Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys I’m looking to purchase a used Audi A3 Etron (2014/2015/2016), it would have between 50k-100k miles on it. Is there anything I should look out for when looking at a car. It will be the first electric/plug in/hybrid car I will have owned so would like some tips on what to look out for when purchasing a used car. I assume it is generally a reliable car, but would like some info on common faults ect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've had my 2017MY car since December 2019 now. A few things i've found are.
1. My car was registered after April 2017 and cost over £40k when new so the tax was £455 (quite a shock when i thought it was going to be £30)
2. Don't expect the car to do more than 20 miles on electric in winter (mine only does about 13-15) i haven't used it because of COVID so not sure exactly what it does in the warmer weather.
3. The boot is quite a bit smaller than a regular A3, if you have got young kids who need a pushchair then you wont get much more in it.
4. Roof rails can NOT be retrofitted. I have bought roof bars and roof box for when we go away.
5. My car was still under manufacturers warranty but i purchased a RAC 2 year warranty for when it ran out.
6. I don't know when it changed but my car is to new to put it in brake regeneration mode and it stays in it (earlier cars you could knock the gear lever across and pull back and it would regen every time you were on the over run) When you go on the MMI screen there will be 4 driving modes / mine only has 3.

Im very brand loyal (have a S2 Coupe and S6 Estates, 5 cylinder engines) so might be a bit biased but in general its a very good car, only things that let it down are lack of electric range and luggage space (depending on your personal circumstance you might not find it a concern)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Also look at the VW GTE forum, they use the same running gear so any drive train faults will be the same (there are more GTE's than E-trons i think)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice, I’m changing from a 2015 A class which doesn’t have the biggest boot, I’m not tooo fussed but a large boot is a plus for when it is needed.

I didn’t know about the tax thing so will be looking in to it. How is the car to drive without the electric range as I’m sure it will run out with the driving I do. What’s the MPG like once the electric range runs out

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
If you avoid it getting to real zero miles in the battery, ie down to 3-4, then manually put in to Hybrid , you can get upper 50s.

Long 150+ mile trip don’t bother with that let it run out and kick in automatically to hybrid, you get low 50s.

The drivetrain attempts to self charge the battery from 0 back up to 3 ish, and during this time tthe he mpg is absolute pants. Do that everyday on a 30mile trip and it will pull down your weekly mpg figure badly.
This is why motoring magazines say they only got low 40s when the battery has run out —— they reset the trip computer when the GOM says zero and drive it 5 -10 miles and write that up.

Also check any car you get has 2 cables supplied.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice, are the 2 cables the same or different, what are the uses of the 2 cables if they’re different.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
2 cables. One is known as the Granny brick as it has a transformer “brick” and you use this one to plug in at home to a domestic 13amp 3pin socket.
The other cable is called a type 2 and you”ll use that on a post at a Retail / Business / Car park or a Sainsbury’s / Tesco’s or a purpose installed home point that is installed without a tethered cable..

BMW supply the granny brick one but not the type2 , but VAG products should come with both.
They are not cheap....

·
Registered
2 Posts
We have just got a 2015 etron. I'm really pleased with it, the only thing not working is the connect services. It's is free to tax 😃

We have done about 400 Miles in it so far and about 90% on electric so the tank of petrol that I put in when we bought it is going to last a long time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've had my 2017MY car since December 2019 now. A few things i've found are.
1. My car was registered after April 2017 and cost over £40k when new so the tax was £455 (quite a shock when i thought it was going to be £30)
2. Don't expect the car to do more than 20 miles on electric in winter (mine only does about 13-15) i haven't used it because of COVID so not sure exactly what it does in the warmer weather.
3. The boot is quite a bit smaller than a regular A3, if you have got young kids who need a pushchair then you wont get much more in it.
4. Roof rails can NOT be retrofitted. I have bought roof bars and roof box for when we go away.
5. My car was still under manufacturers warranty but i purchased a RAC 2 year warranty for when it ran out.
6. I don't know when it changed but my car is to new to put it in brake regeneration mode and it stays in it (earlier cars you could knock the gear lever across and pull back and it would regen every time you were on the over run) When you go on the MMI screen there will be 4 driving modes / mine only has 3.

Im very brand loyal (have a S2 Coupe and S6 Estates, 5 cylinder engines) so might be a bit biased but in general its a very good car, only things that let it down are lack of electric range and luggage space (depending on your personal circumstance you might not find it a concern)
ive looked at few cars and when searching on my car check the cost of tax comes as £140 for 12 months.
How did you get stung with £455??

1 - 10 of 10 Posts