Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

241 - 250 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
We've had ours just under a week now and we're happy with it. No problems with the locking. We had a dedicated charging unit installed on the front of the house, so we haven't had to use the bulky charging cables, although I am sure they will come in handy when we go further afield. Unsurprising the EV-only range is not quite as far as advertised, but it is enough for our daily urban use, and when the car is in hybrid mode it has been extremely efficient. It will be interesting to see if the electric-only range improves slightly once the weather is slightly warmer.
Not sure if it is worth getting a sim card to get full /easy access to functionality with the Audi MMI system - some thing seem like gimmicks (not sure I've ever felt the urge to tweet whilst driving!) but being able to control settings and program the map from a computer could be handy. Anyone else tried getting a sim?
One v v minor issue is that we paid for the luggage package option - which basically provides a few nets - but we didn't get the 'net in the side compartment' of the boot that was advertised as part of this package, presumably because there's no spare room to do this in the side panels of the boot. It's a tiny issue but annoying as that is how it was described in the e-tron specific brochure.
I bought a 3Gb 3month sim on 3mobile from argos £12 i think or 3mobile do 200mb/month for free. Which should be enough from what i have used so far. Google earth map is clever and news reader but i got it because i wanted remote charging and heating which i now think may work without sim?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Probably repeating what someone else has said but...aux heating in uk uses battery not petrol. Aux heating in app (and car) states departure time but I think it is actually the start time! Best way is to tick the check box in the app/carc charge programme if you are plugged in overnight. Set departure time for charge which seems correct. Set controls on heater to auto and a couple of degrees c higher than you would normally drive on. Heating without being plugged in requires the aux heat option in app best to just click start immediate at bottom of page.

·
Registered
5 Posts
One of the most informative threads, I just took delivery of my new tron a fortnight ago. And have seen the check engine light come and go twice in four days, the EPC once and get no Aux heat option. Still trying to figure our if the Audi e-tron app needs a sim card for connectivity to the car or is it done through satellite. I get updates sometimes every 6 hours, but have not had anything for like two full days now.

·
Registered
204 Posts
no sim card required - (in the UK on my 2015 model) there is a built in one for simple things like the app but you need a 2nd sim of your own to get google maps and online services supported in your area.

YMMV - e.g. it may be different on newer models or in other markets..

·
Registered
3 Posts
As can be expected with that little tiddelysquat battery in the back the range with it is limited. So it just serves me to lower gas mileage IF I don’t just use it for the to-and-from home/office (and that being well within the battery range come cold or shine), but that I do rarely.
I drive a little less than 100 Miles a day (bought the car in May 2017) with a 50/50 town/country mix. Here’s how I do it: I leave it always in “auto” setting, always decelerate in S mode, always accelerate in S mode, once accelerated, shift to D. Decelerating this way you get the most out of recovery charging, while accelerating in S mode uses the e-engine to assist the gas engine, thus saving gas. I never use the EV mode unless I feel the urgent need to impress a passenger of the silent ride... over the 30000 Kilometers travelled so far, the car averages 5.1litres/100 kilometers (i.e. 55.4 Miles per gallon (UK)) (including 2000km at breakneck speeds in Germany, lol). Here’s the point: I never charged the battery. It pretty much hovers around half full, sometimes dipping into the red while going at speeds well over 200km/h, or when standing endlessly in congested traffic while AC or heating are running. Yes, I constantly fiddle with the gear stick going from D to S mode and back, but not doing so drives up my gas mileage by at least a quart (imperial!).

...... I averaged 40mpg overall that day which I think is pretty poor. I previously had an A3 1.4TFSi and this would regularly average 43-46mpg in similar conditions. The heavy traffic coming back south meant lots of driving at 40-60mph which is usually great for fuel consumption but in London the traffic would have taken its toll as well so one pretty much balances the other. I think the big problem is how the battery appears to have that very poor 15-20 mile range and then after that it’s a 300kg passenger in the car. I can’t understand why Audi disabled the recharge mode (sorry not sure what the correct term is) from, I understand, the 2017MY when the Golf GTE still has it now.
can be

·
Registered
1,952 Posts
over the 30000 Kilometers travelled so far, the car averages 5.1litres/100 kilometers (i.e. 55.4 Miles per gallon (UK)) (including 2000km at breakneck speeds in Germany, lol). Here’s the point: I never charged the battery.
I struggle to see how you can get 55mpg and not charge it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
21 miles electric only range which is perfect for me. I gave up my i3 60ah for the e/tron.

Like: I may keep my licence! The i3 is a hoot, foot down and away you go (from other cars), because I want to stay electric only I have to be gentle on the accelerator in this car.

Build quality is stunning, i3 was good but I understand now why Audi is rated so highly.

Ride is more compliant, i3 carbon fibre is much stiffer therefore you feel every bump. The Audi is stiff but softer than the i3 I had.

Range- I had moments with the i3 where I was in need of a bucket with range anxiety but with this I can go further than before.

The adaptive cruise is very good, especially in traffic, i3 was very good too.

Cylinder on demand technology, it is brilliant my brother has an Audi A3 petrol only and the economy one gets from this is good indeed, I know my car is heavier but it works.

The Dash displays, so useful, every car should have something similar as standard.

Dislike: Audi app. It’s rubbish. No link between car and app. BMW waaaaaay better!

Steering. Too light.

Braking- where is the regeneration?? Even the GTE has it.

Weight, - this is where bmw has got it right with the i3, weight is the worst thing for economy both combustion and BEV only. Every manufacturer can learn from them in this regard.

No charge mode, - I am not an expert but can the ancillaries not run off the 12v battery? Like the lights etc, also there’s no charge mode in this car it is uneconomical but sometimes you need that.

Charging off alternator - again im not an expert but is this possible?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Got 25, and 24 miles electric only for the last two days home , work , class and then home again on electric only. Good commuter car.

Have to go up north (grrr) thankfully got the petroleum powered engine in the car too . I do miss the i3 though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I've been away from this forum for a while. But now I have had the e-tron for 3 and 1/2 years I thought it useful to make a few comments.

Range on electric has been a disappointment. Despite advertising 31 miles, the actual miles reported in the car after a full charge is normally about 21 miles. If the previous run was a long one of Hybrid Auto, then it seems to report a higher mileage (although it doesn't actually seem to have a longer range). Whatever, I don't ever get even the 21 miles. My daughters house is 13 miles away from mine, I can normally get there on electric only, but in the winter the electricity has run out in a couple of miles more (say 15 or 16 miles total range) and in summer maybe 4 or 5 miles more (17 to 18 miles total). Despite even the low all electric range it still covers most of my local journeys.

This lack of range makes me very nervous about going all electric. I need a real 220 mile range before I could risk going all electric and although the new Audi e-tron claims 241, my experience with this e-tron makes me doubt what I would get.

The app is and was useless. I haven't used it since the first few weeks with the car. I did try and come back to it, but it then failed to match mileage on the car with my account so I gave up.

Almost exactly on the 3 year boundary (of normal warranty!) the sim card I had in it wasn't registering with the car, meaning I lost on-line traffic. It started intermittently loosing connection, but by the end even removing the sim and replacing it failed. I got a new sim card but that didn't work either, so I took it into the Audi dealer and them ended up replacing the entire multimedia unit (under warranty - but I had bought extended warranty to 5 years - would have cost £2400 otherwise). It still looses online connection sometimes but mostly comes back on its own. Only occasionally have I had to reseat the sim card by removing it and putting it back in. I have an 02 sim with 500MB/month. It does use most of that most months. Occasionally I have had to top up, but I am not whether I care enough to switch to a tariff with more data.

Being retired I average just under 8000 miles per year. I am finding I have to put about £40/month of petrol in the car.

Other than those issues are am really pleased with the car. Build quality is fantastic, comfort is great, car seems (mostly) big enough for my needs, and stuff like the adaptive cruise control make long journeys a pleasure.

Finally I am quite nervous that already the model has ceased production.

241 - 250 of 250 Posts