Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having driven the eGolf for a short while recently (don't ask) I was mightily impressed, it felt like a nippy Golf without the noise, was lovely. Having gazed longingly from afar at the Fiat 500e. Having been bewitched by my time driving the MINI E all those years ago. Having spent far too many hours of my life sprinting down country lanes and nipping across roundabouts I have to wonder...

Where's our hot hatch battery electric vehicle?

Surely this could/should/would be one of the key ice-breakers in terms of EV adoption. Get people in a small(ish) EV with good performance and decent range... but most importantly compact and quick, and I'm sure you'll win ever more hearts and minds.

Am I mad in thinking this is a market that could really, really benefit from BEVs? I mean they already claim them as city cars, the hot hatch is only one step beyond that surely?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I seem to remember some time ago, that Nissan were thinking about an open top, two seater version of the Leaf? I think there was a concept Nismo branded car at some stage? Just imagine how fabulous a 'Roadster' style Leaf with a 50kWh battery would be....?

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Having driven the eGolf for a short while recently (don't ask) I was mightily impressed, it felt like a nippy Golf without the noise, was lovely. Having gazed longingly from afar at the Fiat 500e. Having been bewitched by my time driving the MINI E all those years ago. Having spent far too many hours of my life sprinting down country lanes and nipping across roundabouts I have to wonder...

Where's our hot hatch battery electric vehicle?

Surely this could/should/would be one of the key ice-breakers in terms of EV adoption. Get people in a small(ish) EV with good performance and decent range... but most importantly compact and quick, and I'm sure you'll win ever more hearts and minds.

Am I mad in thinking this is a market that could really, really benefit from BEVs? I mean they already claim them as city cars, the hot hatch is only one step beyond that surely?
I was thinking this over the weekend. The original golf gti completely 're wrote the small sports car market and it wasn't untill the mx5 that we had a sports car that could compete with the hot hatch's. I hope when vw release the golf gte that bmw then release a "m" version of the i3. N

·
Registered
2,908 Posts
Don't count on it; it's a City car. It has hot hatch 0-60 already. The limitations for hot status will be the height (CoG) and skinny tyres.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The i3 underpinnings could work surely, even the LEAF. I don't know why someone wont take that risk if it's a repackaging case. The GTE and others like it are a good thing, I imagine that's going to be a beast, but for those unconvinced by electric drive it could possibly re-enforce that battery alone just isn't good enough... and surely it is, if someone is bold enough.

·
Super Moderator
6,254 Posts
Don't count on it; it's a City car. It has hot hatch 0-60 already. The limitations for hot status will be the height (CoG) and skinny tyres.
My dream M sport would have been lowered it would have fat tyres and the 1100 cc engine out of their motor bike. Then add a much bigger fuel tank and you would probably end up with only a 40 mile electric range but a larger petrol one on a car capable of 0-60 in sub 6 seconds. Sounds like a winner for the average man in his ice to me.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
i only ever saw the golf as a hot hatch. but it was not very quick most hot hatch can't get sub seven, like the Honda civic typeR 200bhp 7.1 0-62, Renault clio 172/182/ 7.1sec the Renault clio 197. 7sec dead. but my evo4 (4.6) sec 0-62 474bhp oh how i miss that car but not the fuel bill lol

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's never going to appeal to the "hot hatch" mob looking like that methinks. :)

Would fit on a scifi set though, and why not, who says cars have to be "car shaped", we should get over that. As long as they fit on the road and parking spaces I wish folk would be a bit more bold in their tastes. This is one thing I always loved Renault for, they made some pig-ugly freakish cars, but I'm glad someone was bold enough to do it. :D

·
Registered
6,865 Posts
i only ever saw the golf as a hot hatch. but it was not very quick most hot hatch can't get sub seven, like the Honda civic typeR 200bhp 7.1 0-62, Renault clio 172/182/ 7.1sec the Renault clio 197. 7sec dead. but my evo4 (4.6) sec 0-62 474bhp oh how i miss that car but not the fuel bill lol
That was then, nowadays your looking at things like Audi RS3, Megane 275, Merc A45, BMW 1M. All good for sub 5 seconds to 60. (Auto car clocked the Merc at 4.2seconds to 60!)

Even Honda are ditching N/A engines to keep up with the power war that is the current hot hatch sector. The old Type-R, Clio etc. would be considered warm hatches now.

The P85 is the only EV that comes close on performance, but only in terms of 0-60. Around a track it would be left for dust.

Of course on public roads it's all a bit meaningless, as they are all too fast to use sensibly apart from maybe the odd traffic light grand prix. Great for pub talk top trumps though ;)

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Is it more fun in a Merc A45 or a Pug 205 though ? ;)
Anything that goes up and down quick and corners well will do it.

It's where I learned to love driving "quick", but not "fast". Top speed is what I see as silly stuff, up and down and round corners is what gives me grins. :)

Nothing beats a track day though, it's been a looong while since I went on one of those.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.