Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm both new to the forum, and new to the world of EV's and am looking for advice please.

I ordered a Mercedes A250e Saloon as a company car back in March, and am still awaiting delivery (Est Del. Dec), but as I am trying to prepare for life with a PHEV I feel that I am really up against it. I ordered the A250e because at the time it was being advertised with DC rapid charging, fast charging etc. As time goes on MB have removed all traces of the DC rapid charging from the UK spec car and any promotional material, from these forums I discovered that never mind rapid charging the car won't even charge at 7.4kW at home unless from a 3-phase supply.

Now onto my real issue, my latest discovery - the car doesn't even support scheduled charging! I have just moved over to Octopus Go in readiness for the car so my question is which of the home smart EV car chargers are able to schedule charging of the A250e between the hours of 00:30 - 04:30? Will this even work with the car, or has MB put further hurdles in the way?

Any real world advice, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
"Cough" Andersen "cough"

I think they might be another that scheduling but it doesn't look as good.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I'm just looking at podpoints guides (one of the best info guides I've ever read) and it might suggest they can charge at 7kw on single phase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok, so I have gone ahead and ordered an Andersen A2.(Supports scheduling, with no cables hanging from side of house).

But what a strange situation, there is so much conflicting information regarding charge rates of the A250e. There is information on the forums suggesting that the car has two single phase 3.6kW chargers so can only charge at home on single phase at 3.6kW which seems to be backed up by MB in the latest brochure. People have contacted MB directly and been told the same, yet there are also “people” (More than one) claiming there single phase charge points charge the car at 7kW Without modifying the cable in any way.

I will have to wait for the car to be delivered before I will find out what rate it will charge at, I’ve got the car for 4 years, so hope I’m not going to be disappointed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone.

I'm both new to the forum, and new to the world of EV's and am looking for advice please.

I ordered a Mercedes A250e Saloon as a company car back in March, and am still awaiting delivery (Est Del. Dec), but as I am trying to prepare for life with a PHEV I feel that I am really up against it. I ordered the A250e because at the time it was being advertised with DC rapid charging, fast charging etc. As time goes on MB have removed all traces of the DC rapid charging from the UK spec car and any promotional material, from these forums I discovered that never mind rapid charging the car won't even charge at 7.4kW at home unless from a 3-phase supply.

Now onto my real issue, my latest discovery - the car doesn't even support scheduled charging! I have just moved over to Octopus Go in readiness for the car so my question is which of the home smart EV car chargers are able to schedule charging of the A250e between the hours of 00:30 - 04:30? Will this even work with the car, or has MB put further hurdles in the way?

Any real world advice, or experience would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
Neil I had exactly the same issue. Been on octopus go for ages and charging a Mitsubishi Outlander phev for 3 years on go. i was able to set the timer on the car so my dumb charger worked fine. Just bought the mb 250e so had same issue. MB have got an offer sept - dec for free by chargemaster wall box so might be worth checking that out with your dealer as these are all smart ( timetable) now . Failing that I would recommend the Ohme charger ( same prices as all the main charger suppliers). This will only Charge your car when the rates cheap so will charge between 0030 - 0430 ( will stop around 0230). If you want to get really jazzy with it ( as I’ve done) change your octopus tariff to agile and it do It all for you. occasionally the electric price drops below zero ( did it last sat) so they PAID me when I was charging the car! Also the dishwasher / washing machine now are timed to come on out of peak periods. Any more questions let me know. You’ll love the a250e

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Neil I had exactly the same issue. Been on octopus go for ages and charging a Mitsubishi Outlander phev for 3 years on go. i was able to set the timer on the car so my dumb charger worked fine. Just bought the mb 250e so had same issue. MB have got an offer sept - dec for free by chargemaster wall box so might be worth checking that out with your dealer as these are all smart ( timetable) now . Failing that I would recommend the Ohme charger ( same prices as all the main charger suppliers). This will only Charge your car when the rates cheap so will charge between 0030 - 0430 ( will stop around 0230). If you want to get really jazzy with it ( as I’ve done) change your octopus tariff to agile and it do It all for you. occasionally the electric price drops below zero ( did it last sat) so they PAID me when I was charging the car! Also the dishwasher / washing machine now are timed to come on out of peak periods. Any more questions let me know. You’ll love the a250e
Hi Blueged thanks for that.

So there are people on other forums claiming 7kW change rates from a single phase supply, so what rate does yours charge at please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fairly sure it’s 7Kw as it charges in 1 hour 30 mins from empty to full . The 15.4KW battery only has a usuable 10.6kw so the maths works out right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi
how have you guys got on with this - just got the car and just moved to Octopus, I have a Pod Point installed at home today.... but can i schedule a charging time with app or something???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Is your podpoint a smart charger so you can schedule a charge time? I’ve got the ohme intelligent ev charger plugged into a dumb bpchargemaster. It works in conjunction with octopus agile and only charges at the cheapest times . The charge rates is 7.4kw but it will sometimes limit this to anything between 1.4kw - 7.4kw if it had enough of a charge window ( set by me) to be kind on the battery.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Ok so finally got my Andersen A2 installed and Octopus Go up and running. The good news is I can charge my A250e at 7 kW, and also schedule charging to take advantage of the cheaper rate electricity 00:30 - 4:30.

Edit: Spoke too soon. When car is connected to charge unit but no power i.e charge scheduled for later, I get constant "Charge error" notifications from Mercedes Me on my mobile. Anyone else experienced the same please?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Charge interrupted messages from me app sometimes but I ignore and let the ohme do its stuff. The only issue I have is I often get max charge of around 39 miles indicated on me app when smart charging. If I plug in dumb charger it immediately jumps up to 44. Did used to wind me up but decided to live with it as my longest usual journeys are about 35 miles.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Charge interrupted messages from me app sometimes but I ignore and let the ohme do its stuff. The only issue I have is I often get max charge of around 39 miles indicated on me app when smart charging. If I plug in dumb charger it immediately jumps up to 44. Did used to wind me up but decided to live with it as my longest usual journeys are about 35 miles.
Thanks. I'm not sure whether I should just ignore the notification or not. Hopefully should be fully charged for the morning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so finally got my Andersen A2 installed and Octopus Go up and running. The good news is I can charge my A250e at 7 kW, and also schedule charging to take advantage of the cheaper rate electricity 00:30 - 4:30.

Edit: Spoke too soon. When car is connected to charge unit but no power i.e charge scheduled for later, I get constant "Charge error" notifications from Mercedes Me on my mobile. Anyone else experienced the same please?
Looks good though!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks. I'm not sure whether I should just ignore the notification or not. Hopefully should be fully charged for the morning.
How have you been getting on Neil, regards the app messages and successful charging?

I need to change my electric supplier this week and was going to use Octopus Go. Initially was going to get the Ohme charger as I knew it could schedule charges but its a bit ugly in my opinion.

I had thought PodPoint did scheduling but got an email from them this morning saying they don't but it's something their looking into as it's a software thing.

The Andersen unit looks amazing but don't want to be spending that much as I can charge in work and I don't think we'll be in this house for 4+yrs.

So an update of how you've gotten on would be very welcome!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
How have you been getting on Neil, regards the app messages and successful charging?

I need to change my electric supplier this week and was going to use Octopus Go. Initially was going to get the Ohme charger as I knew it could schedule charges but its a bit ugly in my opinion.

I had thought PodPoint did scheduling but got an email from them this morning saying they don't but it's something their looking into as it's a software thing.

The Andersen unit looks amazing but don't want to be spending that much as I can charge in work and I don't think we'll be in this house for 4+yrs.

So an update of how you've gotten on would be very welcome!
Still getting the notifications. Andersen say its just that the car is expecting a charge when the cable is plugged in, and obviously it won't get one until the scheduled time. It is difficult to get a definitive response from MB, however my local dealership say there is no harm being done to the car but will raise it with MB.

On the upside the Andersen A2 and Konnect+ App have been flawless. It charges the car whenever you want it to every time, and the app has plenty reports and graphs of charge times and costs to keep track of things. Its great for Octopus Go because you can enter the two different rates, and the times that they are applicable so that the app takes these into account when calculating costs etc.

It is expensive but I wanted something that had charge scheduling, was monitored over WiFi - not SIM card or proprietary radio network, and the most important looked ok on the outside of the house.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts