Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Conflicted Ecoworrier/Petrolhead
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the specs say it's posibble - but there's no tow kit on the option list. Anyone had any info from delaers or 3rd party suppliers on options?

On most of my cars I've always had a removable towbar fitted, both for bike rack and the 6x4x4 box trailer I use instead of knackering the car interior. I've also got a braked 2700kg trailer for business use doing events though suspended due to covid. With payload I take the A250e can still pull it, though the range will be totalled. The PAssat GTE I had before would get 25mpg when it was empty!. Luckily I'm not doing long distances regularly with that one.

Makes the 250e my favoured option now. Leasing is under £300+VAT. Bik 6%. Purchase cost only £32,000. So about £360 / year for me.
Assuming I can get hold of one.

Would love a Tesla 3, but as a Hatchback, and towing is not their best feature, pulling 750gks in a trailer to Le Mans or South coast from Brum. And if the lease rates reflected residuals I'd go for it. But £500/month for a car that loses no more than £10k over 3 years... think they have to price in risk of devlautaion even if it doesnt. ?
Not ready to purchase yet as battery tech is changing too often. I think in 3 years time they'll have over 400 miles - or cost a lot less. Or I'll get a Cybertruck ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the specs say it's posibble - but there's no tow kit on the option list. Anyone had any info from delaers or 3rd party suppliers on options?

On most of my cars I've always had a removable towbar fitted, both for bike rack and the 6x4x4 box trailer I use instead of knackering the car interior. I've also got a braked 2700kg trailer for business use doing events though suspended due to covid. With payload I take the A250e can still pull it, though the range will be totalled. The PAssat GTE I had before would get 25mpg when it was empty!. Luckily I'm not doing long distances regularly with that one.

Makes the 250e my favoured option now. Leasing is under £300+VAT. Bik 6%. Purchase cost only £32,000. So about £360 / year for me.
Assuming I can get hold of one.

Would love a Tesla 3, but as a Hatchback, and towing is not their best feature, pulling 750gks in a trailer to Le Mans or South coast from Brum. And if the lease rates reflected residuals I'd go for it. But £500/month for a car that loses no more than £10k over 3 years... think they have to price in risk of devlautaion even if it doesnt. ?
Not ready to purchase yet as battery tech is changing too often. I think in 3 years time they'll have over 400 miles - or cost a lot less. Or I'll get a Cybertruck ;)
Hi.
I stumbled on this post and joined just to reply. (I used to run a caravan forum)
Is this a serious question?
Sorry, but I have to ask. You want to tow 1600Kg with a car of a Kerb weight of 1680?
You also mention a braked trailer of 2700? This would be a 200+ % match. That’s just bonkers, and would likely invalidate your insurance.
Have you checked to see if that car is even homologated to tow?
If you have no GTW/MAM figure stamped on the VIN plate, you cannot tow anything with the car. It would be illegal and your insurance is void.

If it is homologated to tow, the figures on the plate will give you the limits. Most 3rd party tow bar sites will tell you if you enter the reg of specifics of the car. You will always find a tow bar that fits, the chassis are standard, and you’d probably find someone to fit it. But......

Sorry if I misunderstood your post and this is not what you meant.

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi.
I stumbled on this post and joined just to reply. (I used to run a caravan forum)
Is this a serious question?
Sorry, but I have to ask. You want to tow 1600Kg with a car of a Kerb weight of 1680?
You also mention a braked trailer of 2700? This would be a 200+ % match. That’s just bonkers, and would likely invalidate your insurance.
Have you checked to see if that car is even homologated to tow?
If you have no GTW/MAM figure stamped on the VIN plate, you cannot tow anything with the car. It would be illegal and your insurance is void.

If it is homologated to tow, the figures on the plate will give you the limits. Most 3rd party tow bar sites will tell you if you enter the reg of specifics of the car. You will always find a tow bar that fits, the chassis are standard, and you’d probably find someone to fit it. But......

Sorry if I misunderstood your post and this is not what you meant.
Yes, thecar is rated to tow, ints in the specs for the A250e. I wont be ordering anything till I get confirmation theres a tow bar available.

The trailer is rated to 2700kgs, doesn't mean I pull that much. It's mostly electronics in flight cases which are mostly air. All up it's under 1500kgs ... but more than a Tesla 3 can pull. But was ok for my Passat. I put the heaviest bits like the subwoofers in the Passat when towing to keep to the 85%, though that was a heavier car anyway. 1780kgs.

The A250e is rated for 1600kgs, but will need to be loaded up before attempting that mix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Yes, thecar is rated to tow, ints in the specs for the A250e. I wont be ordering anything till I get confirmation theres a tow bar available.

The trailer is rated to 2700kgs, doesn't mean I pull that much. It's mostly electronics in flight cases which are mostly air. All up it's under 1500kgs ... but more than a Tesla 3 can pull. But was ok for my Passat. I put the heaviest bits like the subwoofers in the Passat when towing to keep to the 85%, though that was a heavier car anyway. 1780kgs.

The A250e is rated for 1600kgs, but will need to be loaded up before attempting that mix.
Ahh, ok. I get it.
What trim level is the car? If it’s a Premium Plus with the sun roof, it’s not plated to tow. The weight of the batteries, glass, and a trailer would exceed the weight limit for the rear axle. The model lines are all capable of towing, but not every derivative in a model line is. Cabriolets for instance are usually not homologated to tow as the structural strength isn’t adequate and the body would flex too much. Some newer ones now are, but it’s still not the norm.
Checking your VIN will confirm, if it lists a Gross Train Weight and or Maximum Allowable Mass, your good to go. If it’s blank, or dashed out, your not.

Speak to Tow Trust. If there is a bar kit available, they will do it. And their bars require the least amount of bumper cut.

(I am not affiliated with Tow Trust in any way)

Good luck.
:)

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ahh, ok. I get it.
What trim level is the car? If it’s a Premium Plus with the sun roof, it’s not plated to tow. The weight of the batteries, glass, and a trailer would exceed the weight limit for the rear axle. The model lines are all capable of towing, but not every derivative in a model line is. Cabriolets for instance are usually not homologated to tow as the structural strength isn’t adequate and the body would flex too much. Some newer ones now are, but it’s still not the norm.
Checking your VIN will confirm, if it lists a Gross Train Weight and or Maximum Allowable Mass, your good to go. If it’s blank, or dashed out, your not.

Speak to Tow Trust. If there is a bar kit available, they will do it. And their bars require the least amount of bumper cut.

(I am not affiliated with Tow Trust in any way)

Good luck.
:)
Funnily Enough I live 5 miles from tow trust and they've fitted all my tow bars, from my current Focus, Passat GTE, Merc Vito so pinged them a mail yesterday. However, I've been doing shopping looiking at lease rates, VED, BiK and delivery times. Think I'm going to swap the crappy 1.6i Focus auto I kept for a 2011-14 2.0TDi Passat for towing duty (2000kgs) and lease a Renault Zoe for 2 years working at £3,500 a year total cost inc taxes and leccy. The Zoe can manage 95% of my miles and the Passat the holidays and towing stuff. And I can keep the Passat - about £5k max, should get me decent spec and miles. When the Telsa Y is here I'll have another look. Might even offer us the Cybertruck - which can pull anything. About 5 tonnes IIRC (B+E license permitting).

·
Registered
1 Posts
I can answer half your question, as i'd enquired on it with dealers. Although there is an MB factory-fit towbar produced for the A250e, it's not an option that can be ordered in the UK! So it would have to be 3rd party.

@SG94 - thanks for sharing all the details on homologination for towing. I'd been considering whether to put a towbar on my A250e and hadn't been able to find too much information so far. I'll have to wait until I have the VIN available and see what it says... as i've ordered the Prem Plus, I won't expect too much ;)

·
3,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can answer half your question, as i'd enquired on it with dealers. Although there is an MB factory-fit towbar produced for the A250e, it's not an option that can be ordered in the UK! So it would have to be 3rd party.
Thanks for the tip. I think I'll be happy to order and cross my fingers... worse case scenario is I'll do what I was going to do if I chose the Renault Zoe lease as an option... get an older Passat diesel (11-14) as a tow car. Then I can keep it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts