Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

A3 e-tron

4K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Jimbo 
#1 ·
I have just ordered the car.

The information in the e brochure is pretty poor regarding charging. Does anyone know at what rates the car can charge?

What would happen if i plug it in the ecotricity chargers at IKEA, which are rapid chargers? Would the car still take the charge but bring it down to the maximum rate it can charge at?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi dvdwoo and welcome to SpeakEV.

I am pretty certain the A3 can't use the Rapid network so Ikea will be a no go. You will be restricted to Fast and Slow charging so destination and home charging IMO would be the only charging you should bother with.

#7 ·
It is possible that some Ikea's might have fast/slow chargers which you could use, but if you are talking about the Ecotricity white boxes they dont have a type 2 lead so are no use to the A3 or my Volt as it goes:(

#6 ·
Hi @dvdwoo and welcome to Speak EV. Congratulations on the order!

For all I have seen from Audi the e-tron supports at most "fast" charging and I suspect (but may be wrong) it's a type-2 socket. According to the brochure you'll get all the cables you need, so that's one less worry.

edit: I see @nuWorld Energy gave a bit more detail.

#12 ·
#15 ·
@Chris Everitt They said 3 months at the end of September. But with xmas etc I reckon Jan is conservative.
VW was taking too long for theirs to come out I just went with the Audi. Everytime I go to Westfield in the Olympic Village I don't see any cars making use of the charging posts and there are some on every floor!

Perhaps there arent many EV owners in London?

#16 ·
@dvdwoo
The big problem with London drivers is the fact that most can't charge at home. 4 friends live in London one north west 3 clapham area - none have off street parking. The nearer the centre you go the worse it gets. We did a bit of research into it city centre locations and off street parking - not good if your a bev driver. Not too much of a struggle if your phev.

#17 ·
@Chris Everitt The OLEV are fully aware of this problem and they have ringfenced funding for residential on-street charging stations . I contacted my council and the department that deals with Electric car charging said that the department above them do not intend to sign up to the scheme.

I wanted the contact details of the department that makes the decisions and alas it did not work. I emailed all of my three councillors and I got a reply that they will discuss this matter with the department personally. It's a good thing the OLEV sent me a nice email about the Government's viewpoint on EVs

#18 ·
Until it's a problem for them personally or they have pressure from all sides they won't budge any time soon sadly. You have to remember there are only approx 13000 plug in vehicles on the uk roads using smmt data vs 200,000,000 new vehicles sold every year. These numbers will change especially when you have the likes of Audi range rover merc Kia all brining out plug in vehicles.
Last check with OLEV on street parking funds 4% were used so far - too difficult for installers and few have allocated bays. We have lots of drives in the midlands if you want me to find you a pad? You'd get a 15 bed mansion in the midlands what you have down there, my guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.