Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If you're looking for a 30kW Leaf and you spot the listing below, forewarned is forearmed and all that. Perhaps it's the car for you, but it's really not as it appears in the advert.

Bit of an epic day yesterday. Having made arrangements in the previous days with the seller, invested in £180 worth of train tickets and made the trip from us near Oakham in Rutland down to Yate near Bristol to see the car in the link below.

Price had been agreed on the phone on the basis of the description and replies to questions asked.

The description really doesn't do the car justice. It's certainly "stunning", but not in the way you'd like.
Asked on the phone about damage. Was told "none". Asked about service history. Was told "Full - Always serviced by the dealer who's next door to us".

Explained to the seller the distance I was travelling hence all the questions and my wanting to be fully armed with all the information I needed. I went to pay the price we'd agreed on the phone and collect the car that had been described to me and get home ASAP, not to haggle.

- Arrived to find a very large dent, about 8 inches in size in the rear quarter panel right through the swage line with paint damage on the edge nearest the top of the rear bumper. Rear bumper has taken the hit too with with paint damage and a crack on the same area on the side.

- Rather than full service history, just 1 receipt for a service since 2016. No owner's manuals or service book. Owner confirms that's the only service they've had done in the 3 years they've had it.

- 1 bar missing from the range.

- What looks like a key scratch through the paint all the way along the passenger side wing. Might machine polish out, but I can get my thumb nail in it, so perhaps not.

- Clunk to the bottom of the front bumper

- Parcel shelf missing.

- This was in addition to what could just about be classed as normal wear and tear to the top of the back bumper, a few trolly dents to the side panels some with paint damage.

- It's also covered in globs of what looks like really sticky, hardened bird muck of possibly tree sap.

Given the lack of service history, hasn't been well maintained which has to raise concerns over battery health etc.

Because of the distance I'd travelled and the cost therein I found myself trying to negotiate for a car I wasn't sure I wanted. Got to £8,500 at which point I noticed the dent on the front bumper, told the seller I didn't want it, thanked him for wasting my time and money and left, not before the seller accused me of "obviously being some kind of car dealer" presumably on the basis of my complaint about the poor way the car had been described to me and my knowledge of repair and replacement costs and my belief it's not worth anything like the value they're asking for.

Just be warned, the seller clearly doesn't see the need for anything like full disclosure or the cost or inconvenience to those viewing. Not even an apology offered. A real case of "buyer, beware".

Thankfully there was another 30kW Tekna for sale an hour and half further South in Wincanton. A £69 Uber later and a very different experience with the seller, and I was on my way home to Rutland with an almost immaculate 30k mile, 66 plate, black 6.6kW car with full history, 12 bars, all the keys, books and even a detachable tow hook for carrying a bike rack for just over £9k.....The car I should have gone to buy in the first place, but Mrs i3S whose car this will be for a while was insistent she preferred the grey 🙄

Made it back just before 11PM. Just one minor charging almost-disaster on the way - Stopped at Weyhill Services on the A303 to use the Genie rapid. Website and App not working, but they did take £20 off me which I'm now trying to get back. Called them. They said their whole network was down. So why no free vend??? Won't be planning their chargers into routes again.

Used the rapids instead at the Marston pub in Andover just off the 303 and again at the Marston pub off the A43 in Brackley. Really nice environment to charge. Not the cheapest, but I was very tempted to go in and have a meal whilst I waited.

Owned EVs for 6 years now. Never had a Leaf before and never driven one any distance. Actually quite impressed with the car. Should suit us fine whilst we decide what to replace the recently rejected broken e-Niro with.

Haven't had such a short range in an EV on a long journey since the first i3 Rex we had years ago. Really impressed with just how improved the UK's network of rapid chargers has become since with an array of 50kW chargers along my 200 odd mile route home.

Just make sure if you go after the one below that you ask many, many questions before making the journey, but be aware the replies may not necessarily be entirely accurate.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
When I was selling a car recently I was asked to provide some very specific photos, both sides, front and rear, all four wheels and the four quarter views. Bit of a faff, but having seen the Autotrader ad above I can now understand why. The photos in the ad seem to have been carefully framed to not show the sides of the car. This might just be accidental, but then again it might be to ensure that damage isn't visible.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,823 Posts
If you're looking for a 30kW Leaf and you spot the listing below, forewarned is forearmed and all that. Perhaps it's the car for you, but it's really not as it appears in the advert.

Bit of an epic day yesterday. Having made arrangements in the previous days with the seller, invested in £180 worth of train tickets and made the trip from us near Oakham in Rutland down to Yate near Bristol to see the car in the link below.

Price had been agreed on the phone on the basis of the description and replies to questions asked.

The description really doesn't do the car justice. It's certainly "stunning", but not in the way you'd like.
Asked on the phone about damage. Was told "none". Asked about service history. Was told "Full - Always serviced by the dealer who's next door to us".

Explained to the seller the distance I was travelling hence all the questions and my wanting to be fully armed with all the information I needed. I went to pay the price we'd agreed on the phone and collect the car that had been described to me and get home ASAP, not to haggle.

- Arrived to find a very large dent, about 8 inches in size in the rear quarter panel right through the swage line with paint damage on the edge nearest the top of the rear bumper. Rear bumper has taken the hit too with with paint damage and a crack on the same area on the side.

- Rather than full service history, just 1 receipt for a service since 2016. No owner's manuals or service book. Owner confirms that's the only service they've had done in the 3 years they've had it.

- 1 bar missing from the range.

- What looks like a key scratch through the paint all the way along the passenger side wing. Might machine polish out, but I can get my thumb nail in it, so perhaps not.

- Clunk to the bottom of the front bumper

- Parcel shelf missing.

- This was in addition to what could just about be classed as normal wear and tear to the top of the back bumper, a few trolly dents to the side panels some with paint damage.

- It's also covered in globs of what looks like really sticky, hardened bird muck of possibly tree sap.

Given the lack of service history, hasn't been well maintained which has to raise concerns over battery health etc.

Because of the distance I'd travelled and the cost therein I found myself trying to negotiate for a car I wasn't sure I wanted. Got to £8,500 at which point I noticed the dent on the front bumper, told the seller I didn't want it, thanked him for wasting my time and money and left, not before the seller accused me of "obviously being some kind of car dealer" presumably on the basis of my complaint about the poor way the car had been described to me and my knowledge of repair and replacement costs and my belief it's not worth anything like the value they're asking for.

Just be warned, the seller clearly doesn't see the need for anything like full disclosure or the cost or inconvenience to those viewing. Not even an apology offered. A real case of "buyer, beware".

Thankfully there was another 30kW Tekna for sale an hour and half further South in Wincanton. A £69 Uber later and a very different experience with the seller, and I was on my way home to Rutland with an almost immaculate 30k mile, 66 plate, black 6.6kW car with full history, 12 bars, all the keys, books and even a detachable tow hook for carrying a bike rack for just over £9k.....The car I should have gone to buy in the first place, but Mrs i3S whose car this will be for a while was insistent she preferred the grey 🙄

Made it back just before 11PM. Just one minor charging almost-disaster on the way - Stopped at Weyhill Services on the A303 to use the Genie rapid. Website and App not working, but they did take £20 off me which I'm now trying to get back. Called them. They said their whole network was down. So why no free vend??? Won't be planning their chargers into routes again.

Used the rapids instead at the Marston pub in Andover just off the 303 and again at the Marston pub off the A43 in Brackley. Really nice environment to charge. Not the cheapest, but I was very tempted to go in and have a meal whilst I waited.

Owned EVs for 6 years now. Never had a Leaf before and never driven one any distance. Actually quite impressed with the car. Should suit us fine whilst we decide what to replace the recently rejected broken e-Niro with.

Haven't had such a short range in an EV on a long journey since the first i3 Rex we had years ago. Really impressed with just how improved the UK's network of rapid chargers has become since with an array of 50kW chargers along my 200 odd mile route home.

Just make sure if you go after the one below that you ask many, many questions before making the journey, but be aware the replies may not necessarily be entirely accurate.

Sue him for your train tickets.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I think i would have been extremely pissed off to have travelled that far and the car not as described !!
Especially the lack of full history that the description implies , the picture from the front is very low res !
I guess from the lack of photos you should have asked for some hi res pictures from all sides & picture of service book.
Don't take peoples word on condition, perhaps he has sight issues !!

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
Following the above comment, I've just had another look and the two external photos seem to have been doctored. All the interior photos are pretty sharp, with a reasonably good resolution, but the two exterior photos have been taken from angles that look as if they've been engineered to hide any damage, plus the resolution has been reduced to the point where any damage won't show. This looks deliberate, to me, as I can't see a reasonable explanation for the external shots being massively poorer resolution than the internal shots unless they have been doctored.

·
Registered
GOLF GTE PHEV
3,828 Posts
Look on the brightside. The OP ended up with a better Leaf which he may have missed if the AT seller had been honest.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i would have been extremely pissed off to have travelled that far and the car not as described !!
Especially the lack of full history that the description implies , the picture from the front is very low res !
I guess from the lack of photos you should have asked for some hi res pictures from all sides & picture of service book.
Don't take peoples word on condition, perhaps he has sight issues !!
Possibly, but pictures can be messed with. Photos or not, one doesn’t stand a chance if the seller gives what being generous, are not entirely accurate replies.

The one question I forgot to ask was about the number of bars left on the gauge.

When I realised it was only reaching 11, his response was “well it does show that in the photo”. What the photo actually shows is 11 bars and 2.5 hours remaining to 100%.
That actually gave a really clear indication of the kind of person he is.

Lucky for him I’m not a “dealer” as he suggested. I imagine mucking around some motor traders like this might have led to him learning a few lessons about life.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Look on the brightside. The OP ended up with a better Leaf which he may have missed if the AT seller had been honest.
Or, if the seller had been honest on the phone, I wouldn’t have wasted my time going, would’ve gone direct to Wincanton, saved £100 in additional travel and been home at 4pm for my 2 year old daughter’s nursery open-day, not 11pm, long after her bedtime.

On the other hand, the wife now owes me one. Had she not insisted she wanted grey not black….. 😂

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's true that eleven bars show in the photograph(s), but unless you are intimately familiar with the display you wouldn't know how many red bars there are (flare in the image) and, therefore, how many in total. Glad you got sorted in the end.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Or, if the seller had been honest on the phone, I wouldn’t have wasted my time going, would’ve gone direct to Wincanton, saved £100 in additional travel and been home at 4pm for my 2 year old daughter’s nursery open-day, not 11pm, long after her bedtime.

On the other hand, the wife now owes me one. Had she not insisted she wanted grey not black….. 😂
My Mrs was the other way around she wanted black, and you can guess who has to clean it :-(

I suppose buying is a bit like rapid charging , always have a plan B !!

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
765 Posts
Amazing how someone can advertise with just 7 photos, 2 of which are the same! You probably should have asked for photos, but its certainly not unreasonable to take someone's word on there being no damage. A seller has nothing to gain from lying just to get you there.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
If there is a lesson to be learned from this, it is that much better photos, from several different angles, are needed in any advert. If sellers don't provide adequate photos, then the obvious initial question to be asked is "Why not?". Given that more people are making decisions based on online adverts, even if those decisions are only to travel some distance to view a car, if there aren't adequate photos then that's probably a good indicator that a prospective buyer should just walk away. Makes me understand why I was asked to take so many specific photos of my Model 3 when I sold it.

·
Registered
NISSAN LEAF 62Kwh
2,081 Posts
Firstly congratulations on getting the LEAF, Perhaps fate has played it's part and you have got a great car.

Secondly thanks for making this excellent post, it really brings it home the doggy dealings that go on, for some reason I always think that anybody selling an EV are all like us on here, beyond reproach. Big bump down to earth, its not the case - CAVEAT EMPTOR (Buyer Beware).

In future if I ever check out a vehicle long distance, then I will ask for a video which should be very easy for any genuine seller to do with a smart phone. If not then leave alone.

It will be hard to hide damage on a video especially when you can zoom in.

·
Registered
6,449 Posts
In future if I ever check out a vehicle long distance, then I will ask for a video which should be very easy for any genuine seller to do with a smart phone. If not then leave alone.

It will be hard to hide damage on a video especially when you can zoom in.

I've noticed that some car dealers are offering just this, a walk around video. One dealer I looked at was offering virtual showroom viewings, where you could call them and they would walk around the car showing you any bit of it you wanted to see in close up. Seems a better option in some respects that travelling miles to have a look at a car.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts
The car I should have gone to buy in the first place, but Mrs i3S whose car this will be for a while was insistent she preferred the grey 🙄
🤣😂🤣

OMG this is so similar to the “conversation” I had with my wife when she insisted she wanted her Zoe in black it’s scary!

She really loves her white Zoe now, I feel your pain!

What type of car do you fancy darling? “A black one with parking sensors and a reversing camera” 😉

1 - 20 of 21 Posts