Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 281 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first foray into the EV world. It was a bit of rush as I had to have the deal done by the end of this month.

I've already decided that I will be keeping it for a year and then getting rid for either an Enyaq or an Ionic 5, depending on what deals are about then (neither was an option this time around as they were simply not available).

It's a combination of things that are putting me off the ID3, but it can probably be summed up by saying that it does not feel "special" enough inside for a £35,000 car. On another forum I frequent, a good car interior is often described as being "a nice place to be". Inside the ID3 is OK, but it is not a nice place to be. Most of the operations of the car needing to be done through the screen is already a real annoyance. Then the trims (mine is a Family) are a bizarre combination of premium features (matrix LED lights, pano roof) and cost cutting (steel wheels, no rear speakers).

I know all of this information was available to me before I bought, but as I said, it was a rush job and this was the best I could get in budget.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yes, I also feel the ID3 isn't "Special" inside - I saw one on a charger when I charged mine and I got chatting to the owner.

He let me look (didn't sit in obviously at the moment) but it looked really budget to me. He looked at my Soul, and thought it looked "Funky" but we both agreed that both were a way off the best interiors out there....

I do think if I had to choose one though it would be the Soul - and now I'd go Niro - although of course with the grant gone I could only have a Niro 2 - so much lower spec - so would that move me to possibly go MG5 and save a lot of money......

·
Registered
875 Posts
Ioniq 5 is going to be nice - also the new Kia EV6

But by then the Chinese may have hit in a big way - take a look on the internet at Nio and Xpeng - one of them may be here by then......

Seriously good cars at very good prices.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,505 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the Skoda (and presumably the Hyundai too) will have very similar touch controls.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,795 Posts
You probably feel this way because of all the VAG fans banging on about build quality all the time.

How are the panel gaps? :)

·
Registered
875 Posts
I don't want to burst your bubble, but the Skoda (and presumably the Hyundai too) will have very similar touch controls.
The Skoda seems to have a row of buttons under the touchscreen - can't really see what they do from the photos I've seen so far - however I fear you are right, these touchscreens are fine for nav and stuff, but they are getting way to much to my mind.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Not a clue what you're on about?

What do panel gaps have to do with an interior?
It's one of those long running jokes/stereotypes... VW's build quality is going down the pan, Teslas have panel gaps you could park a bus in, Nissans destroy batteries, Mazdas are rust buckets, and french cars are held together by spit and hope. If one gets mentioned, the conversation seems to descend into a brand bashing pissing contest.

The joys of the internet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I honestly think that interiors (and perhaps the entire car) is such a personal thing that you'll almost never get consensus on the internet!

To add some balance - my wife loves her ID.3 - and very unlike her has even been publicly vocal about that on VW posts on social media. In particular she really likes the interior. And it's not that we haven't got/had other premium interiors to compare it to - recent manufacturer lists of cars we've had including Mercedes, Audi, Jaguar.....

On the minimalist approach that, in reality, all car manufacturers are taking - we both love that too. No buttons is fine by us - we use the voice control almost exclusively in the ID.3 - and have been frustrated in other recent cars that the voice controls couldn't do more. But then we do the same at home with Siri controlling most things & Sky Q voice control for mainstream TV.... It's all on a journey to autonomous anyway - so a move to voice is just a step in that direction.

It's not like I don't like buttons at all - but in cars that's what classic/modern classics are for - you can't expect old tech in a brand new car; surely?! It's like expecting push-in buttons and twisty-tuner knobs on your new flat-screen TV!

Reactions: Rooster-x

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm really sorry to read a post from someone who isn't enjoying their EV.

Sadly, they're all the same at the moment. £20K cars with £15K worth of battery and development costs. The Hyundai's and Kia's are the same. Cheap cars made expensive because of the new technology. Even the more expensive Tesla's are a bit meh on the perceived quality front. Only the Jaguar iPace, eTron and Taycan seem to buck the trend (and in the case of the eTron it's very much perceived quality). I can only urge you to revel in the low running costs and look forward to the market leveling out over the next few years.

·
Registered
492 Posts
On another forum I frequent, a good car interior is often described as being "a nice place to be". Inside the ID3 is OK, but it is not a nice place to be.
I'm slightly more happy with my ID.3 than you appear to be with yours, but I do agree to a point. My previous car was an e-Golf, which was a more comfortable car to be in for longer drives, but did not behave as well on the road or handle as well in general. I also expect my ID.3 to last between 12-24 months before I replace it. If I could smoosh the Golf & ID.3 together somehow it would be an almost perfect car IMO (at this price point).

I do prefer the fewer-buttons interior though, especially as cars become more autonomous in their capabilities. How many of those physical buttons that people say they miss so much are actually used regularly? The only things I touch most times I get in my car are the steering wheel, gear selector and indicator stalk. Occasionally I'll use next/previous track & volume. Lights & wipers are fully automatic, I almost never touch those. I never use the parking brake button - Just get in & drive, or auto hold kicks in when getting out. I'm glad I have no rear window switches, the only time I ever opened the rear windows of my e-Golf was by accident. AC always stays on full auto at the same temperature. Android Auto connects and continues whatever music I was listening to on Spotify in the house. Google Maps on AA always comes back on the screen & will automatically have the last destination I searched for on any device (phone or PC) as a navigation option.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm really sorry to read a post from someone who isn't enjoying their EV.

Sadly, they're all the same at the moment. £20K cars with £15K worth of battery and development costs. The Hyundai's and Kia's are the same. Cheap cars made expensive because of the new technology. Even the more expensive Tesla's are a bit meh on the perceived quality front. Only the Jaguar iPace, eTron and Taycan seem to buck the trend (and in the case of the eTron it's very much perceived quality). I can only urge you to revel in the low running costs and look forward to the market leveling out over the next few years.
I don’t mind it, but there’s no sense of occasion to it. It does the job it was designed to do, but in a soulless way. I’ll try and adapt to using the screen but I’ll definitely be looking for buttons / knobs for the HVAC systems at least in my next car. Putting all this stuff on the screen is a solution to a problem that did not exist. The haptic buttons on the steering wheel are another example - there’s no pleasure in using them - just the opposite in fact.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I thought we were talking about a VW here, not a Bentley?
What they get compared to, rightly or wrongly, is ICE cars costing the same money. In my case I came from a BMW 320i saloon. Amongst other cars in the past I have had a Golf 7 GTI. Both cost similar money to the ID3 and both are miles better inside. I know it’s the battery that’s accounting for a lot of the cost in the ID3 so it’s not a fair comparison, but you can see why it gets made.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Putting all this stuff on the screen is a solution to a problem that did not exist.
It does actually solve a problem, but it's an obscure one. Mechanical buttons are prone to failure, either from moving parts (when was the last time you lubricated a button?), or contaminants entering the mechanism and causing damage. Touch sensitive panels replace these mechanical problems with electrical ones (namely horribly complex sensing frontends), while also giving the UI designer significantly more freedom (which may or may not be a good thing). Interestingly, it also can make manufacturing easier - some sensor technologies literally let you print off an array of sensors in whatever form you want, so instead of having to keep a giant stock of buttons in a cupboard, you just need to keep the paper tray loaded and make sure that you have enough pritt stick to mount the sensor sheet where you want it.

Having said that, I've never had a button in a car fail (although the buttons on my previous VW's steering wheel were definitely starting to wear out when I got rid of it), and I hate touch screens.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It does actually solve a problem, but it's an obscure one. Mechanical buttons are prone to failure, either from moving parts (when was the last time you lubricated a button?), or contaminants entering the mechanism and causing damage. Touch sensitive panels replace these mechanical problems with electrical ones (namely horribly complex sensing frontends), while also giving the UI designer significantly more freedom (which may or may not be a good thing). Interestingly, it also can make manufacturing easier - some sensor technologies literally let you print off an array of sensors in whatever form you want, so instead of having to keep a giant stock of buttons in a cupboard, you just need to keep the paper tray loaded and make sure that you have enough pritt stick to mount the sensor sheet where you want it.

Having said that, I've never had a button in a car fail (although the buttons on my previous VW's steering wheel were definitely starting to wear out when I got rid of it), and I hate touch screens.
I do wonder if it is cost-related. Maybe one screen is cheaper than a whole array of buttons and knobs.

1 - 20 of 281 Posts