Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's been just over 10 months and I am loving the car, and quite happy with the charging lifestyle. However, a few niggles have developed, and when I am in one place long enough, I shall pop the car in for an investigation.

Niggles:

Nearside mirror grinds like mad when folding either way. It's been silicon-sprayed - no change. At first, rain seemed to make a difference, but I suspect it's a worn plastic washer-type issue, as now it always grinds, regardless of the weather.

Auto wipers and lights come on when it's a warm day and the car has been sitting in the sun for any length of time. Interesting that they BOTH come on.

Tailgate does not always open: it clicks, but catches as though (and probably it is exactly this) some part of the lock won't swing out of the way.

Alarm goes off randomly. This started this morning, and is now a thing. The only solution seems to be not locking the car. I'm going to try deactivating the interior sensor, but in the end that - or anything else really - is like putting a tuppenny bit on the stylus to get it playing properly: I'm paying for the car, and it being fit for use is a given, not a bonus!

I shall inform as to the outcome(s) as it happens.

d

·
Registered
369 Posts
Well, it's been just over 10 months and I am loving the car, and quite happy with the charging lifestyle. However, a few niggles have developed, and when I am in one place long enough, I shall pop the car in for an investigation.
There is a seperate thread on this matter. Mine still haven't been sorted under warranty, so I'm going to try another dealership closer to my home..

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used to get the tailgate thing but it was user error, if you get the timing wrong (between unlocking with fob/button and pulling it open with hand) it can catch and be a pain to unlock. If I remember rightly you need to pause between the two actions otherwise if done simultaneously it can catch.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,613 Posts
The trick with the boot is to be patient - you need to wait for the unlock to finish before pulling it open; otherwise it's like something gets caught and the car has to restart the process of unlocking it.

With regards the wing mirror, the grinding noise seems to be a well documented point of failure on Leaf models. My drivers side mirror was replaced under warranty for the grinding noise when folding/unfolding a while back, and my passenger mirror now has the same problem. At the service, they were adamant that they weren't going to do the passenger one under warranty, so I took it away and having now taken it back a couple of months later an engineer came to take a look at it and they now seem to have agreed to replace it under warranty as should be. It's going back in a week or two to have the work done, so I'll see what happens.

At my dealer at least, it seems like whether a piece of work is warranty or not depends mostly on which service advisor you talk to. Some seem to act like it's their own money that's being spent on the work!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why are you using the fob/button to unlock the car before opening the boot? It auto-unlocks when you open it normally.
I'm not sure I said I was using the fob, just that it catches when I open it. Which it now doesn't since they gave it a little greasing.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...

I took the car in, and they did the battery update/recall. This seems to have lessened the auto wipers/lights. Now they only come on when the car has been sitting in a fairly hot place. Once I've driven it for a while, and switched off and on again, the auto things are back to normal.

The boot was catching: some bit of it wasn't returning to where it should have been. It's been greased and is fine.

The alarm is still randomly coming on. I've tried switching off the motion sensor in case there was an insect inside - but it still happens (just as randomly). Again - since the battery update, it seems to only be randomly in hot weather.

The wing mirror is indeed buggered, and a new one is on order. Under warranty.

So all good-ish. I'm not sure a car should be freaked out by hot weather, though in Scotland it does seem a bit out of character.

Thanks for your replies.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
The alarm is still randomly coming on. I've tried switching off the motion sensor in case there was an insect inside - but it still happens (just as randomly). Again - since the battery update, it seems to only be randomly in hot weather.
My Gen1 also does this, but only in freezing weather. Alarm goes off when charging starts and again when it finished. So I disable the charge timer at winter time. The alarm also goes off every now and again, but its not done it since I took the 12v off for about half an hour or so.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts