Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 186 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, my salesman sent me a video message showing the A3 e-tron on display. Audi Chingford are starting test drives on the weekend, which is the official UK launch day.
2014-12-04 17.15.22.jpg

I had a little look and when that charger bag is in the boot you have no space left! There were three cables, the domestic charge, which is huge!
2014-12-04 16.55.37.jpg

; the type 2 yellow cable and another cable I don't know. I took a picture, can you explain what it is and when you would use it?
2014-12-04 16.55.49.jpg

I was told I have a build date of week 8 and a estimated delivery date in March! I was also told the customers who have ordered before launch would be getting a build date of 8 and new orders from week 12

·
Registered
536 Posts
The last one looks like a 32a 3 phase plug, we use them for our refrigerated vehicles at night, not sure why it would be any use to most people. I'm guessing it means there's 7kw charging on-board?

I guess in Europe they might have more 3 phase available so maybe meant for use on the continent.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have a test drive booked for tomorrow. Cables is one of my questions.

I did have a brief look over one the weekend before last - and the boot has a false floor (as does the normal A3). Its not as deep as normal A3 (so I assume that is where the 100litres disappeared), but it was deep enough to hold the cables as that is where I found them.

The showroom car had the large E-Tron sign on the side. I don't know whether that is just a temporary sign or whether it comes with the production vehicles - I sure hope not.

I think the charger is only 3.3Kw - otherwise the charging times (4 hrs domestic plug, 2 hours 15 minutes for wall charger) don't make sense. That also ties in with the common platform being used by Audi and VW - and the eGolf which only has a 3.3Kw charger. I an not that up on different charging cables - but isn't that a type 2, which is the same for both 16amp (3.3kw) and 32amp(7kw).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hello,
That last plug is a 3 phase commando plug, what connector was on the other end?
Also what I've noticed is the information sticker on the evse block, stating an input current of 16a, a bit misleading when you should only be pulling a maximum of 13 amps from a 3 pin plug.

I ordered my Audi A3 E-tron just under a month ago and have yet to be given a build week, mine was ordered through a salary sacrifice car lease scheme at work, so I'm not dealing with the dealer directly.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
@Steve Petersen The commando plug had a rectangular block block on the other side.

No the graphics won't be on the side. Imagine if it did haha.

That charger won't fit under the floor unfortunately. There is also a bag for the jack which was in the boot as well. That needs to be stored somewhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I ordered my A3 e-tron on 9th September. At the time I was being quoted a delivery date of late January. Since then it has been a bit quiet, but the salesman called today, no date but hints about March...

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@Capybara may saleman says that all pre-orders from the uk were given a build week of week 8-11 and arrivals of March onwards. Any new orders will be week 12 onwards

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hmm, bit disappointing I imagine?
Indeed. There also seems to be a wealth of ignorance about the type of home charger needed. On the basis of information from the EV manufacturers list I've ordered a Chargemaster 16A type 2 tethered charger. But nobody at Audi seems able or willing to confirm this is the right one!

·
Registered
330 Posts
Indeed. There also seems to be a wealth of ignorance about the type of home charger needed. On the basis of information from the EV manufacturers list I've ordered a Chargemaster 16A type 2 tethered charger. But nobody at Audi seems able or willing to confirm this is the right one!
I'd be interested in someone more knowledgeable than me commenting, but as far as I have been able to work out, mainly from the "build your own portable EVSE" you tube video with @Kevin Sharpe and others, it is clear that what you refer to
as a "charger" isn't - that is in the car. The box on the wall is in essence a Circuit Breaker (RCB) which will trip on overload or leakage to earth, a Contactor (a switch controlled by a signal) and an EPC - a module which talks the common EV protocol to negotiate with the car and tells it (I presume) the maximum current it can draw. If they agree the EPC tells the contactor to switch on - and current flows (provided the RCB doesn't trip).

The connection between the wall box and the car can be anything you want at the wall box end. A cable (ie tethered with a plug suitable for the car) or a socket (Type 2 being one option) which would then use a separate cable (either the one that comes with the car for the public charge points or another purchased separately).

From You Tube videos of the E-Tron to connector at the car end is a type 2. From the specs I would say the maximum current draw is 16amps - although of course the EVSE in the domestic plug cable will have been configured to tell the car the maximum is less. So what you have ordered appears fine.

I am close to ordering the E-Tron myself - although my plan was to get a 32amp with socket for the wall box, provided I can get the grant for it - since that gives flexibility in the future - for when my wife gets a BEV - to be able to use that for her car and charge at the 7.xKW rate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am close to ordering the E-Tron myself - although my plan was to get a 32amp with socket for the wall box, provided I can get the grant for it - since that gives flexibility in the future - for when my wife gets a BEV - to be able to use that for her car and charge at the 7.xKW rate.
The one thing I did get out of Audi was not use a 32A charge point, although I can't see why as one would expect the car to be intelligent enough to take only as many amps as it could handle. Also, I'm guessing many public chargepoints will be 32A - are we not supposed to use them? So probably that was just misinformation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just spoke to the Audi salesman here. He said NO builds have yet been scheduled, Audi are currently working out the schedule and putting them in "priority order". One hopes this means earliest orders first, rather than most impatient customers first! The earliest possible date would be week 8 but don't hold your breath.

·
Registered
330 Posts
I have to wait about 3 weeks yet in order to be sure I have the cash flow to afford it (with all the extras I want)

·
Registered
36 Posts
I ordered mine (monsoon grey) on 29 August. The latest date that I have been given is wk 10, although 11 and 13 have also been mentioned.

Sold my A3 cab in October and am currently borrowing my son's Leaf, but that goes back in early Feb.

Perhaps I need to be more impatient just incase they aren't prioritised by date ordered?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered my e-tron 9th September and was given a confirmed week 8 build date in November. Was told when I ordered it I should get it in January but things seemed to have slipped back by the looks of things. Not all bad I suppose as it'll be a 15 plate now at least. I was told when I took the demo out just before Christmas that if you order now you're looking at June/July delivery dates. I also ordered my chargepoint today which is being installed next Friday. I've just gone for the Chargemaster 16amp that's covered by the government grant. For £95 you can upgrade to the 32amp but I didn't see the point to be honest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have learnt a lot today.

I ordered my car from the dealership on 29 August - and have discovered today that Audi confirmed the order on 2 October. How can it take over a month for Audi to confirm the order?????

Apparently, although I ordered my vehicle in good faith, expecting it to get into the build schedule asap, Birmingham Audi did not receive their vehicle allocation until September 15, when they actioned my order. It then took another two weeks for Audi to accept it.

We are still have an estimated build week of 12 - yes it has slipped back again
and I can't see me taking delivery before mid April at the erliest

Talking to Audi UK today, they are only committing BW 7, as we speak. Anyone who has been promised a delivery by their dealer within the next few weeks (or months), I should check.

As you can imagine, I am not a happy bunny. I do still want the e-tron, but am loosing patience. At the moment I am talking to Audi about a loan vehicle to tide me over as I loose my borrowed wheels next month.

1 - 20 of 186 Posts