Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning all,

2 things:

Has anyone found an online/pdf manual for the latest version of the Kona E? I have searched on here, and only older manuals seem to be posted. The dealer says there isn’t one, which seems a bit odd….

Can anyone recommend a good home charger? There seem to be loads out there, and googling “best etc” gives wildly differing answers. At the moment I am toying with the small, untethered Sync EV or the larger tethered Pod-Point (as recommended by Hyundai, it seems). Any thoughts & advice would be welcome!

Thanks all!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi there, and congratulations on choosing the Kona. You are going to love it.
I have a tethered Pod Point charger as it was supplied for free by Hyundai when I bought my first EV, the 28kWh Ioniq. Never had any problems with Pod Point customer service myself. Installation was staight forward, just emailed them lots of photos of where the meter was and where I wanted the charger mounted. :)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for this?
Hi there, and congratulations on choosing the Kona. You are going to love it.
I have a tethered Pod Point charger as it was supplied for free by Hyundai when I bought my first EV, the 28kWh Ioniq. Never had any problems with Pod Point customer service myself. Installation was staight forward, just emailed them lots of photos of where the meter was and where I wanted the charger mounted. :)
Thanks for this. Much appreciated. Our neighbour had a Pod-Point fitted recently: I’ll have to ask him how it’s getting on.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Any thoughts on Wallbox and/or Hypervolt?
I believe those ones have internal Raspberry Pi components which are not ruggedised for external use. The Wallbox was featured in the recent BBC Click programme about EV charger hacking.

The tethered/untethered decision really comes down to the convenience of plugging in, and the aesthetics of having a coil of thick black cable on the front of your house.

If you have or thinking about solar panels, the Zappi is the favourite. The EO Mini Pro 2 also liked.

If you're rich, an Andersen, if you're not, a QUBEV

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Has anyone found an online/pdf manual for the latest version of the Kona E? I have searched on here, and only older manuals seem to be posted. The dealer says there isn’t one, which seems a bit odd….
Odd but seems to be true.

Here's the list of all Owner's handbooks currently available to download from Hyundai UK:

At time of writing the Kona EV manual was last updated August 2020. The link is live though, so if they ever do update the manual it should be visible there.

Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I believe those ones have internal Raspberry Pi components which are not ruggedised for external use. The Wallbox was featured in the recent BBC Click programme about EV charger hacking.

The tethered/untethered decision really comes down to the convenience of plugging in, and the aesthetics of having a coil of thick black cable on the front of your house.

If you have or thinking about solar panels, the Zappi is the favourite. The EO Mini Pro 2 also liked.

Thanks for getting back to me. Much appreciated

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Odd but seems to be true.

Here's the list of all Owner's handbooks currently available to download from Hyundai UK:

At time of writing the Kona EV manual was last updated August 2020. The link is live though, so if they ever do update the manual it should be visible there.
Thanks for taking the time to research this. Much appreciated.

At the moment, on an iPhone, I just get a text list of things. I’ll have a better look tomorrow.

Cheers

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
99 Posts
I have the Sync EV charger. I ended up going for it cause it was the best value untethered while still having good reviews at the time. Mine hasn’t been installed yet (waiting on unlooping so got a couple of weeks wait) but I’ll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
Reactions: CJKonaE

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have the Sync EV charger. I ended up going for it cause it was the best value untethered while still having good reviews at the time. Mine hasn’t been installed yet (waiting on unlooping so got a couple of weeks wait) but I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks for this.

”Unlooping”??

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The link I posted gives an XML list of the files they uploaded so yes, probably a bit hard to see much on a phone.

The Kona EV manual itself is at https://hyundaiuk.blob.core.windows...ok_owner_manuals/KONAEV(OSEV)OwnersManual.pdf
Duncan, this is so helpful: thank you very much indeed.

My light reading for the next few weeks! My Kona EV is supposed to be delivered at the end of October…..but with all the semi-conductor shortages that are reported in the news, I am not convinced this will happen!

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 2021 64kWh Premium
99 Posts
Thanks for this.

”Unlooping”??
As Garycat said above, essentially my neighbours come from my property instead of direct from the main line (apparently it was a thing to save cost/copper shortage in the 70’s/80’s).

The DNO have been amazing though and super helpful, they are just gonna dig a short trench from the main line and join it up to the neighbours so we have individual connections.

Can’t install the charger until that’s done though because of the risk having so much power usage on a shared connection.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts