Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

A250e/B250e PHEVs — pushes the Golf GTE off the want list

9K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  tom66 
#1 ·
... and you can’t order the Golf.....

Spec of the new M-B looks very interesting with 7kw >and< DC charging?

Up to 60km eMode? Bring it on.

#4 ·
Does it make any difference whether you’re waiting for another EV to charge on the DC for 25 mins or one of these new DC PHEV Mercs for 25 mins?

If they can rapid charge, they can rapid charge is my view.

The more cars using rapid chargers (ones that can genuinely use them anyway) then the more likely the companies that put them there will make some money and be more inclined to install some more.

#3 ·
As an owner of a PHEV with DC charging (outlander) I can count the number of times I have needed or wanted to rapid charge on the fingers on my head :) The best use of a PHEV is charging overnight, or slow charging if you are stopping for 2-3 hours and then the ICE for those longer journeys - DC charging for 30-40 mins for an added 20-30 miles just isnt a good use of time IMO, keep DC chargers for EV's

Its a shame they didn't take the original b250e idea and add a petrol engine to make it a range extender

#7 ·
Re rapids my own view is that anyone using a rapid ought to be limited to an hour's drinking max, and then £10 per 10mins that their car is cabled but has finished charging.

Getting back the MB vs GolfGTE, I don't think there are any other nippy and smart Golf sized PHEVs out there? PHEVs yes maybe ( Ioniq, Prius ) but nippy and smart ?

I suppose the B-class one is aimed at denting sales of the BMW2series ActiveTourer?
A Class aimed at BMW330e, or not quite the same ?

I do like the idea of a REX, it is better than a PHEV and can take away Charger-Availability worries.

#8 ·
One problem with REX is that none of the car makers have a small enough engine that passes all the EU emissions regs, while also being cheap to service/repair and with good reliability.

(I think a REX Ford Transit van is coming out useing a mass macket car engine as its generator.)

#10 ·
Was randomly poking around and found this is now configurable on the Mercedes website, starts at £32,185. Plugged into Carwow and managed to get offers at £31,761 speced in denim blue with the Premium Package (RRP inc options £36,425). Incredibly tempted trading in my '16 Golf GTE

#11 ·
What car was that for the A250 or the other one as I really do like the loom of the A250.

I am not certain this is the correct model by the way. But regardless the A series hatch is a very nice car and would be a nice step up from a Golf GTE

#12 ·
I had the original GTE and now the facelift which I'm driving currently (18 plate).

Due to change next month and I've ordered the a250e premium package. I'm not even interested in the new golf GTE even if it was available! Design has took a nosedive, quality also (cabin looks awful) - so disappointed with the new golfs. Over to MB for me now. Far more attractive choice and my payments will be exactly the same as current golf.

Hopefully this forum will be as useful as the golf GTE one was for tips : )

#13 ·
I had the original GTE and now the facelift which I'm driving currently (18 plate).

Due to change next month and I've ordered the a250e premium package. I'm not even interested in the new golf GTE even if it was available! Design has took a nosedive, quality also (cabin looks awful) - so disappointed with the new golfs. Over to MB for me now. Far more attractive choice and my payments will be exactly the same as current golf.

Hopefully this forum will be as useful as the golf GTE one was for tips : )
I'm kinda in the same boat as you.
Currently got 67 GTE Advance. Goes off lease in November, so need to say what i want to replace it.
I anticipated i'd be going fully electric this time, but VW have nothing, and no other manufacturers seem to have a decent highish spec EV. They all seem to sit below or above a golf in terms of size and spec.

the A250e looks like the answer.
Just a question of Premium or Premium+ ? An extra £17.46 a month for the +

#17 ·
No I think you can still go pure EV mode but my GTE has 5 modes.

E mode - Hybrid - Battery Hold - Battery Charge and of course GTE mode.

I can drive it in GTE mode constantly and it will always keep between 8 and 12 miles in the battery as it tops it up throughout the drive. I just want to know is there a mode on the a250e that does this as well? If I leave it in sport will it always keep battery power in reserve? And if I run out is the ONLY option to plug into a charger? Or can I charge on the go using the ICE? This info seems very hard to confirm!

#18 ·
No I think you can still go pure EV mode but my GTE has 5 modes.

E mode - Hybrid - Battery Hold - Battery Charge and of course GTE mode.

I can drive it in GTE mode constantly and it will always keep between 8 and 12 miles in the battery as it tops it up throughout the drive. I just want to know is there a mode on the a250e that does this as well? If I leave it in sport will it always keep battery power in reserve? And if I run out is the ONLY option to plug into a charger? Or can I charge on the go using the ICE? This info seems very hard to confirm!
Good point on Sport. I hadn’t thought of that and I didn’t use it much in my C350e. It looks like there’s an EL mode to hold in electric but I can’t see anything about charge or e-save. I wonder if anyone can confirm...

#19 ·
Any promotional stuff for the a250e always has on fine print below the pics that the vehicle must be charged via mains electricity. But I know the car can regen power. I just hope there is a way the ice can top it up for peace of mind on long journeys in case you need the full power of both engines as relying on only the 1.4 on the motorway for overtaking etc might be annoying.

#22 ·
How well do people think that a Renault sourced ICE will stand up to the abuse of being part of a hybrid drivetrain? It took VAG a while even with a relatively lowly stressed 1.4 rather than a 1.3 litre.

#24 ·
The engine in the C350e was a 210bhp 2 litre petrol. It sounded horrible, but the integration into the hybrid powertrain was pretty good - very smooth transition between electric and ICE. I thought they’d made the motor more powerful in the A250e than in the C350e, but actually it’s slightly less powerful and the engine is 25% less powerful.

On a different point, they seem to be a bit confused about the fast charging capability. The website says 2-3 hours On a 3-phase AC supply. The e-brochure says it has a 7.4kW onboard charger and it can charge in 1.75/3.25 hours. There’s a note to say they’re assuming a 3-phase supply. They also quite 5.5 hours from a domestic wall socket

Is it me? 90% of 10.5kWh is 9.45kWh:
  • at 7.4kW, that’s 1.5 hours
  • at 11.1kW, that’s 0.9 hours
  • at 3.8kW, that’s 3.8 hours

How do they get 3.25 hours or 5.5 hours?

Maybe the website is written for North America? I’m still puzzled...

#23 ·
One other question. I noted that the right height on the golf GTE was slightly higher due to the change in suspension to accommodate the battery weight. As a result the vehicle seemed to sit higher than the standard golfs which was noticible with the gap in the wheel arches from the top of the tire to the arch. I was wondering, is the A250e the same? I never really liked this look and prefer the car to sit lower and more flush with the arches like the standard ICE models. Does anyone know if this is the case with the a250e saloon?

#25 ·
Arguably a hybrid engine is under far less wear than a regular car.
Sure the engine goes from zero to load quickly, but a regular car is doing that all of the time when you start it and drive it almost immediately.
Plus there is less running wear - oil is not perfect, and bearings and parts wear over time. Less use of the engine = less wear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.