Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered the 6.6 fast charger with my Acenta ( due to collect next week) at £25 a month more on my lease. I get a fast charge cable (which i could have bought privately for >£200) and don't get the brick! My lease company must be rubbing their hands in glee! in 3 years they get the car back and it will be loads easier to sell it on! Ah well too late now :( Perhaps i should have done my homework a bit better? Looking forward to next week though

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I certainly have no charge issues we have a rapid at just about every street corner in my neck of the woods! :)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
There is a lot more to having a car with 6.6kW charging than just the cost of the cable. You will appreciate the faster charging I have no doubt and I expect that for most people that £25/m extra would be well worth it even if they still ahd to buy the cable.

It is more about convenience and how much more usable the car becomes for longer journeys with faster charging.

You have made the correct decision IMO... enjoy!

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The wait is agony! I am looking forward to this car more than any other car i have ever owned! And I will save £100 a month even if I was to charge at home every day! win win. And my mum, sisters and friend (Glasow and Oakham) all have off road parking......

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cheers I'll see how things go. My mate at work has the EVSE which I could ask to borrow when I go on long trips. I am a bit reluctant to ask him as it's quite an expensive piece of kit. his car is a also a lease so the charger does not really belong to him. I will wait and see if he offers it :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, when I made my own boo boo recently and went to a "rapid" that was down, the top-up at the "fast" charger next to it made ALL the difference!
Yeah I'll bet! An important rapid charger for me is the one at Newton St Boswell's. It will be vital for me getting to Glasgow. I an led to believe the fast and 3 pin are on a separate post to the rapid?

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Yeah I'll bet! An important rapid charger for me is the one at Newton St Boswell's. It will be vital for me getting to Glasgow. I an led to believe the fast and 3 pin are on a separate post to the rapid?
Yes, rapids are always on their own either DC only or AC/DC combined. The slower chargers have their own posts (often combined "fast" and "slow", but not "rapid").

·
Driving yet another EV!
2,884 Posts
Yes, rapids are always on their own either DC only or AC/DC combined. The slower chargers have their own posts (often combined "fast" and "slow", but not "rapid").
Except the old SGTE / Elektrobay units which are DC rapid and AC fast (on a type-2 socket). St Boswell's is one of these.

Edit: Although having just looked for details, I see that St Boswell's is DC only.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm eagerly awaiting a Tekna with the 6.6kW charger and was unable to persuade the dealer to chuck in a brick as part of the deal. Seems to me that an EVSE is pretty essential for overnight stays at friends and relatives. After watching Grant's video (and deciding I didn't have the time or energy for a DIY one), and lots of searching on the web, I found the ebay seller 'pentagon-heritage-centre' who was very helpful and ordered me an Ampera one for 240 quids.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts