Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,039 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..possibly an inaccurate one, but this is from what I have read and as much as is really out in the public.

Volt/Ampera has various design cues from EV1, which I think we all know about. Various technical issues were dealt with in the EV1 design including power electronics and battery form (T-shaped pack).

The Voltec power train design itself was, afaik, first built for the Saturn Flextreme, which carried the dual motor epicyclic electric transaxle design of the Volt. The one difference being that it was a diesel engine.

You can see 'similar' carry over design features, such as a 'transmission tunnel'. I think GM was keen to create cars that were 'familiar' to ICE drivers, so we also got things like creep and an engine that spins up when power is demanded, and other such features which are unnecessary for EVs;

The Flextreme show-cased in 2008, while the beginnings of the Volt body design itself appeared the year before as a concept;

The Flextreme also came with optional Segways! Maybe it was for those very keen on avoiding any engine running and don't quite make it!

... and then.....

FWIW, the Flextreme concept was 'rebooted' in 2010 as the 'Flextreme GT', and a number of concepts were presented over the next year, both 2 and 4 door versions;

GTE;

and Spyder;

Seriously, GM, what the F* were you thinking to NOT producing this car?.... Instead, that year you decided to launch this;

****slow clap****

·
Registered
239 Posts
Did they sell the design to Renault for the new (at the time) Megane? I have to say for the space where Vauxhall are now, did it come with option to buy the company (I know its the wrong French co, but close)

·
Chartered Engineer
1,841 Posts
The trouble is the concept cars are all generated by free thinkers who are given the flexibility and space to come up with revolutionary concepts. As soon as the concepts hit the usual product development process they fall flat at the first hurdle or get committee designed to remove the revolutionary bits!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Interesting concept designs. Look a bit look Tesla's current range.......
Wasn't the EV-1 the car that GM recalled and destroyed them all? I heard there are a few still out there in private collections.
My wife has a 59 plate Imiev and I agree the range averages 60-65 miles. Sometimes we have seen 72 miles after a charge but it is a great little practical car. I had it over 80mph on the motorway once but you could see the range left reading drop alarmingly quick!
I have just bought an Ampera which should see me use zero petrol on my daily commute as we are lucky to have a double charging pont at work as the boss has a Volvo 4x4 hybrid which does 15 miles only on electric!

·
Premium Member
9,864 Posts
Thread reboot. I wonder if PSA managed to include the Flextreme design in the purchase of Opel (a bit like we ask for free car mats) as it really deserves to be built ;)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts