Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So you pull into a service station with two Ecotricity pumps, both are the new dual types, both have Chademo and each has an single AC on one and a Frankenplug CCS on the other.

Which does the leaf driver use in order to increase the odds the next car in can charge ?

·
Registered
1,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok let me rephrase

your a good leaf driver, you pull up and want to charge your leaf, you can choose either pump as both have Chademo

You also want to ensure the next non leaf to arrive has max chance of getting on the ohter pump, so do you use the one with CCS or the one with type 2 AC.

in short are there more type 2 uses or CCS users

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
I'd go for the CCS one, I believe there's more Zoes and Telsa S's out there than i3's, and the majority of i3's have rex's in any case.

The type2 AC can also be used by anyone who does the cheeky cable mod!

·
Banned
1,128 Posts
Outrageous!

The answer is clearly to occupy the one with the AC lead. We keep getting told that rapid chargers are for rapid charging, and given CCS is more powerful than even 43kW AC, in order to maximise the power throughput a Leaf should block the AC rather than the CCS.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think this is a bit moot - from what I read, although the DC/CCS chargers have been installed, I've yet to hear of one that's actually working (Cobham gives an error, Beaconsfield doesn't even have any power...)

However, in reality I'd prbably just go to which ever is the first in line! At Beaconsfield I deliberately chose the CCS one, but only because I'd heard of the issues at the Cobham charger and wanted to make sure it wasn't a general problem. Obviously I then had to move to the DC\AC, which then refused to accept my cards... (It eventually did, thankfully).

·
Super Moderator
7,453 Posts
Outrageous!

The answer is clearly to occupy the one with the AC lead. We keep getting told that rapid chargers are for rapid charging, and given CCS is more powerful than even 43kW AC, in order to maximise the power throughput a Leaf should block the AC rather than the CCS.
Raises a point I wanted to ask about, has anyone EVER seen greater than 105 amps at an ecotricity/DBT rapid? I have seen up to 125A on an everflash unit, but never more than 105 on the DBT units.

·
Registered
449 Posts
So you pull into a service station with two Ecotricity pumps, both are the new dual types, both have Chademo and each has an single AC on one and a Frankenplug CCS on the other.

Which does the leaf driver use in order to increase the odds the next car in can charge ?
I'd connect to either, i'm not going to be away from the car for more than 20min and if I was on the other end of the stick I'd accept that chargers could very well be in use when I arrive and a wait possible.
Being considerate is not setting a 100% charge and disappearing for 2 hours around ikea with no contact number in your windscreen...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I have done over 350 rapid charges now and most of those were on Ecotricity DBT chargers and I have never seen anything over 106A and 395V... that is 41.8kW

Which would I charge at given the choice? The one that is not ICEd :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I'd connect to either, i'm not going to be away from the car for more than 20min and if I was on the other end of the stick I'd accept that chargers could very well be in use when I arrive and a wait possible.
Being considerate is not setting a 100% charge and disappearing for 2 hours around ikea with no contact number in your windscreen...
Agreed. Both these units working together should be able to charge 6 Leafs in an hour :) But seriously I am never away from my car for more than 20 mins when it's rapid charging and i put a little card thing up to say when i will be back

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I've not checked the CCS units up close but thought they were triple head in any case ccs/dc/ac - at least the DBT ones, so I'd use the one without ccs to provide most flexibility....

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I've not checked the CCS units up close but thought they were triple head in any case ccs/dc/ac - at least the DBT ones, so I'd use the one without ccs to provide most flexibility....
No, many of the new ones are just CCS/CHAdeMO only (no AC).

1 - 20 of 25 Posts