Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Imminently I'm due to purchase the app LeafSpy to access my 24 kWh 2016 Leaf.

I'm very much a newbie and I'm sure this has been mentioned many times, can anyone tell me at what SOH does the first of the twelve battery bars disappear?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
100/12=8.33% per bar
11 bars = 91.66% SOH :)
Unless the car didn't had the BMS upgrade, then you should go to Nissan and have the free upgrade done.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
100/12=8.33% per bar
Unless the car didn't had the BMS upgrade, then you should go to Nissan and have the free upgrade done.
Thanks for the info there :)

So, as soon as the SOH drops below 91.67% only eleven bars will be illuminated?

Also, could you elaborate on BMS? What does it stand for, and what does it do?

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Thanks for the info there :)

So, as soon as the SOH drops below 91.67% only eleven bars will be illuminated?

Also, could you elaborate on BMS? What does it stand for, and what does it do?
BMS - Battery Management System which in the Leaf is a passive system.
SOH % isn't a linear measurement.
Meaning that it will vary depending on several factors such as how many rapid charges, if there were many "top-ups" (from 30% and above) how many slow charges, etc.
With the LSP (Leaf Spy Pro) you will notice the SOH % fluctuating, this is normal and reflects how well you're taking care of it.
If you do several rapid charges from 20% to 90% and then you do a full charge from as low as you have the courage to get to 100% @ 3kwh you will see the SOH go up.
It is a learning curve that you will enjoy ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for addressing the BMS and enlightening me on that one :) How do I tell if my car has had the BMS upgrade?

When you mention the welfare of the battery and how it's been cared for, can you give me an idea of what prolongs the life and longevity of the battery?

What do you regard as rapid charge, 50 kWh DC?

I have used DC 50 kWh probably 15-20 times over the five thousand miles covered, usually a top up from 20% to 80%. I had a Rolec home charger installed more or less just after the purchase of the car and have predominantly used that for all charging. Very seldom does the three pin trickle charger see usage.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Rapid charge = 22kw and above
fast charge = 7kw
slow charge = 3kw (also known as granny charge) :)

Note that when using LSP you will notice that effective charge will be around 45kwh max and will decrease as the % goes up.
It works the same way as you blowing a very strong balloon, it is hard to start with, then gets easy for the most part then starts to get harder again as the pressure builds up and you get close to the limit the balloon can reach.
I'm not counting with the factor that you will get dizzy and tired :p

As example, when I had my 30kwh LEaf I did everything that you are not supposed to do.
3 or 4 rapid charges a day during winter
top-up from 80% at home at 3kwh rate
start charging at 35%
Several times charging to the limit of temperature (just below the red mark)
Went to London and charged 7 times each way

When I returned the car with 57k miles the SOH was 94.5% and still the 12 bars.
How I did it? anybody's guess :cool:

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,395 Posts
100/12=8.33% per bar
Is this different from Leaf 30?

Leaf 30 the first bar represents 15% lots of capacity.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
Is this different from Leaf 30?

Leaf 30 the first bar represents 15% lots of capacity.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Because SOH is measured in % not in kw or kwh the values should be the same regardless of the battery's size.
A 62kw Leaf would have the same 8.33% per bar (although the new one is a continuous bar and mine is still full, so I have no idea how it's measured)

What you would probably be looking for is that 8.33% of 30kw is 2.499kwh per bar while on a 24kwh would be 1.999kwh per bar
if the 62kw had the same measuring system then 62kw would be 5.165kwh per bar on a 12 bar scale.
I don't really know what scale the bars are measured, if linear or logarithmic.
If the first bar is 15% then the second would be less and so on until the 12th bar as in table below

(Note that for this exercise kwh and kw have the same significance because I can't be bothered to be picky) :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Rapid charge = 22kw and above
fast charge = 7kw
slow charge = 3kw (also known as granny charge) :)

Note that when using LSP you will notice that effective charge will be around 45kwh max and will decrease as the % goes up.
It works the same way as you blowing a very strong balloon, it is hard to start with, then gets easy for the most part then starts to get harder again as the pressure builds up and you get close to the limit the balloon can reach.
I'm not counting with the factor that you will get dizzy and tired :p

As example, when I had my 30kwh LEaf I did everything that you are not supposed to do.
3 or 4 rapid charges a day during winter
top-up from 80% at home at 3kwh rate
start charging at 35%
Several times charging to the limit of temperature (just below the red mark)
Went to London and charged 7 times each way

When I returned the car with 57k miles the SOH was 94.5% and still the 12 bars.
How I did it? anybody's guess :cool:
I can't say I've ever succeeded in heavy rapid charging on a frequent basis, only on the journey home from where I purchased the car. So frequent rapid charging is considered a no-no ?

You mention top-up charging, I do this frequently with my 7kW home charger. This too is considered detrimental to the longevity of the battery? What's the issue with charging at 35% ??

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I can't say I've ever succeeded in heavy rapid charging on a frequent basis, only on the journey home from where I purchased the car. So frequent rapid charging is considered a no-no ?

You mention top-up charging, I do this frequently with my 7kW home charger. This too is considered detrimental to the longevity of the battery? What's the issue with charging at 35% ??
Charging at 7kW is just fine. Extensive rapid charging (and discharging) can heat up the batteries and due to lack of active thermal management, the cells take a while to cool down

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

According to Nissan, top-up charge should be minimised as practical and be a last resort.
They advocate that the best to maintain the battery on good health is to perform charges from 20% but this when in rapid charge. If doing fast charge (7kw) then this is no longer an issue, or at least not as big issue.
The issue in top-up, (I mentioned 35% as a random figure, this could be 50% or 75%) is the memory effect, although far less than older rechargeable batteries this is still a factor.

·
Registered
940 Posts
This is incorrect.

The first bar is lost at 85% SoH.

Our 2015 Leaf 24 Tekna was purchased (used) with 88.4% SoH, sold 19 months later with 87.99% SoH and still had 12 bars present.

Many other mentions of this. First bar is lost at 85%.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
This is incorrect.

The first bar is lost at 85% SoH.

Our 2015 Leaf 24 Tekna was purchased (used) with 88.4% SoH, sold 19 months later with 87.99% SoH and still had 12 bars present.

Many other mentions of this. First bar is lost at 85%.
That's why I asked if Leaf 24 was a different beast. I purchased Leaf30 at 91.5% SoH back in the day with 12 bars. And 85% for 1st bar is what I've come across

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
I'd like to know too :)
If its a Leaf30 then there was a battery controller firmware update in 2018.

You will need LeafSpy Pro and a compatible dongle to read ECU versions in service menu.

There's a Leaf 30 firmware update thread that has enough details.

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
How about the 24?

Nothing for 24. The problem was firmware on 2 of 5 variants of Leaf30

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
2014 Leaf 24Kw
90 Posts
OK thanks. I don't know if this is just a symptom f the variability of the SoH figure measured by LeafSpy or the nature of EV batteries however;

When I got my 2014 24Kw Acenta LSP showed 96% SoH - previous owner mostly over night granny charged then commute and repeat.

A month or so later with two more rapid charges [still less than 10] and quite a few 'top-up's' from say 30-50 or 40-80 its now showing 92% and the cell chart is looking a lot more spikey!!!

Reading elsewhere it would be interesting to drive to very low then full charge on granny again and see what changes?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
OK thanks. I don't know if this is just a symptom f the variability of the SoH figure measured by LeafSpy or the nature of EV batteries however;

When I got my 2014 24Kw Acenta LSP showed 96% SoH - previous owner mostly over night granny charged then commute and repeat.

A month or so later with two more rapid charges [still less than 10] and quite a few 'top-up's' from say 30-50 or 40-80 its now showing 92% and the cell chart is looking a lot more spikey!!!

Reading elsewhere it would be interesting to drive to very low then full charge on granny again and see what changes?
Lower DoD battery for battery health however BMS calculation can get messed up. To force better accuracy, run to Low battery and charge.

All this is forever meaningless as long as it meets your needs

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
I've learned on my 30kw that running really low, and we're talking about 2%, and then make a full charge to 100% will help the SoH to recover.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts