Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a 39k car I was expecting automatic wipers and a self-dimming rear view mirror - both things that were on tge renral Fiesta titanium I've had for the last few weeks.

I'm very happy with the car as a whole, just a little dissapointed.

Mark

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I totally agree Mark. It seems to be similar to the Leaf. In the USA the Leaf came with self-dimming rear view mirrir... in the UK it is manual and it seems that this is the case too with the Ampera.

So I wasn't too surprised about the mirrir but I certain am surprised about the wipers.

Having said that I actually prefer manual wipers and mirrir so for me it isn't a problem but I am sure a lot of people will be disappointed with that.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
I could write a long list of things that were on my previous car that the Ampera doesn't have... Despite, this I decided that the compromise was worth it. So far the only thing that I've really missed are electrical folding wing mirrors as I often use on-street parking.

Incidentally, the manual says there is a warning triangle and first aid kit in the boot. Mine didn't come with these - I assume I'm not alone? My old warning triangle doesn't fit the slot so I guess I'll have to buy the 'Ampera' version!

Regards

Paul R

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
No triangle here either but there is a slot for it. I already had one so I have simply slotted that into the space.

I too will miss the folding mirrors. I had them on the Freelander and they are on the Leaf.

Like you though... these missing items for me are insignificant when considering the car as a whole. I did get it for folding mirrors etc and although it would be nice to have them none of these items are important. What is important is the Voltec Drive system.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Drove the Ampera in the rain for the first time today - it was only when I went to turn it on that I realised there's no tailgate wiper either! :lol:
Also, since there's no automatic wipers, what's the large slab of black plastic at the top of the wind teen contain? That's where I'd expect the rain sensor to be.

·
Premium Member
11,068 Posts
I suspect that the lack of a rear wiper is to improve aerodynamics rather than penny (or do I mean dime) pinching. I've had (and prefer) saloons for the past 10 years so don't miss one!

Re the black box on the top of the windscreen, as it has an aerial running across the windscreen perhaps it is the TMC and/or DAB? The Volt I drove in the US didn't have it so it must be something to do with EU spec cars.

I see that the 2013 US Volt is getting a few new features (including our 'Hold' mode) so I guess Vauxhall will have a higher spec in 2013 too. See http://www.egmcartech.com/2012/04/23/re ... f-changes/

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
19 Posts
The rear view mirror in the Volt IS an automatic dimming one.

Are you sure the Ampera's is not?

There were some posts about the Volt one not working well, and the solution was to lower it or turn it upside down to get the little sensor spot where headlights from behind can hit it better.

·
Registered
145 Posts
According to the Vauxhall handbook the rear view mirror has automatic dimming and a manual lever. Does it have both :?:
Is there a lever on the Volt as well as a sensor:?:
I cannot see a sensor in the top of the mirror on my Ampera:?

·
Registered
86 Posts
The auto dimming mirror requires an electrical connection for the sensors and to the headlamps I think for the various dimming levels, as well as the glare from a following car, on my mirror you can see it is just stuck to the windscreen with no plastic square trunking to connect to the big square sensor block for the auto lights etc, the auto dimming mirror has a sensor both back and front.
Gary

1 - 11 of 11 Posts