Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

Northern Ireland-based BMW i3 BEV owner here. Been lurking around the forums for a couple of months and finally got round to joining. I have gleaned a lot of helpful tips and insights from these forums and I hope to return the favour to others. You can find me on Twitter (@Plugincarguy) where I post about my experiences (good and bad - I have resolved to be brutally honest) as a first-time EV driver and things I learn along the way.

Thanks again to those who run the forums and to the many contributors whose helpful posts inspired me to join. My i3 visits Titanic Belfast.jpg

·
1,550 Posts
It's interesting to see your challenges in charging through your twitter feed and glad to have you with us.

I read something from another post about the i3 being derated to 5.5kW AC charging... Is that a worldwide problem or just the US? BMW had done something similar with the Active E in its last few months and I wondered why the problem followed through to the i3 (they had enough time to study and figure it on the Active E, I assumed.)

·
Premium Member
9,719 Posts
The i3 derate is worldwide - its in the august software updates. Either a software or hardware fix is expected by the end of the year hopefully.

It doesn't necessarily mean you won't be able to charge at 7kw, its temperature dependant - they adjusted the temperature modelling to be more conservative, and therefore reduce the risk of damage.

I think its more obvious for US owners, as its warmer than the UK.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
Agree with @Dennis - well done on the Twitter stuff. I chipped in too. If we keep quiet nothing will change...and I'm sorry, but I don't buy the 'let's be nice to everyone' so they don't think EV drivers are bolshy' argument.

The majority of people that park in EV, Disabled and Parent/Child spaces don't care about other people so why should we care about their opinions? What they gonna say to others? "So, I was parked in this electric vehicle bay and some bloke had a go at me for it....he was out of order!" I have kids seats in my car and a disabled wife with blue badge; I wouldn't dream of parking in one of those spaces if they weren't with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts