Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some hen food, I think that's essential, I shall take some eggs to a friend as they live close to the hen food shop, I'm struggling to get rid of eggs as my neighbours prefer eggs from supermarkets not hens bottoms

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,172 Posts
We have a Farm shop that's close to us (17 miles) so we go there as we rarely need to queue. They do have social distancing there and the same sort of lines on the floor that Tesco do. SWMBO won't go out for a walk as she is petrified of meeting someone. So we go via the country lanes and she get's to see some rural beauty. We have a USB with some songs on that we sing a long to as we go. We do it at the top of our voices as no-one can hear us. Very therapeutic.

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I'm struggling to get rid of eggs as my neighbours prefer eggs from supermarkets not hens bottoms
where do they think supermarket eggs come from then?? the mind boggles.

if you're near Cambridge I'll happily buy fresh eggs rather than the ones that have spent days travelling by truck or sitting in a warehouse or on supermarket shelves!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I'm struggling to get rid of eggs
If you are within range of South Essex or Chelmsford I'll willingly have a sing for my supper my very own SWMBO is restricting my eggs as the SM keeps selling out. I think to get food is an essential trip don't you and the disks on my Berti need a little polishing up to keep them in tip top condition

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I live very close however I do not possess a light aircraft which makes 200 miles away very close

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
spent days travelling by truck or sitting in a warehouse or on supermarket shelves!
You would be surprised. A far will sell huge volumes of eggs in a day, because they've got a lot of chickens and they could well be on a supermarket shelf within a day or 2, all the eggs will be as fresh. But if someone sells you 6 eggs and has 2 hens then every chance you've a mix of 1 2 and 3 day old eggs. ;) That said an egg stays fresh for ages.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Washing eggs reduces use by life by around 2+ weeks, hens coat the eggs as they're being laid producers remove the coating by washing them

·
Zoe Devotee
9,114 Posts
Washing eggs reduces use by life by around 2+ weeks, hens coat the eggs as they're being laid producers remove the coating by washing them
Do they then glue feathers back on? The ones i get from the shops usually have a bit of shit and feathers on them.... could this be like the washed spuds they then roll in some clean dirt to make them look more rustic?

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
915 Posts
We used to sell our eggs at the roadside, and had a range of breeds. I charge a £1 for 6, but people never wanted the multicoloured eggs from my varying breeds of hens, used to have a green egg layer and a white egg layer.

People only seemed to trust a brown chickens egg!!!!

Also have Silkies and no-one wanted miniature eggs the size of a large grape - people are funny only wanting what they think of as"normal"

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One of my hens lays green eggs but according to her breed they should be brown, perhaps she is a fan of friends of the earth

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
where do they think supermarket eggs come from then?? the mind boggles.
It's amazing how little children's minds work !.
When our grand daughter was about 3 she accompanied us for our weekly shopping trip.
While around the fruit and veg department, she said :-
"Why do them carrots over there have that funny green stuff popping out of the top, what is it".
I tried to explain that carrots are grown in the ground and they ALL look like that.
"No Grandad - my mummy has the carrots without green hair on the top".
It had me chuckling all around the shop.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts