Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Kona PremSe64k 2020+bluelink +ohme
498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday was a strange day.

We helped our son sell his sporty Clio. This meant driving to Heathrow for around 10.30am yesterday to meet a guy from paris who is a Renault Zoe enthusiast. All covid travel concerns about whether this guy might be forced into 14 day quarantine or other delays evaporated as he and our son did the deal in short term parking. Just over an hour later the Clio disappeared off for the ferry at Dover and later our son got a WhatsApp message saying the guy had safely arrived back home well before Paris' curfew at 9pm kicked in - and was very happy with his purchase!

Our role was to give our son a quick journey home to just North of Loughborough. So with a break at Newport Pagnell we dropped him off in loobaroo and after a break there we returned home.

This is our longest journey in our EV, driving at 70-75mph and the charge costs look good. We left Oxford fully charged. Added 30 miles for free at one of the 16 T2 free charge points. We added more miles using Ecotricity fast charger (worked perfectly) at Newport Pagnell, costing £3.50 whilst getting a quick coffee and snack in Starbucks. We arrived home with 19% remaining in the battery. Overnight on our home charger adding 200 miles to our car for a cost of £4 exactly.

So our total journey was 266 miles for a total cost of £7.50, all fully renewable. In our old Juke, at say 50mpg, that would have cost over £30. In our old VW Golf assuming 40 to the gallon that would probably be more like £45. That's a result in my eye.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've discovered the same maths for myself....Previous car Audi S6....a beast with 450BHP however, since I've bought my Renault Zoe I've covered just over 700 miles for £0.00 (charge still free around me in Scotland), otherwise this would have cost me close to £180 quid...ouch 😂 and I am only 20 days into my ownership.....

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
275 Posts
1000 miles covered in my Soul EV so far. I have done a couple of 5 minute rapid tests on ecotricity and Instavolt to get to know how they work, 3 overnight partial charges at home, a free 4 hours on a pod point destination charger at Chester Zoo and have now discovered one of the Engie rapids near my house that are springing up around West Yorkshire and are free until October next year.

So far, 1000 miles at a cost of 10 quid.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona EV 64kw Premium SE
67 Posts
This is great :) Only 2k mile owner here, and so far it's cost me £25 - and some of that was testing chargers :) Was previously spending £120 a month on diesel. This is good stuff.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
The savings on fuel was one of the things that convinced me to change my car, went from a BMW 528i spending £330 a month on fuel to charging at work which is free, so largely 0 cost!

People look at me rather incredulously when I explain the costs for me are free, but even if I was paying for it, it would come in about a 5th of what I was paying previously.

With the £0 road fund license being the icing on the cake!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
17,732 Posts
Let me tell you about the time I spent £140k so I could save a few quid on petrol...

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Let me tell you about the time I spent £140k so I could save a few quid on petrol...
No, to be fair I bought my car because it was big, carries 7 people and goes like a stabbed rat! it also didn't cost me £140k, too rich for my blood :)

The fact I could save £330 a month was just a huge bonus, how much have you saved from all your electric European gallivanting, if you of course exclude Darts Farm and its ilk ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts