Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm an electric vehicle lover and study Marketing in the UK. I have been paying attention to electric cars for a long time since I first saw a Tesla Model X on the road in China in 2017. It was a really amazing car that I cannot move my eyes from it. However, when I came to the UK for my master degree, I found the electric cars are not very popular. So I'm curious about the reasons why people will choose electric cars especially the high-end/ luxury electric vehicles from top brands like Tesla, Jaguar and BMW etc. For me, I like the performance and high tech provided by the electric vehicles.

By the way, l have to say all responses are anonymous and individual respondents will not be identified by name in the final report. You are also advised that you may withdraw at anytime. The project has been subject to ethical review in accordance with the procedures specified by the University of Reading Research Ethics Committee and has been given a favourable ethical opinion for conduct.

The questionnaire is here, and thanks for your attention.
Customers attitude and purchase intention towards luxury electric vehicles

·
Registered
65 Posts
upload_2019-7-2_23-35-55.png
I'm always interested in the construction of the many questionnaires that appear on here, though I don't answer them. This one seems almost dismissive of drivers over 50, giving them one box to tick. In my experience of visitors with an electric car, this age range is important in terms of electric car ownership.

: o )

Reactions: donald

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
I answered your questionnaire, but wasn't totally convinced about the set of questions. It so happens that many of the more useful EVs thus far probably fall into the "luxury" category (Teslas, iPace, eTron, etc.) but even the EVs that possibly don't fall into that category are in the same price range as "luxury" ICE marques - Kia or Nissan EVs are in the same price range as Mercedes C/E class, BMW 3/5 series or Audi A4/A6.

So at this stage it's a question of having to pay "luxury" prices for a "usable" EV. There are very few at this stage who will buy an EV as a matter of "ostentatious display" - there are plenty of ICE vehicles available for that purpose. EV buyers at this stage will mostly be doing so out of some sort of environmental concern, possibly as a means of saving money (if their particular use case happens to work out that way) or because they are interested in the technology (or increasingly because EVs are simply better than ICE in many ways).

Good luck with your project.

Reactions: AnotherJoe

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
For a questionnaire that asks about 20 questions about "luxury electric vehicles" it fails dismally at the start by not even bothering to define what either the question setter or the question answerer, define as a "luxury" vehicle .
Let alone what an "electric" vehicle is? Maybe its a self charging Lexus for example? Though I guess teh OP wasn't thinking of that.
And if I was to be really picky, I'd also point out that questions ask about "buying" a car and "purchasing" a car.
Do the majority of drivers, who lease or PCP their cars, count?

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I was confused about the term 'luxury' here.

There seemed to be an assumption that any electric vehicle was 'luxury'. I buy electric vehicles because they are:
- much better to drive than an ICE
- I'm saving the planet (yes, honest I am, single handedly)

I don't aim for 'luxury' - it is nice, but I'm not into spending unnecessarily if I can get what I want without (in fact I like a bit of inverted snobbery, for an ICE I'm happy to drive a 7 year old Skoda). I may well go out and buy an iPace or an eTron but it will be because they have the features I want, not because they are 'luxury'. The OP mentions Tesla, but I wouldn't want one (or at least they'd need to be a lot, lot cheaper) as I don't like the integration of the controls into the screen - but I do want the size. I'd be happy to drive an X-trail EV, if there was one.

So, big or expensive doesn't necessarily equate with luxury.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts