Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am doing a trip from Scotland down the A1 to Seahouses in Northumberland to see the seabirds/Farne Islands tomorrow.

ZapMap is showing that Berwick-Upon-Tweed (Swan Sports Centre) Rapid, and Seahouses fast charger are both down as of 31-Mar. Great for me if that is the case, I don't suppose anyone has tried either charger in the last few days?

On the Scottish side of the border, the charger status is good. I might have to stop off at Eyemouth now (a bit off route though) on way down just so I have enough to get back, or head even further down the A1 before coming home to charge at Alnwick which is doubling back on myself, so not great either.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Phone and ask CYC. Their map shows the Berwick one as working.

I've not used the Seahouses one in ages, but I remember when I did use it it was a faff to get it going.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, have emailed CYC. Their map shows Berwick is down for AC, but DC/CCS apparently working. That makes sense that AC has been disabled as Berwick is an ABB charger and that model of Rapid is prone to Zoe's crashing and breaking them. About time these ABB Rapid's had this issue sorted really. Seahouses showing as completely down on CYC also.

Do you know if the Seahouses charger is in that large pay for car park near the harbour area?

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, have emailed CYC. Their map shows Berwick is down for AC, but DC/CCS apparently working. That makes sense that AC has maybe been disabled as Berwick is an ABB charger and that model of Rapid is prone to Zoe's crashing and breaking them. About time these Rapid's got this issue sorted really. Seahouses showing as completely down on CYC also.

Do you know if you usually get free parking on the Seahouses Station Yard Carpark charger?

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
As far as I know all CYC chargers have free parking in the north east - even if they are not working just make sure you plug in anyway.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I see Wooler Rapid is also down. Either I have decided to visit Northumberland on a bad month where everything has gone down at the same time, or more likely I am guessing Northumberland are not the best for charging provision.

Such a popular tourist destination as Seahouses with the Farne Islands, Holy Isles, Barmborourgh Castle etc should really have a few 7kW Type 2's.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Right just to confirm. Seahouses charger is certainly down. It had no power. I was not expecting I could flip the trip switch back on and have it up and running or anything, but I was going to try. However my "universal" key did not fit the lock on the power supply box. It has a L type of shape lock that have never seen before. I decided to just pay the £3.50 all day parking fee, as it was not excessive. If the charger actually had power I would not have paid it and plugged in. As it had not power, I had visions of an enthusiastic parking warden giving me a ticket to. Another instance of an electric driver being double whammy punished, no charge and no free parking (another thread topic surely?)

I was able to use Berwick-Upon-Tweed Swan Sports Centre rapid on way down and way back home again. No problems, DC working fine, although AC as expected was disabled.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts