Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

Administrator
Discussion Starter #1
Having driven the eGolf for a short while recently (don't ask) I was mightily impressed, it felt like a nippy Golf without the noise, was lovely. Having gazed longingly from afar at the Fiat 500e. Having been bewitched by my time driving the MINI E all those years ago. Having spent far too many hours of my life sprinting down country lanes and nipping across roundabouts I have to wonder...

Where's our hot hatch battery electric vehicle?

Surely this could/should/would be one of the key ice-breakers in terms of EV adoption. Get people in a small(ish) EV with good performance and decent range... but most importantly compact and quick, and I'm sure you'll win ever more hearts and minds.

Am I mad in thinking this is a market that could really, really benefit from BEVs? I mean they already claim them as city cars, the hot hatch is only one step beyond that surely?

Super Moderator
01DA8C48360FD5BABD1AC243995F.jpg

...?

Not sure if it's actually for sale, though.

Registered
I seem to remember some time ago, that Nissan were thinking about an open top, two seater version of the Leaf? I think there was a concept Nismo branded car at some stage? Just imagine how fabulous a 'Roadster' style Leaf with a 50kWh battery would be....?

Super Moderator
Having driven the eGolf for a short while recently (don't ask) I was mightily impressed, it felt like a nippy Golf without the noise, was lovely. Having gazed longingly from afar at the Fiat 500e. Having been bewitched by my time driving the MINI E all those years ago. Having spent far too many hours of my life sprinting down country lanes and nipping across roundabouts I have to wonder...

Where's our hot hatch battery electric vehicle?

Surely this could/should/would be one of the key ice-breakers in terms of EV adoption. Get people in a small(ish) EV with good performance and decent range... but most importantly compact and quick, and I'm sure you'll win ever more hearts and minds.

Am I mad in thinking this is a market that could really, really benefit from BEVs? I mean they already claim them as city cars, the hot hatch is only one step beyond that surely?
I was thinking this over the weekend. The original golf gti completely 're wrote the small sports car market and it wasn't untill the mx5 that we had a sports car that could compete with the hot hatch's. I hope when vw release the golf gte that bmw then release a "m" version of the i3. N

Registered
Don't count on it; it's a City car. It has hot hatch 0-60 already. The limitations for hot status will be the height (CoG) and skinny tyres.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #6
The i3 underpinnings could work surely, even the LEAF. I don't know why someone wont take that risk if it's a repackaging case. The GTE and others like it are a good thing, I imagine that's going to be a beast, but for those unconvinced by electric drive it could possibly re-enforce that battery alone just isn't good enough... and surely it is, if someone is bold enough.

Super Moderator
Don't count on it; it's a City car. It has hot hatch 0-60 already. The limitations for hot status will be the height (CoG) and skinny tyres.
My dream M sport would have been lowered it would have fat tyres and the 1100 cc engine out of their motor bike. Then add a much bigger fuel tank and you would probably end up with only a 40 mile electric range but a larger petrol one on a car capable of 0-60 in sub 6 seconds. Sounds like a winner for the average man in his ice to me.

Premium Member
I haven't driven one but my understanding is the i3 is hot hatch quick, isn't ?

Administrator
Discussion Starter #9
Close in terms of 0-60, but not really quite there, it also doesn't have any of the traditional/accepted "hot hatch" appearance or style traits really.

Administrator
Discussion Starter #11
0-62 has to be sub seven these days I reckon to be a "true" hot hatch.

That also does rather look like a small family hatch back with a weird paint job imho. ;) Like the look of the wheels mind you.

Registered
i only ever saw the golf as a hot hatch. but it was not very quick most hot hatch can't get sub seven, like the Honda civic typeR 200bhp 7.1 0-62, Renault clio 172/182/ 7.1sec the Renault clio 197. 7sec dead. but my evo4 (4.6) sec 0-62 474bhp oh how i miss that car but not the fuel bill lol

Registered
I wish Mitsubishi had built this...
mitsubishi-i-miev-prototype-and-i-miev-air-sport-concept_2.jpg

Administrator
Discussion Starter #16
That's never going to appeal to the "hot hatch" mob looking like that methinks. :)

Would fit on a scifi set though, and why not, who says cars have to be "car shaped", we should get over that. As long as they fit on the road and parking spaces I wish folk would be a bit more bold in their tastes. This is one thing I always loved Renault for, they made some pig-ugly freakish cars, but I'm glad someone was bold enough to do it. :D

Registered
i only ever saw the golf as a hot hatch. but it was not very quick most hot hatch can't get sub seven, like the Honda civic typeR 200bhp 7.1 0-62, Renault clio 172/182/ 7.1sec the Renault clio 197. 7sec dead. but my evo4 (4.6) sec 0-62 474bhp oh how i miss that car but not the fuel bill lol
That was then, nowadays your looking at things like Audi RS3, Megane 275, Merc A45, BMW 1M. All good for sub 5 seconds to 60. (Auto car clocked the Merc at 4.2seconds to 60!)

Even Honda are ditching N/A engines to keep up with the power war that is the current hot hatch sector. The old Type-R, Clio etc. would be considered warm hatches now.

The P85 is the only EV that comes close on performance, but only in terms of 0-60. Around a track it would be left for dust.

Of course on public roads it's all a bit meaningless, as they are all too fast to use sensibly apart from maybe the odd traffic light grand prix. Great for pub talk top trumps though ;)

Administrator
Discussion Starter #20
Is it more fun in a Merc A45 or a Pug 205 though ? ;)
Anything that goes up and down quick and corners well will do it.

It's where I learned to love driving "quick", but not "fast". Top speed is what I see as silly stuff, up and down and round corners is what gives me grins. :)

Nothing beats a track day though, it's been a looong while since I went on one of those.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts