Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... and you can’t order the Golf.....

Spec of the new M-B looks very interesting with 7kw >and< DC charging?

Up to 60km eMode? Bring it on.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
So yet more PHEV blocking rapids........ Hopefully all rapids will soon have a per minute charge so as to make the DC charging useless

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
... and you can’t order the Golf.....

Spec of the new M-B looks very interesting with 7kw >and< DC charging?

Up to 60km eMode? Bring it on.
As an owner of a PHEV with DC charging (outlander) I can count the number of times I have needed or wanted to rapid charge on the fingers on my head :) The best use of a PHEV is charging overnight, or slow charging if you are stopping for 2-3 hours and then the ICE for those longer journeys - DC charging for 30-40 mins for an added 20-30 miles just isnt a good use of time IMO, keep DC chargers for EV's

Its a shame they didn't take the original b250e idea and add a petrol engine to make it a range extender

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
So yet more PHEV blocking rapids........ Hopefully all rapids will soon have a per minute charge so as to make the DC charging useless
Does it make any difference whether you’re waiting for another EV to charge on the DC for 25 mins or one of these new DC PHEV Mercs for 25 mins?

If they can rapid charge, they can rapid charge is my view.

The more cars using rapid chargers (ones that can genuinely use them anyway) then the more likely the companies that put them there will make some money and be more inclined to install some more.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Does it make any difference whether you’re waiting for another EV to charge on the DC for 25 mins or one of these new DC PHEV Mercs for 25 mins?

If they can rapid charge, they can rapid charge is my view.

The more cars using rapid chargers (ones that can genuinely use them anyway) then the more likely the companies that put them there will make some money and be more inclined to install some more.
For the charging networks to make money while having a per kwh fee, they need people with fast charging cars to be using their chargers. The risk of a charger being blocked makes it more likely EV drivers will take the ICE for long distance travel. Hence slow charging PHEV reduces the money a charging network can make.

Hence without a per minute usage fee set at a level to cover the full capital cost of a rapid charger, PHEV (with small batteries) that can rapid change are part of the problem not the solution.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
For the charging networks to make money while having a per kwh fee, they need people with fast charging cars to be using their chargers. The risk of a charger being blocked makes it more likely EV drivers will take the ICE for long distance travel. Hence slow charging PHEV reduces the money a charging network can make.

Hence without a per minute usage fee set at a level to cover the full capital cost of a rapid charger, PHEV (with small batteries) that can rapid change are part of the problem not the solution.
But we’re talking about a Merc PHEV that can do DC rapid charging and gonfrom 10% to 80% in 25 mins (if the specs are correct), not a 3.3kw Golf GTE.

Therefore, you’re ire is a little mis-directed here I think.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re rapids my own view is that anyone using a rapid ought to be limited to an hour's drinking max, and then £10 per 10mins that their car is cabled but has finished charging.

Getting back the MB vs GolfGTE, I don't think there are any other nippy and smart Golf sized PHEVs out there? PHEVs yes maybe ( Ioniq, Prius ) but nippy and smart ?

I suppose the B-class one is aimed at denting sales of the BMW2series ActiveTourer?
A Class aimed at BMW330e, or not quite the same ?

I do like the idea of a REX, it is better than a PHEV and can take away Charger-Availability worries.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
One problem with REX is that none of the car makers have a small enough engine that passes all the EU emissions regs, while also being cheap to service/repair and with good reliability.

(I think a REX Ford Transit van is coming out useing a mass macket car engine as its generator.)

·
Registered
987 Posts

Your ire could equally be extended to an e-Golf or Leaf limited to 40kW charging. A PHEV charging at 20kW is not an unreasonable use especially considering the few EVs capable of 100kW+ charge rates.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Was randomly poking around and found this is now configurable on the Mercedes website, starts at £32,185. Plugged into Carwow and managed to get offers at £31,761 speced in denim blue with the Premium Package (RRP inc options £36,425). Incredibly tempted trading in my '16 Golf GTE

·
Embracing the GTE revolution in Golf GTE
483 Posts
What car was that for the A250 or the other one as I really do like the loom of the A250.

I am not certain this is the correct model by the way. But regardless the A series hatch is a very nice car and would be a nice step up from a Golf GTE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts