Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the best things to do with a Tesla is to take it for LONG drives. I know many people who do just that, and I was inspired to take my first cross-country EV drive a year ago.

Many may remember my thread from a year ago, I know of Model S drivers with over 100,000 miles, and one at 180,000+ miles and counting.

But, yesterday, I stumbled upon the start of a Model S coast to coast drive that I find inspiring.

There's a team that is driving from Perth to Brisbane and back... in Australia. A country with less than 800 miles of supercharging. This is really awesome.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
We have an office in Sydney. As part of our induction process a couple of the guys were over in the UK, and I took them for a spin in the Tesla. It was very interesting getting their insight.

The Model S is not a completely unusual sight around the posh suburbs, but it is a vast country with huge areas of wilderness, and lack of charging is still a big challenge in the public mindset.

This really will be a fascinating trip, and only when you have taken an internal flight across Oz (with the constant passing of monotonous red desert for hours on end) can you appreciate the enormity of this challenge.

Good luck to them I say, but it is going to be tough.

·
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Australia is a country whose land mass is almost as large as the continental US with less states and people. This drive is fascinating to track.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
The thing that map doesn't really show is how much of the population is skewed to major coastal conurbations, and the central parts are so remote.

There are less than 175,000 people living in the entire dark blue section of this map!:

To look at the enormity of the challenge, go to Google Earth (where amazingly they have sent the Google Van along the Australian A!) and look at the street view images of the sections around "Border Village" Google Maps.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Canada is similar, by the way, but colder and with more mountains :) 90% of the population live within an hours drive of the US/CAN border.

How are they going to recharge? Maybe I should read the blog...

Reactions: Simon Mac

·
schlussel
458 Posts
There are less than 175,000 people living in the entire dark blue section of this map!:
Such a shame the same can't be said of the States :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts