Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

201 - 220 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Car returned. Fixed under warranty , quoted "5F Control unit defective" . This is the dual sim card reader that is also the main control unit for the MMI unit I was told. Dealer tested with 6 different SIM cards and all seems good. Hooray

·
Registered
3 Posts
So i thought I'd make a thread where e-tron owners can discuss their experiences with the car, both good and bad.

I've had my e-tron for about two weeks now, and I'm really pleased. I mostly do short drives, so I haven't refuelled since I got the car with a full tank, which is really awesome since I've spent fortunes on gas before. I have to charge it every day, sometimes two times a day, but hopefully the electricity bill won't go bonkers.

Something I've had some issues with:
- There are no warnings if you accidentally forget to close the charging port. I've driven around several times and suddenly realised that I forgot the damn port.
- The charging unit is big and bulky, especially if you put it in and out of your car several times a day.
- There's no obvious way to mount or hang the charging unit, or am I missing something?
- I find the "touch" locking feature to be a bit laggy, but it always works after a couple of tries.
- The two-zoned AC doesn't seem to regulate both sides when changing the temperature.

Here's an issue I am trying to see if anyone has:

Issue: Brake Servio Alert Goes On > RPM Max Alert (while driving 30 mph) > Car Rattles > Car Gets Really Loud > Car Immediately Shuts Down

#1 Fix: Diagnostic Test Says No Issue
#2 Fix: Replace Computer
#3 Fix: Diagnosed Short Circuiting, which they apparently Fixed.
#4 Fix: TBD

I am on the #4 Fix, since my car broke down yesterday in the streets while a Honda Accord almost plummeted into my car that potentially could have been an accident. I would disagree with user 5x112 who said I shouldnt worry and be more understandable. Not when your car now more than qualifies as a lemon vehicle and almost got into two accidents––thank god it did not happen on the freeway. Additionally, is it normal for me to fear for my life that I might die on the Los Angeles 405 or 110 freeway.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I sympathize with you on your issues but I doubt the vast majority of us will consider our e-trons a piece of sh!t.
Or maybe I just speak for myself. I've had mine for just about 6 months, driven 12,000 kms and aside from the B&O system having a little technical issue, I've had no issues.
The biggest problem that I'm reading about the e-trons are with the SIM card and Audi Connect.
I hope Audi U.S. will resolve your issues or compensate you for them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've had mine a week but so far everything is just as I hoped. Ran it hard and fast on the highway and got 34+ mpg (no battery and I'm just assuming I had a full tank from the dealer). That was driving 80+ mph and then sitting in traffic for 30-45 minutes.

Driving back and forth to work, and to lunch, I've run almost all battery. The apps have both worked from the beginning. The build quality and ride is noticeably better than my VW Jetta Sportwagen. All around I'm a satisfied customer.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yes MDPlatts, that was me!

Prontouk, this is exactly what happened to mine and it was one of the first in a long line of problems I've had with my car unfortunately. I was without data, so no Google Maps or online services, for over a month whilst they tried to sort it out. Unfortunately when I took my car to Bristol Audi, I had to show them where the SIM card went, so I knew it wasn't going to be easy!

They eventually ended up replacing the whole MMI unit, but this unfortunately led to the next problem which they still haven't fixed. The new MMI came with new software which has screwed up my sound system. I've only got the standard audio in mine, but when I turn the volume up to around 20 or so, it goes really crackly and there is no bass at all. I can perform a soft reset (menu + touchpad button + top right selection) and it will sort it out, but every time I turn the car off and back on it will be broken again.

This problem was discovered on December 20th, but despite 3 or 4 trips to the garage and MANY discussions with Audi UK Customer Relations, this is still not fixed. They've narrowed it down to a software bug with the new MMI, but they can't roll the software back and seemingly are in no rush to fix it. Apparently they've stopped installing that software in cars now, but it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that they haven't been able to do anything with it. Plus, despite now having well over 6 months of continuous problems with the car, there has not been a single offer of goodwill for my trouble.

I'm now in negotiations with VWFS about rejecting the car and ending my PCP as in the 1 year I've had the car, it's had problems for over half of it. Real shame as I love the car, but Audi's handling of it and the apparent complete lack of understanding about the technology is unacceptable.

Hope you have more luck than me!
Hi Ross,

Did you get anywhere with this, I now have Audi UK saying I have to go back to the dealership and reject my vehicle as they can not provide any compensation what so ever. This is annoying as I am then out of pocket and my ETron fits my drive perfectly but its just riddled with faults.

I had the same engine light issue the same as you in the cold weather, in the end mine was a coolant sensor. They did this before the same as you and replacing the dash but it brought other faults with it :(

·
Registered
959 Posts
2 issues, maybe linked.

1. The active lane assist that I paid for hasn't worked. I took that as part of the pack for the ACC, which works, so I waited for the year to end to bring the car to them. They updated the software, and it still does nothing.
2. The radio stations keep on changing by themselves. I also mentioned that, and they told me the software update should solve it. It now switches radio about 50 times in my 30 min commute.

It wastes a few hours of my time each time I go see the dealers, and my experience with Audi is that people are very polite and completely useless, so I'm reluctant to waste that time. This is my first Audi, and most probably my last. Paying more for good service is ok, but paying more for smiles and politeness without actually getting help isn't for me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It stinks to read these problems. My car has run well for the month I've had it. Last tank was 60mpg and I figure this tank will be much higher. It fits my driving profile very well. No glitches that I've noticed. The e-tron app works as designed. The MMI Connect app doesn't seem to completely connect to my car, but I'm not sure what I'd use that for that I can't use the e-tron app for. Web access for both work well.

So far, the car has been exactly as expected, if not better. Ride/drive quality is better than my Sportwagen (as it should be). I like the way it's laid out on the interior. Everything is fine by me to this point.

I will say I'm leasing partly to allay any reliability concerns. For the life of my lease, I'll be under a full warranty and I added Audi Care for all the maintenance. The only thing I'd have to pay for would be damage I caused or tires. I figure this will protect me from any major problems down the road. In three years, hopefully I can pick up an Allroad with a 50 mile battery.

BTW, when I was first shopping the e-tron, I ran into a guy from work at the dealer. He was telling me how all he's driven his adult life were VW products (he's 70 years old). He was extolling the virtue of VWs past and Audis past and current. He drives an A6. I asked why he was there. He said he was in to get the engine replaced on his A6 after it blew at 60k miles. It was under warranty. :O

·
Registered
3 Posts
Car returned. Fixed under warranty , quoted "5F Control unit defective" . This is the dual sim card reader that is also the main control unit for the MMI unit I was told. Dealer tested with 6 different SIM cards and all seems good. Hooray
And is the SIM reader still working? 30 days into my ownership the SIM card stopped working. Took it in and they could find no fault (after talking with some central corp service line) and they had no spare activated SIMs to try. They told me to get a new SIM from Audi/AT&T and see what happened. Took a week to get the SIM but it came and I tried it and still no go (which I knew would happen). Made another appointment and took it in. Total 2 weeks since initial appointment. They gave me a gasser A3 sedan as a loaner and had the car all day. They said they spent the whole day working on it with assistance from Audi Germany and that the MMI control unit needed to be replaced (don't remember if that is what they called it but that's what it was). Took 3 weeks and a day to get it in and did not have my appointment until 4 weeks since the last appointment (I was busy). Took it in and they gave me a gas Q3 loaner and around lunch called me to say it was all in. Picked it up before they closed and it has been working since. Of course, my SiriusXM satellite system no longer works since the radio ID changed. I am still in the free trial but the traffic is supposed the be 4 years free in the US so I will have to call Sirius to sort this out. Crossing my fingers that it stays working, though if it happens to me 4 times under Utah law it could be considered a lemon and I can try and wrangle credit towards a 2017 Prestige trim e-tron :)

Otherwise the car has been working great for 3000 miles and 2 2/3 months. Been getting around 20 miles in good weather with light foot under EV power, and 76% of my overall driving, after the initial 700 miles to get it home from where I bought it, has been under EV power.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Whilst I've definitely seen an improvement in the stated number of miles post charging during the warmer months of summer, the figures still seem strangely inconsistent. Sometimes I'll get a charge of up to the maximum c. 31 miles, other times I'll get more like 24, and in similar temperatures. Why such disparity? Same for everyone?
The miles it says for EV power is its estimate for a full battery based on your previous driving history as far as I can tell. It is not the actual miles to be expected. Rather lame. I'd rather just have a good battery meter that tells me the level of charge left.

Mine ranges from 22 miles to 29 miles depending on the trip or two before it and how they went.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the etron since July of 2016, now the locking for the charge port is no longer working, have to leave the Audi logo open and drive! Thank God they have the rubber port cover, hate to to think what damage it is doing to the port with all the salt here in Toronto during the Winter if that was not there.

Car is scheduled for the weekend at the dealership, let see what they say.

·
Registered
7 Posts
How does the car perform when the battery is low in hybrid auto? Do you still get the rated acceleration? Concerned that after a long journey you'd end up with a heavy car with only the 1.4L ICE doing all the hard work.
I never had a totally drained battery. I left London with a full battery and arrived in Burnley with a full battery. However as I left Burnley I used the battery for 10 miles to get up the hills. I ended up with 4 miles by the time I got back to London. So I never really got to test the boost function.

What mpg did you get on your journey?[/QUOTE]
I just finished a two day road trip in my brand new Etron. I drained the battery both days. No EV mode available part way thru the trip. As someone else posted, then you are left with a 1400cc motor powering a very heavy car. Sluggish passing and probably working the engine pretty hard. I got 39mpg on the nose. Not great, ok I guess. Yesterday was the first city driving day. All hybrid mode and was shocked how quickly the battery went down.

Have to say, I am not impressed with the car at this point. Am sure there is some learning curve. But right now I feel like I paid a lot of money for a hybrid whose EV mode seems quite limited.

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
I just finished a two day road trip in my brand new Etron. I drained the battery both days. No EV mode available part way thru the trip. As someone else posted, then you are left with a 1400cc motor powering a very heavy car. Sluggish passing and probably working the engine pretty hard. I got 39mpg on the nose. Not great, ok I guess. Yesterday was the first city driving day. All hybrid mode and was shocked how quickly the battery went down.

Have to say, I am not impressed with the car at this point. Am sure there is some learning curve. But right now I feel like I paid a lot of money for a hybrid whose EV mode seems quite limited.
If you describe your average journey, we can give you tips on getting the best consumption.

·
Registered
306 Posts
To get best mpg in the etron there are a few things I learned. Up hill using the EV eats electric. If I know that the journey will be hilly I run on electric to get the gauge to 75% and then switch to battery hold. Hybrid seems to work best with battery at 50%-75%. Never run with battery at 0-25%if or 75%-100% you want best hybrid mode. Then when you get to within electric range of a charge point switch to electric.

I also found the mpg improved after about 6 tanks of petrol. I know they say you don't need to run cars in these days but I still find mpg improves with use.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had the etron since July of 2016, now the locking for the charge port is no longer working, have to leave the Audi logo open and drive! Thank God they have the rubber port cover, hate to to think what damage it is doing to the port with all the salt here in Toronto during the Winter if that was not there.

Car is scheduled for the weekend at the dealership, let see what they say.
Update, this might be some sort of design fault, there are new parts available, but have to be ordered from Germany, it's going to take 2-3 weeks for them to arrive.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys - new to this forum as I've just been searching for issues with the car and this page came up. I've had quite a few issues with mine - some ranging from little bugs I didn't mind to some damn right dangerous.

Apart from the bug bears mentioned in here such as the charger cover having no warning
-Car currently doesn't have any functioning Wipers - they're attached but no movement and just a massive warning light
-Auto Headlights have a issue and doesn't work
-engine warning light has been on twice in 1 month now
-Charger plug blew up (audi wasn't interested in fixing and instead want £700 for a new plug despite it being a fault fuse)
- interior lights use to flicker switching between engines, was patched after i brought it up
-very very jumpy when switching between power modes, to the point if I pull off the power isn't there for a good second or two

** Little edit, did anyone else get annoyed when they moved the E-tron App to the MMI Connect? Mine doesn't work half as well on that app!

I Love the car I really do, but I'm borderline at the final straw with it - has anyone else had these issues or have I just been exceptionally unfortunate? I understand its a new tech and things will go wrong - but its not the only Hybrid in the house and the other has had 0 issues over 3 years and thats a Porsche which you would think would be worse!

Cheers

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
Hi Guys - new to this forum as I've just been searching for issues with the car and this page came up. I've had quite a few issues with mine - some ranging from little bugs I didn't mind to some damn right dangerous.

Apart from the bug bears mentioned in here such as the charger cover having no warning
-Car currently doesn't have any functioning Wipers - they're attached but no movement and just a massive warning light
-Auto Headlights have a issue and doesn't work
-engine warning light has been on twice in 1 month now
-Charger plug blew up (audi wasn't interested in fixing and instead want £700 for a new plug despite it being a fault fuse)
- interior lights use to flicker switching between engines, was patched after i brought it up
-very very jumpy when switching between power modes, to the point if I pull off the power isn't there for a good second or two

** Little edit, did anyone else get annoyed when they moved the E-tron App to the MMI Connect? Mine doesn't work half as well on that app!

I Love the car I really do, but I'm borderline at the final straw with it - has anyone else had these issues or have I just been exceptionally unfortunate? I understand its a new tech and things will go wrong - but its not the only Hybrid in the house and the other has had 0 issues over 3 years and thats a Porsche which you would think would be worse!

Cheers
That's terrible for an Audi! What country are you in?

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I never had a totally drained battery. I left London with a full battery and arrived in Burnley with a full battery. .
Kjeld... didn't your car run the battery down to 0 miles predicted range, at which point the ICE starts and over a trip gently recharges it to 3-4miles? Or did you leave it in battery hold thus it never used the battery ?

·
Registered
195 Posts
That's terrible for any car.
I hope that your issues are resolved. The e-tron is a great little car and I'd hate for you (or anyone) to not be able to enjoy the car to its fullest.
Any idea why your charger blew up?

201 - 220 of 250 Posts