Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have some journeys coming up which will see me heading down from Newcastle to London a few times. Thanks to covid it's been quite a long time since I last did and since then I'm in a totally different car. In the past I always used the M1 and relied upon the many Electric Highway chargers down there. Since getting the new car I was taking a look at ABRP to get an idea of how far I might get before needing to charge and it seems that planner really likes the idea of me taking the A1 instead.

What's the A1 like for charging nowadays in comparison to the M1? It's been a long time since I last went that way (in an ICE) and don't remember seeing many MSA's along the route in comparison. I Like the simplicity of just being able to pull off when I feel it is time to charge and know that there will be somewhere to plug in, with no need to leave the motorway and look for chargers nearby hidden round the back of a gym or hotel. Would this approach to charging now work for me on the A1 too?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,906 Posts
I’m a frequent user of the A1 between around Grantham and Scotch Corner, and it’s better than it has been for quite a while, but there are still gaps where you’ll have to leave the A1 and find odd chargers if required.

Markham Moor has 4 x Shell Rapids Northbound and 4 x Instavolt Rapids a little further North at Starbucks. Southbound there are 2 x Instavolts at Starbucks as well.

At Grantham there are 2 x Instavolt Rapids at a retail park, and then you’ve got Ionity further South at Peterborough Services and a number of Rapids not far off the parkways.

Going back North from Markham Moor, you’ve got 4 x Instavolt Rapids at Ripon in the Booths car park, a slight detour but more guaranteed.

There’s a single Pulse Rapid further north again at Bedale, again a slight detour, but only the one.

There’s the Ecotricity lottery at Scotch Corner Services, and then approaching Newcastle there are some more Rapids.

I’m not sure what it’s like these days from Peterborough South, haven’t been down there in a few years now, but generally I’d say the A1 is better for charging than the M1. That reminds me, there’s Skelton Lake Ionity on the M1 near Leeds.

It depends on the car really, since I’ve had the ID.3, I haven’t needed to public charge at all, but I’d say the A1 is the better route than the M1 for an EV generally.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,162 Posts
but I’d say the A1 is the better route than the M1 for an EV generally
Probably true as it is miserably slow on the two lane sections due to excess traffic and wagons attempting to overtake. :mad: At least being in an EV you are then travelling at the speed of the traffic rather than conscious of being that much slower. ;)

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
The A1 is well served, particularly south of Markham Moor. Although I make use of Ionity, and not everybody has that luxury! There are plenty of Shell and InstaVolt dotted about. On or very close to the road.

Mind you, the new Ecotricity site at Corley services makes the M1 attractive now. You also have InstaVolt at Markham Vale and Ionity/Pulse at MiltonKeynes (zero facilities still though).

It’s the northbound journey I find frustrating. North of the M62 there’s not much on offer if you don’t trust Ecotricity. I sometimes take the A19 instead. At least you have a single Shell unit at Thirsk.

·
Registered
482 Posts
What's the A1 like for charging nowadays in comparison to the M1? It's been a long time since I last went that way (in an ICE) and don't remember seeing many MSA's along the route in comparison. I Like the simplicity of just being able to pull off when I feel it is time to charge and know that there will be somewhere to plug in, with no need to leave the motorway and look for chargers nearby hidden round the back of a gym or hotel. Would this approach to charging now work for me on the A1 too?
I can only tell you the section I'm familiar with - Peterborough to Baldock.

Peterborough has two Ecotricity chargers (only one is CCS) and a bank of Ionitys.
The Shell at Buckden has 4 chargers.
The BP at Astwick has two chargers - Northbound only.
Baldock has two Ecotricity but the CCS unit was dead and probably still is, however there are also four Ionitys.

So lots of choice there.

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rugby services, no?
I think there may be confusion between the two new sites now.
Corley services has a recently installed bank of Instavolt chargers. Rugby services has an even more recently installed bank of Electric Highway HPCs. Both seem pretty impressive.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
Yes, I meant Rugby rather than Corley!

I stopped there on Saturday. It’s a bit of a diversion off the M1 but not terrible. Would happily do it again

·
Registered
'18 Zoe ZE 40 R110 + '21 VW ID.4 1st
365 Posts
The A1 is well served, particularly south of Markham Moor. Although I make use of Ionity, and not everybody has that luxury! There are plenty of Shell and InstaVolt dotted about. On or very close to the road.

Mind you, the new Ecotricity site at Corley services makes the M1 attractive now. You also have InstaVolt at Markham Vale and Ionity/Pulse at MiltonKeynes (zero facilities still though).

It’s the northbound journey I find frustrating. North of the M62 there’s not much on offer if you don’t trust Ecotricity. I sometimes take the A19 instead. At least you have a single Shell unit at Thirsk.
Thrisk also has 4 Instavolt chargers, just down the road from the Shell station. We charged there on Sunday, flawless experience as always!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hi all,

I have some journeys coming up which will see me heading down from Newcastle to London a few times. Thanks to covid it's been quite a long time since I last did and since then I'm in a totally different car. In the past I always used the M1 and relied upon the many Electric Highway chargers down there. Since getting the new car I was taking a look at ABRP to get an idea of how far I might get before needing to charge and it seems that planner really likes the idea of me taking the A1 instead.

Thanks in advance!
@80698 I do Co Durham to the East Midlands reasonably often, and once to London. The Derbys/Notts corridor of the M1 (junctions 32 - 25ish) is well served with rapids and I've also taken advantage several times of the (currently) free West Yorkshire Engie rapids on my way back north; Boston Spa and Wetherby are just off the A1.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
This is an interesting thread for me. It's been well over a year since I did any journey requiring rapid charging - in fact, the last one might have been November 2019! However, after 14 months of being a hermit, my wife and I have now had our second jabs and some time next month we will be looking to drive to Lancashire to see her sisters (assuming staying at other people's houses is permitted by then).

I drive an e-Golf, so it's CCS I'm interested in. How is the network faring now and which are the recommended suppliers?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
Where are you driving from? The number of CCS chargers has increased massively since then, but there are still gaps where you are going to have to do some planning.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Where are you driving from? The number of CCS chargers has increased massively since then, but there are still gaps where you are going to have to do some planning.
Southend. Typically we have our first charge at Cambridge services when we go north.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
659 Posts
On M1, M6 you have some excellent charging hubs now. BP Pulse/ Ionity at Milton Keynes (not much in the way of services, but good number of chargers), Ecotricity at Rugby Services j1, Instavolt at Corley, and MFG at j27. All reliable and large sites.

Going A1/ M62, after Cambridge you have a good selection at Markham Moor - 4 Shell Rapids, a BP at the hotel, and Instavolt just a bit further North at Starbucks. Beyond that, on the M62, I'm not sure. You would also be duty bound to call in at Gridserve in Braintree if it's not too far out of your way, to pay your pilgrimage.. :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts