Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am totally confused looking through the Audi A3 e-tron information I can find about the charging options for this car. The top level explanation says 4 hours charging time from a domestic plug, 2 hours 15 minutes from a specific charging point at home - and it also says you can charge whilst out on the road at charging posts. Elsewhere (in the spec pdf) it says all THREE (my emphasis) cables needed are supplied with the car.

Does that mean it has a 32amp charging capability for home use (as well as standard domestic plug) which is what it uses whilst out and about?

Why are three cables needed?

·
Registered
36 Posts
You've been misinformed. The car will come equipped with cabling to support three types of charging. Not three cables.
Take care when specifying the sort of home charging unit you order, seek advice to ensure you match the cars maximum charging capacity. In other word, 16amp or 30 amp, tethered or untethered.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You've been misinformed. The car will come equipped with cabling to support three types of charging. Not three cables.
Take care when specifying the sort of home charging unit you order, seek advice to ensure you match the cars maximum charging capacity. In other word, 16amp or 30 amp, tethered or untethered.
I still don't understand - what are the three types of charging being referred to? I presume 10 amp (standard 3 pin) is the one that they claim takes 4 hours to recharge, but then how do you get 2 hours 15 minutes - what rating is that as straight calculation would say 17.7 amps?, and then what would be the third type of charging?

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
Yes, the only refer on the website to "3-pin socket" and "charge point".

So just the two cables - the same cable can be used on a (socketed) home charge point as a public charge point.

It only draws 16 amps so even a freebie home charge point will be enough - but not future proof for cars with bigger batteries (or if you want to charge faster than 2 hours 15 minutes)

Their 10 amp versus 16 amp calculation doesn't seem to be totally accurate, more than likely the "10 amp" option only actually draws 8 amps. Need to check how much of the battery it actually lets you use as "full capacity". Ah, here we are ; http://ukevse.org.uk/charge-points-chargers/charge-point-compatability/

You only have an 8.8 kWh battery. You can work the rest out from there :)

But definitely only draws 16 amps. Just like the Ampera but with only 2/3 the battery, so you can do some sums from their real world experience.

·
Registered
8,100 Posts
It seems to me the e-tron and the VW GTE are optimised for hybrid driving, not EV only. Electric motor and ICE complement each other to provide smooth torque curve from standstill. I'm not expecting too much from the electric motor alone.

·
Super Moderator
5,937 Posts
Yes, the only refer on the website to "3-pin socket" and "charge point".

So just the two cables - the same cable can be used on a (socketed) home charge point as a public charge point.

It only draws 16 amps so even a freebie home charge point will be enough - but not future proof for cars with bigger batteries (or if you want to charge faster than 2 hours 15 minutes)

Their 10 amp versus 16 amp calculation doesn't seem to be totally accurate, more than likely the "10 amp" option only actually draws 8 amps. Need to check how much of the battery it actually lets you use as "full capacity". Ah, here we are ; http://ukevse.org.uk/charge-points-chargers/charge-point-compatability/

You only have an 8.8 kWh battery. You can work the rest out from there :)

But definitely only draws 16 amps. Just like the Ampera but with only 2/3 the battery, so you can do some sums from their real world experience.

More like 7/8 of the battery of an Ampera, the Vauxhall only lets you use about 9.7-10.2 kWh of its battery

1 - 8 of 8 Posts