Ampera and is this located in the boot?

Thank you again for all the other pointers! 👍

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are three coolant tanks. The manual I have on pages 145-146 has the details but basically looking into the engine bay from the front-
1 - Upper left of the engine bay is the Engine cooling system
2 - Front of the engine bay just behind the grille to the left is the High voltage battery cooling system (this may have an anti-tamper ring around the cap that needs to be removed to gain access)
3 - To the right of this one is the Power electronics and charger modules cooling system
If it works I have attached the PDF of the handbook that I have just in case your car didn't come with one.
Thank you! That is very helpful…. will start incorporating that into my maintenance regime. Thanks again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts