Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently waiting for someone whilst sat in the car, with the key in my pocket. I had a low battery so I turned off the car. This left the radio running so I opened the drivers door and closed it again to turn the radio off and let the car think I had left.

About 5-10 minuets later the car locked itself and folded in the wing mirrors. I was still sat inside the car with the key in my pocket.

I took the key out and waved it around but the car did not register that the key was inside the car.

I tried to open the car door from the inside and it would not open. I also tried to press the door unlock button on the drivers door and this had no effect.

The only way I could unlock the door was to press the button on the key.

Very worrying considering the could have been a child trapped in there etc..

Fon

·
Premium Member
10,168 Posts

·
Registered
11,691 Posts
I agree. Children should not be left in a car unless it has ‘dog mode’ activated.

Or you live in the late 1980s and it’s fine to leave them alone in the car in a pub car park while you sink a few half’s...

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,587 Posts
I was recently waiting for someone whilst sat in the car, with the key in my pocket. I had a low battery so I turned off the car. This left the radio running so I opened the drivers door and closed it again to turn the radio off and let the car think I had left.

About 5-10 minuets later the car locked itself and folded in the wing mirrors. I was still sat inside the car with the key in my pocket.

I took the key out and waved it around but the car did not register that the key was inside the car.

I tried to open the car door from the inside and it would not open. I also tried to press the door unlock button on the drivers door and this had no effect.

The only way I could unlock the door was to press the button on the key.

Very worrying considering the could have been a child trapped in there etc..

Fon
What's the issue?

It was just locking the car in case there was some fault and it was taking a precautionary approach. To unlock the car you ... unlock the car ....

The only problem here would be if, as you say, the key is in there and you can't get in from the outside. But you've not said if that is the case or not. If the key is inside, the car locks itself, can the keyless entry buttons on the outside open it?

Personally, I would go test that. Leave the spare key at the back of the house, and then do what you just did but stay outside. After it self-locks, with the key in, then try to use the keyless entry buttons. If it doesn't open, go get the spare and figure out what setting disables that, because if that is the case, then yes I would not care for that to happen if I was well away from my spare key.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,586 Posts
I went to a friends house, when I arrived I got out but left the key inside the car, on returning to the car a few minutes later I found that it was locked, had a bit of a panic but eventually managed to log in and unlock the door with the app, its nice to know that you can never lock yourself out as long as you have an internet connection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts