Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
family of 5 with BEV and no home charging access
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We took our kids to the cinema this weekend and on the drive home (in the Leaf of course), my partner (who was driving) decided to make a detour to pick up our ICE that he'd left parked near a station for his weekly commute.

He parked alongside the ICE car, left the "engine" running in the LEAF and hopped out. I, of course, switched from the passenger side to the driver's seat and drove away homeward. He would've started the ICE shortly after and also headed for home.

About 3 miles later a warning flashed on my screen: "no key detected!".
Needless to say I was filled with panic as I realised that hubby still had the Leaf key in his back pocket... in the other car. I figured that since the car hadn't ground to a halt, he must be reasonably nearby - so I pulled over (but didn't switch the 'engine' off) and rang him. A few minutes later - he turned up and handed me the key through my window.

So.... you can drive a LEAF without the key for a while... as long as you're reasonably close to where the key actually is. How cool is that?

Does anyone know how far you can actually go without the key? Like - what if your kid jumped out and took your keys instead of theirs? Could you still get home? Does it run until you switch it off or does it eventually cut out and leave you stalled?

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have done this too, you can keep going until you turn the engine off again, I even went into Park and back into Drive while it told me the key was not detected.

·
family of 5 with BEV and no home charging access
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have done this too, you can keep going until you turn the engine off again, I even went into Park and back into Drive while it told me the key was not detected.
Ok - now THAT'S awesome!

Although - I suppose it also means someone could drive away with your car if you left it running.... hmmmm:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
That's good to know, thanks - keeping going until you turn the car off is the completely rational and sensible thing to do and it I find it satisfying that Nissan set it up like that (y)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I don't think i have heard of a car that will switch off if the key is not detected, like you said Joe it would be dangerous. Would be very annoying if you dropped your keys at the station and didn't have enough charge to get back as you would need to turn the car off to charge it and then wouldn't be able to switch it back on...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Also I've had occasions that if I sit on my keys in the right way it can't detect them. Imagine the car just turning off 'cos I moved my left bum cheek slightly.

·
Premium Member
10,576 Posts
Yes all keyless work this way for safety. You only need key to start car. If you leave car running a thief can take it away so don't!

The security is suposed to be that key has to be INSIDE car - you shouldn't be able to start if key is outside a closed car. Be interesting to know if any flout this...

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
Not sure, I think it does take two presses to turn off without the keys.

But I also seem to remember I heard someone was able to start the car when the keys were outside, in the gutter at the bottom of the windscreen.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Would be very annoying if you dropped your keys at the station and didn't have enough charge to get back as you would need to turn the car off to charge it and then wouldn't be able to switch it back on...
Don't forget that the car would alert you way before you could drive far enough away for it to be a problem. :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
24,384 Posts
It's not awesome at all, it just shows how idiotic 'keyless entry' systems are.

(Not a hint of oxymoronic irony that you have to have a key to operate a keyless entry system!)

I tend to throw my key in my bag before going to work, and if some chaos ensues with the kids one day I am sure some event is going to happen to cause me to leave the key at home.

Maybe I should leave the spare key at work!?!

·
Registered
26 Posts
My wife and I got out of the leaf for a wander and it refused to lock. She'd left her handbag with her keys in the car!
Another useful safety feature.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think I've heard - can anyone confirm this - that in the ZOE and perhaps Leaf you will get a warning when you try to turn off the motor and there's no keycard detected. Presumably to avoid you accidentally getting stranded.
Yup, you have to push and hold the start/stop button to turn off. Same in my Megane.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts