Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Journeyman Human
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Peoples EV anyone?

Just in case no one has seen this yet...

Now I know it won't have any bells or whistles, but it shows just how overpriced other EV's really are at present.

I think we'll see a Dacia badged version of this here soon, homologated to meet UK safety minimums with a price tag starting at about £12k. Everyone will be screaming about how amazingly cheap it is. lol!

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,009 Posts
Peoples EV anyone?

Just in case no one has seen this yet...

Now I know it won't have any bells or whistles, but it shows just how overpriced other EV's really are at present.

I think we'll see a Dacia badged version of this here soon, homologated to meet UK safety minimums with a price tag starting at about £12k. Everyone will be screaming about how amazingly cheap it is. lol!
"but it shows just how overpriced other EV's really are"

No it doesn't. What it shows is that a) if you build a car to a lower homologation standard you can cut the cost, b) as technology evolves, you can cut the cost.

EVs today carry technology that has been slowly ramping up in production efficiencies, and at EU homologation standards. EVs that are coming now, and in the future, will gain the benefit of the improving production efficiencies those cars laid down, which are not 'overpriced' but simply the leading front of a wave of a new technology, which are always more expensive whatever the product.

On your latter point, the CZK:GBP exchange rate has generally been around 35, excepting for the impact of Brexit. So that would make the Citigo iV £12k.

The Zoe i-22kWh ended its short run in 2015 with offers around £12k too, if you were sharp and pushed quickly on those deals.

£12k EVs are already here.

·
Journeyman Human
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"but it shows just how overpriced other EV's really are"

No it doesn't. What it shows is that a) if you build a car to a lower homologation standard you can cut the cost, b) as technology evolves, you can cut the cost.

EVs today carry technology that has been slowly ramping up in production efficiencies, and at EU homologation standards. EVs that are coming now, and in the future, will gain the benefit of the improving production efficiencies those cars laid down, which are not 'overpriced' but simply the leading front of a wave of a new technology, which are always more expensive whatever the product.

On your latter point, the CZK:GBP exchange rate has generally been around 35, excepting for the impact of Brexit. So that would make the Citigo iV £12k.

The Zoe i-22kWh ended its short run in 2015 with offers around £12k too, if you were sharp and pushed quickly on those deals.

£12k EVs are already here.
Were the £12k Zoe deals battery included out of interest?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,009 Posts
Yes. There was a week or two where 22-i was available through Carwow, on finance.

I actually got a quote and asked my local dealer to match, because I did not want to deal with someone 200 miles away, and they declined to compete. I sort of lost interest. I still had the Ampera at the time.

For reasons unknown, it was £15k outright purchase, but there was some bamboozling credit offer of an additional £3k. The 40kWh was also only £16k just over a year ago, I did a test drive and was tempted but just didn't like it very much.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I question if there is much market for it in the UK, as 3 year old ICE are so cheap. In countries with a growing demand for cars there is much less competitions from 2nd hand cars.

Transditional low millage drivers in the UK don't buy low spec new cars.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Only available in India and China though, not Europe. The lower safety standards there mean the car can be overall a lot cheaper. The ICE version is only $4000 according to that article.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
5 Participants
foureyes
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing