Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Soul EV & Tesla Model S
241 Posts
I've just been reading Tesla's website regarding supercharging and it says no. of stalls 4-10. I'm not sure this is true in the UK. It looks like we have quite a number of just 2! Has any owner had to wait for a free bay/stall?

BTW loving the roll-out. Just need Leeds & Aberdeen for me to cope with 99% of my needs.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There seems to be a couple of factors that influence the number of bays.

Firstly available power, if there is only enough power for 2 bays, no point putting in more, from a few conversations I have had it seems the UK power grid is not great at delivering lots of power. Companies dont tend to over provision by large amounts so finding a site that can sustain a few extra hundred Kw/h is quite hard.

Secondly they do seem to be starting small and expanding once they see usage grow,westfield started with 4 bays and now has another 4 under construction, I have heard the plans for the Crystal are to grow it from 2 to 6 bays, assume this is based on usage stats and available power.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
. It looks like we have quite a number of just 2! Has any owner had to wait for a free bay/stall?

BTW loving the roll-out. Just need Leeds & Aberdeen for me to cope with 99% of my needs.
Never heard of anyone having to wait, however if its a 2 bay charger you get lower power while the first car charges, so just like choosing a urinal in the mens toilets best to leave a bay free between you and the next guy :)

Agree on need for east coast route, Leeds and Cambridge then onto Aberdeen would be fantastic

·
Super Moderator
7,503 Posts
Never heard of anyone having to wait, however if its a 2 bay charger you get lower power while the first car charges, so just like choosing a urinal in the mens toilets best to leave a bay free between you and the next guy :)

Agree on need for east coast route, Leeds and Cambridge then onto Aberdeen would be fantastic
Love the urinal analogy!

·
Registered
6,865 Posts

I'd add Peterborough and Newcastle, to properly cover the East coast (esp. A1). (Basically tracking the East Coast Mainline)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Theres a two bay at Cribbs Causeway Bristol underground next to John Lewis but Ive also been told theres another two bay above ground as well.

Theres a four bay at the Reading one.

Never had to wait but have seen other cars charging at Bristol.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Someone was very close to needing to wait at Brum; pulling in as I was puling out and one of the two bays was still occupied. The midlands needs much better coverage (Brum SC in the city centre is a pain given the traffic) so I'm hoping for something down the M6/M5 and M40 to link the NW with that there London (which, once again, seems to dominate the thinking/planning) and, of course, Wales (one seems to be planned around Machynlleth, but that seems a bit off the beaten track to me, Llandrindod Wells a much better bet)

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did have to wait at The Crystal for about half an hour once.

The first time I used Birmingham it was on a Saturday. I had to talk the chap on duty at the Hyatt out of making me stay with the car while it was charging. The following day (on my way back) they were much more relaxed. Apparently the SC gets very busy on Saturdays and they have seen queues with people having left their cars for hours after finishing their charge.

I passed through again this weekend and they now have signs above the Tesla bays warning that stays longer that 90 minutes are chargeable.

The Tower Bridge hotel are now charging for parking for anything past an hour.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Wow, so if it busy and already occupied power sharing and you fail to charge quickly you get charged £ for the priviledge!? Spinoff Tesla/ Hotel charge or charged enterprise model:D.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts